Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge: I/We(?) have been cheated!(?)

leemacklin

Jun 14, 2019
Visit site
Something does not seem right! I had purchased a Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935V) when they first came out. She had it about 6 months before she washed it in the washer (how many phones she has gone through is another thread). At any rate, I kept it and recently I decided to see if I could switch out the motherboard to keep it running. WELL, I opened the S7 to start the work and when I got to the motherboard, I found that it has a SM-G928V motherboard :| .... that's a motherboard for a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.

WHAT THE SNAPS???

I reached out to Samsung support and received a couple of pithy responses from their Facebook support team. SO, I'm asking a wider forum of people to see if I was the only one. I have a hard time believing that it was just me...

ACTION ITEM: If you have an old galaxy phone you're not using, take a look. I would suggest videotaping the work you do (sad to say I didn't ... I trusted that I would find what was expected). Not sure if this was localized to a specific store, a region or if it's widespread. ALSO, it could have just been Verizon phones .... I don't know.

Help me out and let me know what you find. Keep in mind ... I still love Samsung products (in spite of a couple knucklehead social media support guys) and Verizon. Well, at least until I know if they've been jacking around with people.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm just speculating here, but maybe Samsung reused the physical board from the S6 edge, and soldered on the chips appropriate for the S7 edge? Since the odd numbered models are typically the iterations (the "tock" of the tick-tock cycle), maybe it's common practice to reuse some of the basic pieces of hardware from the previous even-numbered model in the iterative odd-numbered one?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
S6 edge had a exynos chip all around the world and s7 edge had the snapdragon in US , I wouldn't think they would share parts.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Not too sure about what a motherboard is specifically in terms of the CPU, but what B. Diddy said could be an explanation. Although as a whole I agree with Mustang...the S6 and S7 models have different processors. You could download an app to check/scan the internal components.