Anyone planning on rooting their S7?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Rooting will not be an option for the AT&T and Verizon carrier minority variants as, if not initially, they will render their models, as per previous versions, unrootable, among other things.

DeathAngel74

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
So I decided to root both of my S7 Edge phones. I rooted one first just to see how things would go first. I kind of felt the battery life was OK with it so I decided to root the other phone.

It was easy to root the phones and they made it very easy to do with a Windows computer and aside from using Odin to load an older version of the OS and also to load the custom kernel, everything else was done with .bat files so the process was quick and easy. ADB is required to be installed on the computer also.

After two days, only one of the phones is still rooted simply because the battery life on it was so bad. I went through the XDA root thread for the SD S7 Edge version and made all the modifications including the CPU modes and individual core adjustments and on one phone, they just didn't seem to help and the battery life was still bad. Less than one hour screen time over 18 hrs with 40% left.

The other phone is at 18 hrs standby with one hour screen time and 67% left.

I'm running Adaway on the rooted phone to block ads and have several apps that require root installed as well.

As of now, I have my main sim card in the non rooted phone and I think I'll swap sims so that the main sim is in the rooted phone and I'll use that as my daily now.

I'm very happy that I have two if these phones so I can experiment with things like this. I really like doing stuff like this. My Note 5/Note 4 are still rooted as well and they too are activated with T-Mobile service. Nice thing with this root method on the S7/Edge is that the warranty is not voided by the root method needed. Bad thing about these US SD versions of the phones is that the boot loader is still locked so other than the ability to root, you can't run any custom ROMs on the phone. I did try the TEKX thing over at XDA and it did remove all the carrier garbage but I ended up restoring and rooting the phone again with the carrier bloat included because I prefer it better over what the TEKX stuff does.

Also, someone above posted a pic with this root method on their phone. You can get rid of that VO LTE stuff by replacing a file on the system. That's what I did and this is what mine looks like without all that. I simply used root explorer to browse the the folder where the file is and pasted the new copy there and changed the file permissions as required.

Screenshot_20160727-072940.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech