A whole new world, I will be a challenge.

Paulpattaya1

Sep 5, 2017
Visit site
Hello people
First a little about me and my knowledge of technology and the world of android. 3 months ago I was driving a Ford model T then someone gave me the keys to a Mercedes S500.
A few months ago I got my hands on a galaxy s7 sm g390fd. Loved the phone and started playing around and finding out more and more what these things are capable of. Then started to run before I could walk.
I'll tell you guys some of my problems and what my very limited knowledge tells me to do, then if anyone would be kind enough to let me know if I'm going the right way, or any real direction I should be going.
Ok before you fall asleep. I rooted my s7 and things were OK. Then I started playing around with storage for a couple of games I like that have big data files. The whole adoptable storage and portions and obb files what can be put where, is way over my head.
The hole I was digging was only getting deeper. Getting no space notices and all things related. So my answer was, (don't laugh) a custom ROM. My intention was um, never mind. What I did was delete apps, files, data and anything I could to make room. Moved anything that I wanted to try and keep to internal SD then I formated my external sd. (64g SD and no access to PC) then moved what I wanted to keep back to SD including the whole titanium backup file manually. Then using twrp I wiped dalvik cache, data, system, internal memory. Basically everything apart from external SD.
Then flashed new ROM resurrection remix and gapps.
Thinking now I can just retrieve the apps and games I want back from ex SD. That's where I started a new hole. First I couldn't get root access for es file manager and link2sd to find my apps. Realising I lost SuperSU. Flashed SuperSU then started to reinstall apps and contacts SMS. Now I have problems, some apps close or won't open. Calendar closes SMS won't open phone app won't open and some other problems. Oh and if I get a call from either a phone or messenger or line, can hear them but they can not hear me.
Also now when I look in storage internal shared something like 41g out of 59 used. And external 31g used out of 57. Way more than it should be.
Now, I really like this ROM, I want to keep it pictures and media I need are on google and I just have about only 5 games with data that I want to keep. Everything eles can be wiped.
I would like to have a s7 with resurrection remix, and enough internal memory to run a few games with big data. And a external SD to keep some pics and videos.
So if any of you nice people have been strong enough to read through my effort a step by step approach to achieving my goal would make me happy guy.
Not forgetting, no access to a PC or laptop.
Last option is going back stock witch I don't really want to do.
Lastly if I have upset anyone by posting this in the wrong place or wrong way I apologize, also new to forums lol.
Thanks
Paul, model T driver.

Paulpattaya1

Sep 5, 2017
Visit site
Hello people
First a little about me and my knowledge of technology and the world of android. 3 months ago I was driving a Ford model T then someone gave me the keys to a Mercedes S500.
A few months ago I got my hands on a galaxy s7 sm g390fd. Loved the phone and started playing around and finding out more and more what these things are capable of. Then started to run before I could walk.
I'll tell you guys some of my problems and what my very limited knowledge tells me to do, then if anyone would be kind enough to let me know if I'm going the right way, or any real direction I should be going.
Ok before you fall asleep. I rooted my s7 and things were OK. Then I started playing around with storage for a couple of games I like that have big data files. The whole adoptable storage and portions and obb files what can be put where, is way over my head.
The hole I was digging was only getting deeper. Getting no space notices and all things related. So my answer was, (don't laugh) a custom ROM. My intention was um, never mind. What I did was delete apps, files, data and anything I could to make room. Moved anything that I wanted to try and keep to internal SD then I formated my external sd. (64g SD and no access to PC) then moved what I wanted to keep back to SD including the whole titanium backup file manually. Then using twrp I wiped dalvik cache, data, system, internal memory. Basically everything apart from external SD.
Then flashed new ROM resurrection remix and gapps.
Thinking now I can just retrieve the apps and games I want back from ex SD. That's where I started a new hole. First I couldn't get root access for es file manager and link2sd to find my apps. Realising I lost SuperSU. Flashed SuperSU then started to reinstall apps and contacts SMS. Now I have problems, some apps close or won't open. Calendar closes SMS won't open phone app won't open and some other problems. Oh and if I get a call from either a phone or messenger or line, can hear them but they can not hear me.
Also now when I look in storage internal shared something like 41g out of 59 used. And external 31g used out of 57. Way more than it should be.
Now, I really like this ROM, I want to keep it pictures and media I need are on google and I just have about only 5 games with data that I want to keep. Everything eles can be wiped.
I would like to have a s7 with resurrection remix, and enough internal memory to run a few games with big data. And a external SD to keep some pics and videos.
So if any of you nice people have been strong enough to read through my effort a step by step approach to achieving my goal would make me happy guy.
Not forgetting, no access to a PC or laptop.
Last option is going back stock witch I don't really want to do.
Lastly if I have upset anyone by posting this in the wrong place or wrong way I apologize, also new to forums lol.
Thanks
Paul, model T driver.

