Question Re. Samsung Kies

Willum08

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I have a Galaxy S7 on which the screen is damaged in that it is totally Black, except for a thin 4mm illuminated section at the top of the display. I want to use Samsung Kies to recover all the data on the faulty S7 and transfer it to my Windows 10 Laptop and then to a new S7...

I do know that the Touch part of the display is working since I can turn the phone off by pressing on the appropriate parts of the screen after holding the Power button - I just place the new S7 alongside the faulty S7 to show the position of the Power Off button and Power Off confirm
button.

However, when I start the Kies program, I am presented with the following :

Device Connection
You can connect your device to Kies on your computer using USB cable.
Connection Mode
To connect, you must set the connection mode to Media Device (MTP)
Unlock
You can only unlock the device on the device itself.

Since I cannot see what is on the display, how can I carry out the above instructions, so that I can recover the phone's data ?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately unless the app and computer have already been linked before, unless you can see what's on the screen (unlock the phone which is the most important part, install the app on the phone, authenticate...). And of course, even when that has been done, the phone needs to be unlocked (which shouldn't be a problem if using the FPS).

You could connect an MHL cable to the phone and use it to see the screen on a TV. If you use a hub, you can also connect a mouse to simulate touch if the touchscreen isn't responding. With that, you can follow the steps necessary for a backup.

PS: I didn't know Kies was still being used (it is no longer supported by Samsung). Smarts witch is the current solution, you might also look into that.

Willum08

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply... I'll try Smart Switch.... I didn't realise that Kies was no longer current.

The MHL cable option certainly looked like a viable option but, looking on another website, I saw the following :

"You can also use Miracast and Chromecast to display content from a Samsung Galaxy S7 on a television but I think Wi-Fi is simpler. You might also notice a lack of hard wired option. That’s because Samsung dropped MHL connection compatibility from the Galaxy. so maybe not much hope there ???

Strange thing is that having connected my Galaxy S7 to my laptop via USB, I can see the S7 in the 'My Computer' and selecting it, I can then see two Folders : 'Card' and 'Phone' so the S7 is connected OK

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your reply... I'll try Smart Switch.... I didn't realise that Kies was no longer current.

The MHL cable option certainly looked like a viable option but, looking on another website, I saw the following :

"You can also use Miracast and Chromecast to display content from a Samsung Galaxy S7 on a television but I think Wi-Fi is simpler. You might also notice a lack of hard wired option. That’s because Samsung dropped MHL connection compatibility from the Galaxy. so maybe not much hope there ???

Strange thing is that having connected my Galaxy S7 to my laptop via USB, I can see the S7 in the 'My Computer' and selecting it, I can then see two Folders : 'Card' and 'Phone' so the S7 is connected OK

if you can see the folders, did you try to open them? if unable to open, what was already said still applies.

Willum08

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi me just saying,
Thanks for your reply... Yes, I could open and see the full content of both folders... However, I've solved the problem by using program called MobileTrans which successfully transferred all the data on my damaged S7 to a file on my laptop. I was then able to recover all the data back to my new S7 and I'm fully up and running again. Took some time as you can probably imagine, but it's a really great program, very easy to use and only cost £29.....

Kind Regards.... Stay Safe!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar