Let's discuss about that rumored 12MP camera.....

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
When it was leaked from folks like evleaks that the GS7 may feature a 12MP camera sensor instead of retaining the 16MP sensor found in the S6, there was quite an outrage, as many felt that Samsung was downgrading the camera. Some recent info from Antutu seems to have further evidence that the 12MP sensor is indeed going to the S7, but, like all rumors, take it with a grain of salt.

Now, let's discuss about that camera. Going from 16MP to 12MP does mean a reduction in overall resolution, meaning that photos taken won't be as crisp and detailed compared to a camera with a higher MP count. HOWEVER, there is a point where any increase in megapixel count yields little benefit. In phones, the sweet spot seems to be around the 13MP mark. Yes, we have phones with 16MP sensors like the S6 and LG G4 that take excellent photos, but just hear me out for a bit.

More megapixels aren't always better. The megapixel war made sense in the early days because we had cameras with 2MP at the time. But now, the camera sensor resolution on current phones are so high, it pretty much made very little sense to increase it any further. Remember that phone camera sensors are way smaller than those on an actual camera, so stuffing lots of pixels into that tiny sensor can result in negative effects, like increased noise, color inaccuracy and poor exposure in imperfect lighting conditions.

That's part of the reason why the Galaxy S5 didn't perform so hot in low-light. Its MP count was just too high to shoot any nice photo in low-light as each individual pixel was too small to receive adequate lighting info. To address that, Samsung added OIS to the Note 4, S6 and Note 5, and in the case of the last 2, added an f/1.9 lens to increase the amount of light that enters the sensor. The result is much better low-light performance.

But OIS and a large aperture can only go so far. Remember the HTC UltraPixel? It was actually an excellent philosophy. By ensuring that each individual pixel was large, it can receive much more lighting info and can result in much better night-time photos. However, its execution fell flat as the 4MP sensor resolution just proved to be far too low for good daylight shots. Newer attempts like the Nexus 6P share that same ethos, but sacrificed some pixel size for better daylight photos to achieve a great balance between the 2. The 6P packed a 12.3MP sensor that featured a pixel-size of 1.55-microns. That's smaller than the HTC Ultrapixel's 2-microns, but larger than the conventional pixel size of 1.12-microns, meaning that low-light performance is improved. Couple that with the Galaxy S7's rumored f/1.7 lens AND possibly OIS remaining, the S7 looks to be an absolute stunner at low light.

However, there is an exception to this rule. Samsung has a new camera sensor called BRITECELL. This sensor turns conventional thinking on its head when it comes to low-light photos. Conventional thinking states that larger pixels mean better low-light photos. The BRITECELL turns that on its head because it has a pixel-size of ONE-MICRON, lower than pretty much every camera sensor. Instead, the main benefit comes from replacing the green pixels with white ones. Green pixels are achieved with a filter, which blocks out light. Coupled with features like Smart WDR and PDAF, the sensor is able to improve low-light performance by turning convention on its head.

We're not sure which is going to make it, but if it's 12MP, know that it is not a downgrade. They're essentially trading some daylight photos detail for much better low-light performance.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I didn't know 12MP Britecell sensor has 1um pixel size. That kind of offsets pixel size advantage of smaller MP sensor. Hopefully Samsung knows what they are doing with this camera.

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I think that lowering the MP can speed up the processing speed of the image. Also it can reduce some noise.

Posted with ❤Love❤

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I didn't know 12MP Britecell sensor has 1um pixel size. That kind of offsets pixel size advantage of smaller MP sensor. Hopefully Samsung knows what they are doing with this camera.

I've done some more research on that and it seems to be a 20MP sensor.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
20MP will surely please "more MP = better image" folks but recent S7 rumors say 12MP mostly.
I'm still a little concerned of small 1um pixel size for low light shots. Will see how this Britecell technology works to address that.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
20MP will surely please "more MP = better image" folks but recent S7 rumors say 12MP mostly.
I'm still a little concerned of small 1um pixel size for low light shots. Will see how this Britecell technology works to address that.

If it's 12MP, it's likely for bigger pixels.