1 more thing, on boot there is 1 short line of red text to small for me to read.

Atifbaig786

Jul 31, 2017
Visit site
Hold On.Did You Just Said That You Used Titanium Backup To Create a Backup From Stock And Restored On a Custom ROM.If You Search Why You'll Know.Well This Is Where Things Get Out Of Hands.It Is Strongly Advised to selvage Anything You can Via A Shareit or anything and Do a full Rest,Format The Card and Start Over.
I can Help you with Game Data Backups Both Internal and SD
I also strongly advice to use Lineage OS as Daily Driver Because of Less Bugs and Huge Community Responses That Will Help You Kill bugs(If Found Any)
And Next Time be Short tell us what you did and What went Wrong.

Paulpattaya1

Sep 5, 2017
Visit site
Hello Atifbaig786
thankyou for your reply, and i apologize for my long winded dribble.
Titanium was done after root. but it now has a mix of backups from 2 different ROMs. I now have titanium pro, would you suggest I delete everything on titanium and only backup what I need on a cloud (Dropbox) then a full wipe including external SD then flash and start fresh with linage OS.
Then perhaps if you can spare the time to help me with the correct storage setup.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Either use Resurrection Remix or the stock ROM - that's your choice. RR won't really give you more space.

If your contacts were Google contacts, they'll sync automatically.

The apps you backed up with Titanium should work on RR if it's the same version of Android as the phone came with. (If not, you'll have to go to the Play Store and install them again. (Different versions of Android sometimes have different versions for the same app.)

Adoptable storage means that the SD card becomes part of internal storage - to the phone, there's no more external storage. Portable storage uses the card as a separate storage medium (like an external hard drive on a PC), and it can be removed and the phone will still work. (But most apps can't be moved to the SD card, and many that can still won't run if they're moved.)

If I were you, I'd flash the stock ROM, install the apps, fix up contacts and anything else you can still get to, to fix. Then start reading the appropriate sub-forum at XDA. Your phone is the Exynos version. Get familiar with the phone before you start modifying it. You're like someone used to horse-drawn wagons who just got a jet and tried to modify the engine. Take it one step at a time.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am inclined to agree with @Rukbat. Try reflashing the stock ROM, and see what you can fix.

Since you should need a custom recovery to flash ROMs, I would suggest flashing that first, make your stock backup, then resume flashing the ROM.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Either use Resurrection Remix or the stock ROM - that's your choice. RR won't really give you more space.

If your contacts were Google contacts, they'll sync automatically.

The apps you backed up with Titanium should work on RR if it's the same version of Android as the phone came with. (If not, you'll have to go to the Play Store and install them again. (Different versions of Android sometimes have different versions for the same app.)

Adoptable storage means that the SD card becomes part of internal storage - to the phone, there's no more external storage. Portable storage uses the card as a separate storage medium (like an external hard drive on a PC), and it can be removed and the phone will still work. (But most apps can't be moved to the SD card, and many that can still won't run if they're moved.)

If I were you, I'd flash the stock ROM, install the apps, fix up contacts and anything else you can still get to, to fix. Then start reading the appropriate sub-forum at XDA. Your phone is the Exynos version. Get familiar with the phone before you start modifying it. You're like someone used to horse-drawn wagons who just got a jet and tried to modify the engine. Take it one step at a time.
Isn't Resurrection a rooted ROM? It just needs to be enabled? I never had a chance to look at that ROM.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've never had a chance to look at it either, but you made me look, and it would appear that it's rooted.