S7 or S7 Edge?

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
If you are thinking about or going to get the newest version of the Galaxy, which one do you prefer and why? I currently have the S6, but am intrigued by the Edge version. I certainly like the bigger screen as I am older and my eyes are not what they used to be. What are the pro's and con's of each? Just want to think about it while we wait for the big reveal!!!!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm way too addicted to the S-Pen now to 'go back' to an S model, BUT if it comes out with intriguing features, I just might give it a try. That being said, I'd like an S7 plus... I really like the bigger screen, but I've used an Edge phone before and the 'side' features are gimmicky at best, developer support for those is near to nonexistent, and while a lot of people don't seem to mind, the glare and reflections off the bends at each side just gets in the way for me. Yes, it looks intriguing and a bit sexy, but once you try to look at the screen comfortably, those do get in the way, at least in my opinion. I also found that having a touch-sensitive portion of the screen on the sides caused way too many accidental inputs and actions while simply holding the phone. Plus, a lot easier to get good cases and screen protectors to good ol' flat screens than curved ones.

So, yeah, I'm not a fan of curved screens (TVs either... they just....that's not... looks so... why???!...ughhhh!!! hahaha).

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'd prefer the Edge+ only for the bigger display. I expect them to improve the ergonomics though. The S6 Edge was to sharp and uncomfortable to hold.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I haven't gotten used to the big size. Now that the pants are getting tighter and tighter :p it's so weird carrying a big phone in the front pocket. Sticking out. With the fear of bending while sitting.

I used to have the note 4. Loved it. But switched to the S6 for the newer faster software. Realized then how convenient it is to carry a small portable phone. It was so handy. After a few months I switched to the S6 edge. In green. It's a beautiful beautiful phone! Although I loved the S6 Gold Platinium too.

But I think I'll try sticking with the edge. In the world filled with flat slabs, edge brings something unique on the table. I like spending money on something unique.

Posted via the Android Central App

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far. Interesting debate. I wondered if while holding the phone, the sides to the Edge would cause accidental input and mess up what you are doing or viewing. I can see that being a pain if so. I just want a bigger screen. I would prefer 5.7 as the sweet spot for my tastes. But 5.5 is okay. If they regular G7 was 5.5 I would probably go with it. But it is only 5.1. Decisions, decisions...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
For me it did. Not all the time, but it did when it mattered: while showing a picture to someone or watching a video and turning the phone's screen to show someone (or when they grab the phone from you, that's usually the first thing that happens haha). There's not much in the edges to press, though, but it's annoying that sometimes it can interpret it as a tap or a weird pinch to zoom/pan, or in videos, just pause it because it sensed a tap.

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I will probably get the Edge due to the bigger screen and battery if there is no Plus unit coming out. I was hoping for one with a bigger screen, something at 5.7. But 5.5 will do if it has that size battery in it.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
For me the Edge aspect is a 'meh' feature. The biggest selling point for me is that 5.5" screen. I always thought the Notes were too big and 5.1" is just a bit too small. I think Samsung has scored a real knockout settling on 5.5". It a real sweet spot I believe. Oh, and that massive battery is a huge plus also.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
S7 edge. It looks so much better in my opinion, and having a really big battery is gonna be nice. I'll keep my S6 edge for times when I don't want such a big phone with me.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
How big is the battery? I've got a note4 and like the S-pen and removable battery also the memory card.
We haven't got the Note 5 in the UK yet so god knows if we will even get this new one

Posted via the Android Central App

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
It's rumored to be 3600mah. Big improvement from the 2600mah in my S6 edge.

huge improvement ... hopefully they can borrow some pointers from the Note team and get similar optimization. if so it'll be a beast.

i can personally do without the Edge feature but that battery/display combo is tough to resist.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
If you are thinking about or going to get the newest version of the Galaxy, which one do you prefer and why? I currently have the S6, but am intrigued by the Edge version. I certainly like the bigger screen as I am older and my eyes are not what they used to be. What are the pro's and con's of each? Just want to think about it while we wait for the big reveal!!!!

If it comes as an s7 edge+ I'll consider that over the regular s7. I had a s6 edge (small version) and didn't like it. It would take a lot to convince me to try it again.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I got my Gold Platinum GS6 Edge as soon as it was available, no regrets, love my phone!
I work in construction, outdoors most of the time and so far, no problems with glare and the few drops haven't damaged my phone so far. *Knocks on wood!

But I'd love to have the same features as the Note line on my phone because I don't want a bigger screen.
So, if the GS7 has the same features as the Note line, I'll get the GS7 Edge in a heartbeat!
If not, I might still get it, or wait and see the Note 6.
We'll see.

On the curved TVs, I definitely agree with SpookDroid!

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Definitely the standard S7. I prefer the feel of the regular S6 vs the S6 edge in the hand. Also it's cheaper.

So if I go for any it'd be the regular S7 :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674