I personally don't mind either, but would prefer the 12MP one since it will still take great daylight pics and much better low-light photos.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I honestly can't even tell the difference between the premium device's cameras. After 2015 they're all so good, and as somebody stated in another post, it's more about the photographer than the quality of the camera these days. That said, I'd gladly sacrifice a few megapixels in favor of a 1.7 aperture and faster processing speed.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I honestly can't even tell the difference between the premium device's cameras. After 2015 they're all so good, and as somebody stated in another post, it's more about the photographer than the quality of the camera these days. That said, I'd gladly sacrifice a few megapixels in favor of a 1.7 aperture and faster processing speed.
It's extremely easy to tell the difference, each device and manufacturer process the captured image differently. Some devices favour a brighter more noisy shot while others give a dimmer and sharper photo. There's also the noise reduction algorithms present, it's quite easy to decipher between LG, Samsung and Apple just based on this.

Maybe I'm just a pixel peeper and an aspiring photography geek but I can easily find differences in image quality between all the premium devices.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
It's extremely easy to tell the difference, each device and manufacturer process the captured image differently. Some devices favour a brighter more noisy shot while others give a dimmer and sharper photo. There's also the noise reduction algorithms present, it's quite easy to decipher between LG, Samsung and Apple just based on this.

Maybe I'm just a pixel peeper and an aspiring photography geek but I can easily find differences in image quality between all the premium devices.

I mean, I can tell the difference, but I honestly don't know what makes a photo better. For instance, AC did a comparison with the G4, S6, iPhone 6s and 6p. Yeah, I could tell the difference, but most photos I thought one picture looked better, while the author (I think it was Russell) and some of the comments thought otherwise. That's more what I meant, and the quality, at least for me, is more than adequate on any of those 4 phones. I also do think, and if you check out the pics under the 6p photo thread under stickies, a good photographer makes a huge difference. As an aspiring photographer you obviously appreciate the skill involved.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Probably that. XD

It's hard for me to see a significant difference between the cameras on most top-end phones these days unless there's an obvious difference. They're all pretty darn good these days.

Soft and sweet Marshmallow

anon(5356006)

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree with all of your statements, however IMO Samsung is going with a smaller sensor so they can make the physical size of the camera smaller/thinner, so you won't see larger pixels but rather the same size with just a lower resolution in an effort to make the camera bump smaller.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree with all of your statements, however IMO Samsung is going with a smaller sensor so they can make the physical size of the camera smaller/thinner, so you won't see larger pixels but rather the same size with just a lower resolution in an effort to make the camera bump smaller.

Most rumors/leaks indicate the camera sensor size in S7 would be 1/2", which is slightly larger than previous sensors. So if 12MP, this means larger pixels.

A

AC Question

Why are the mega pixels in the camera dropping in the Galaxy S7?

Is it true that the mega pixels for the S7 camera are going down from the S6? Why would they do this?

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: Why are the mega pixels in the camera dropping in the Galaxy S7?

It enables better low light photography due to larger pixels.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Everything as of now is rumor but the sensor that they are rumored to be using will be a better overall unit with 12mp. The difference will mainly be seen in zoom and when you try to blow up a photo but most people just use their camera on their smart phones for social media and such.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

The S6 already has enough resolution to blow pictures up to sizes you never would, without showing pixels. (I'm talking about 4 feet by 5 feet kind of resolution.) Making a higher resolution in a cellphone is just giving you something you can never make use of. 16MP is more than anyone who isn't a professional photographer would ever need. (And a professional photographer wouldn't use a cellphone, he'd use a camera that costs more than the most expensive cellphone - just for the camera.)

About the only "improvement" they can make from here is resolution equivalent to a 2X2 film camera, and that's well over 2GP, which isn't possible today. (It's like 4k video - it's great if you're showing it on a 60" or larger screen, but on a 12" tablet, you can't see the difference between HD and 4k unless you're too close to see anything but pixels - your eye doesn't have the resolution for that.)

A

AC Question

At what resolution will pictures be on the Galaxy S7?

How high of a resolution will the pictures be on the S7?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49