Urgent ROOT Question! Please read.

power4rmor

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I bought a galaxy s7 edge during launch straight from samsung while my wife got an s7 last week through one of the local carrier(I live in the Philippines). Her phone was acting up like battery just drains even when device is idle and way more when being used and there was once incident when the phone freeze and she was not able to do anything til the phone turned off by itself and got turn on by itself after 2 hours. We brought it over to the samsung smart care service center and they run the samsung diagnostics and found out that the device is root. My wife is just your typical use with no know how about any of these stuff. Out of curiosity I ask the tech guy run a diagnostics on my s7 edge as well and for some reason it is rooted too. I know nothing about rooting and have never planned on doing it.

My question is... How the hell did this happen? Could it be that their diagnostic tool if broken? Do we have a way for a simple user like us to be able to verify if out devices are really rooted? Both of us are stressed as hell as we don't know how did this happen. Our devices has never been used by anyone else and is always locked. Please help!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I bought a galaxy s7 edge during launch straight from samsung while my wife got an s7 last week through one of the local carrier(I live in the Philippines). Her phone was acting up like battery just drains even when device is idle and way more when being used and there was once incident when the phone freeze and she was not able to do anything til the phone turned off by itself and got turn on by itself after 2 hours. We brought it over to the samsung smart care service center and they run the samsung diagnostics and found out that the device is root. My wife is just your typical use with no know how about any of these stuff. Out of curiosity I ask the tech guy run a diagnostics on my s7 edge as well and for some reason it is rooted too. I know nothing about rooting and have never planned on doing it.

My question is... How the hell did this happen? Could it be that their diagnostic tool if broken? Do we have a way for a simple user like us to be able to verify if out devices are really rooted? Both of us are stressed as hell as we don't know how did this happen. Our devices has never been used by anyone else and is always locked. Please help!

I just read your post. I need to look up a couple things, and I will get back to you.

Edit: Take a look at this link...http://androidfact.com/about-samsungs-knox-counter/
If you can reboot into the bootloader, it will tell you if the Knox counter has been tripped.

power4rmor

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I followed the steps and it says 0x0000 but for some reason at the bottom of all those small text says:

DOWNLOADING...
DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET

What is happening now?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry about the delay. You booted into the bootloader. If you longpress the power button, you will reboot back to Android.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Could you install, free, from the Play Store, Phone INFO ★Samsung★. This will generate lots of information about your phone. Can you list what it says under...

ANDROID - Root Existence

CSC CODE - Product code

CSC CODE - Original CSC Code

CSC CODE - Firmware's CSC Code

CSC CODE - Active CSC Code

FIRMWARE - Latest Firmware

power4rmor

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Finally figured out as to why this happend... Samsung did not update their diagnostic software for S7 lol!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I had to do this the other day, on my Note 5. Long press the power and volume down will simulate a battery pull.