Samsung Galaxy S7 - My expectations

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
As we count down toward Mobile World Congress 2016, we'll be seeing some new stuff. Hot news from MWC will be Samsung's Galaxy S7, their flagship for 2016 (and the LG G5, which would be a radical device for LG). Let's focus on the S7 and what I expect from the device.

As for design, I am really not expecting much. Samsung has changed their design
language last year with the S6 and I actually think it is unwise to expect a revamped design every year. So for the S7, I'm expecting very minimal exterior changes from the S6, which might make it look like an S6, but I assume there will be other improvements in the basic design in order to differentiate the 2.

What I really expect in the S7 is the internal hardware. This might have the same ethos as the iPhone 6S, keeping a similar exterior but offering a totally different experience inside.

Samsung's Exynos 8890 should make its debut in the S7, which is their first chip featuring their own homegrown CPUs. Qualcomm's Snapdragon 820 may make an appearance here too. UFS storage should make a return along with the long awaited return of the humble SD card slot. 4GB of LPDDR4 might be in and the battery should be bigger to solve the S6's biggest problem, which is its subpar battery life. Samsung might do something radical with the camera and make it 12MP while increasing pixel size plus an f/1.7 aperture and OIS for better low-light performance while retaining excellent daylight performance. As for the display, expect a QHD AMOLED display with some improvements in brightness and color accuracy. Force Touch would be a very welcome surprise on the S7.

As for software, Android Marshmallow is most likely the launch OS, with TouchWiz laid on top. For the S7, I hope Samsung continues to debloat, slim down and optimize TouchWiz. TW on the S6 is much improved, so I hope the same goes on the S7.

Those are my expectations for the S7. I'm eager to hear yours so please plop those down below.

Mmmmm, Android Smores....

w2xq

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
What is the big deal about a new phone? The S7 will be an incremental upgrade and that's about it. The SamMobile.com news website has been dribbling out S7 rumors since at least September. Sorry, with the cost versus the durability of today's hardware, without a significant stable OS upgrade, I just can't see the value of churning phones every year. But that's me.

HAWK

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
What is the big deal about a new phone? The S7 will be an incremental upgrade and that's about it. The SamMobile.com news website has been dribbling out S7 rumors since at least September. Sorry, with the cost versus the durability of today's hardware, without a significant stable OS upgrade, I just can't see the value of churning phones every year. But that's me.
I agree I will be keeping my s6 until the s8 launch more than likely or the note 6... 😉. That being said some people like to stay up to date with the latest and greatest cutting edge stuff

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I want more battery life. I'm also cool with a better camera. Otherwise yeah, I don't see much else that'll be that improved. I have a problem though. I can't help myself.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

People with S5s who skipped the S6 for this precise reason will likely upgrade to the S7. That's usually how it works. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

w2xq

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
People with S5s who skipped the S6 for this precise reason will likely upgrade to the S7. That's usually how it works. :)

A jump from the S5 to the S7 wouldn't surprise me. At the time, the screen size and quad core processor in the then-forthcomng S6 made me made me drag my feet in upgrading from the Droid Bionic I had as my first Android phone. Prior to the Bionic, it was the bulletproof Blackberrys.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

I totally know where you're coming from. I have a G4 and don't plan to change for at least 3 years because I don't see a need to.

But as a tech enthusiast myself, I am always excited for every new phone that's coming out. :)

Mmmmm, Android Smores....

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

I'm in the same boat with S5. I didn't see much reason to get S6 and my S5 is still working fine for me. I didn't experience any bugs, more battery drain with Lollipop update unlike some others. But now it getting close to two years, I feel desire for more speed, storage and better camera. If S7 has micro SD and water-proof as rumored along with bigger battery, that would be solid upgrade from S5 while retaining all good things S5 had.
But if you are happy S6 user, I can see why S7 wouldn't be that appealing as to me.

Last edited:

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

you do realize there are people with S3s, S4s, S5s and plenty of other phones right?

w2xq

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Getbretweir, perhaps you misunderstood my comment. The OP asked opinions about jumping *one* version of a particular phone, going from an S6 to an S7. My response was my opinion that it was not. May I suggest you reconsider your statement?

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
The seem to change design every other year.

I have the s6, and I am planning on getting the Note 6

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Getbretweir, perhaps you misunderstood my comment. The OP asked opinions about jumping *one* version of a particular phone, going from an S6 to an S7. My response was my opinion that it was not. May I suggest you reconsider your statement?

thank you for the kindly worded response and yes, my misunderstanding and I certainly retract my statement.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Battery life was simply not good enough for me to keep my s6 and I sold it months ago. If they up the battery, I'll consider the s7

Keith Grech

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I really hope you are right when it comes to debloating which depends alot on the carrier. I have an S5 and am looking forward to upgrading to the S7 Edge. Ive been happy with the S5 but the bloatware is ridiculous! Hope to see a change with that. I would really like to see the removable battery make it's way back but I know thats not an option with the S7 Thanks... Keith G

anwarabir

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Samsung has finally confirmed what we were all expecting. The Samsung Galaxy S7 launch will take place on February 21 at MWC 2016, with the firm sending out invites for its next Unpacked event. The latest suggests it'll come with a water-resistant design so it may survive a quick dunk in a pool. While Samsung has also accidentally confirmed that we'll be getting a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge too.

Last edited:

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm interested to see how it goes once real users get their hands on the S7's. Between my S6 and MXPE, I see no reason to upgrade incrementally. There's just not that much they can put on a smartphone these days that would really get me that excited. The big goodies have already been done IMO. I shall enjoy sitting this one out and listening to others enjoy their new S7's.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat with S5. I didn't see much reason to get S6 and my S5 is still working fine for me. I didn't experience any bugs, more battery drain with Lollipop update unlike some others. But now it getting close to two years, I feel desire for more speed, storage and better camera. If S7 has micro SD and water-proof as rumored along with bigger battery, that would be solid upgrade from S5 while retaining all good things S5 had.
But if you are happy S6 user, I can see why S7 wouldn't be that appealing as to me.

If the S7 has the features reported it seems pretty clear that Samsung built this phone to tempt S5 users to upgrade. The S6 feature set pretty much left me cold and I had zero desire to upgrade. I went from a S4 to a Note 4 after the S6 announcement. Will be interesting to see if the next Note builds on the S7 design. If so then I can see my clear upgrade path.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800