Problems with SD card

bobgarb

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
My Wife had a 32 Gig SD card with the camera saving photos to the SD card, the daughter set the wife's also to save photo's to google photo's but setup google photo's to save in full size so in the end she ran out of space in google photo's, I switched off saving Photos automatically to google photo's to stop the message your running out of space! She then tried deleting the photo's from the SD card but it had become corrupted so I replaced it with a new one, with photo's being saved to it.

Now when she connects the phone and goes to the SD card she see's all of the photo's including the ones on the OLD SD card, I don't understand this! Any ideas?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If you are looking at the photos via the Google Photos app, it shows you both photos on the device and card, along with those saved in the cloud. Do they still show up when using your OEM gallery app?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My Wife had a 32 Gig SD card with the camera saving photos to the SD card, the daughter set the wife's also to save photo's to google photo's but setup google photo's to save in full size so in the end she ran out of space in google photo's, I switched off saving Photos automatically to google photo's to stop the message your running out of space! She then tried deleting the photo's from the SD card but it had become corrupted so I replaced it with a new one, with photo's being saved to it.

Now when she connects the phone and goes to the SD card she see's all of the photo's including the ones on the OLD SD card, I don't understand this! Any ideas?
Hi, which phone you have ?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
As Mooncatt said, Gallery shows both the photos on the card and the photos saved to Google Photos. Put the card into a PC and see what photos are on the card. (And try formatting the old "corrupted" card - it may just need to be formatted. (If you want to get back the photos that were on it, try PhotoRec, it might be able to read the photos, even if the card's file structure is damaged. (It's free so, aside from the time it takes, you have nothing to lose.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you don't need those photos to be in Original Quality, then you can also have Google Photos automatically compress all of those photos to High Quality (which is virtually indistinguishable from the original, as long as the originals weren't a lot more than 16 megapixel in resolution). By doing so, you can reclaim a lot of your Drive space. To do so, go to photos.google.com on your computer browser, click the hamburger menu at the upper left, then Settings, then click the Recover Storage button.