Galaxy S7 - Why ONLY 32G memory? NO other options? Technical or marketing?

ClassiCore

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Why ONLY 32G memory? NO other options? Technical or marketing?
With the S6 it was the battery. With the S7 it’s memory. With my S5 I can place at least SOME apps on the SD card. NOT with the S7. DATA only NO apps. That means there is LESS than 25G for apps along with the apps data. And when you factor in the Bloatware. Did Samsung just create a GREAT phone and then shoot itself in the foot?
This seems senseless. Giving back the SD card with one hand and taking away phone memory with the other is maddening. And of course BOTH Samsung and LG have blocked using Marshmellow’s combining Main and SD as one contiguous block.
I am convinced that this will be a real deal-breaker for many; and the Apple heads are laughing their heads off.
I will ask about the fact this GREAT camera will only take 4:3 and NOT 16:9 in another post.
ClassiCore

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Why ONLY 32G memory? NO other options? Technical or marketing?

I am not so sure that it would be a big deal for many. Sure a very small minority, but certainly not many.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I'd say it's to save them costs. Especially since they put the SD card in that a lot of people wanted.

lared

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

Monetary without any doubt, most people buys the cheapest option anyway and Samsung saves on logistics and production costs.

Posted via Android Central App

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site

Because they did not make money last year. They killed a lot of Sku's. Only one edge model and only size. Sure, I would like more storage but with micro SD, no big deal.

Posted via the Android Central App

ClassiCore

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site

You sound as if SD will solve the GS7 memory issues. Not Quite. NO APPS can be run from the SD card. (unlike with the GS5) In other words in the GS7 implementation of the extended memory you are pretty much limited to music, video, photos.
Now if it is possible to instruct your APP to locate all the DATA generated for that APP on the SD card, that would address part of the problem. But unless I'm mistaken (and I hope I am) the APPS in the PHONE memory have NO access to the SD card AND vice versa. In other words ALL your APPS are limited to that 32Gig, and in today's world that can get eaten up real fast. Especially since YOU really only have LESS than 25GB after OS & other system overhead.

ClassiCore

devoncatt

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site

They do have a 64GB model but not for sale in the US or EU!

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

I am not so sure that it would be a big deal for many. Sure a very small minority, but certainly not many.

Lump me in that basket, I could care less. I think it's only going to affect extreme users which is a VAST minority.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

This is why they deleted the adoptable storage in Marshmallow.

"The problem with the feature is that it requires the memory card to be formatted first and then encrypted, before it starts behaving like internal memory. And once the card gets adopted, you can't remove it (sure, you can do that physically, but that's not recommended) .

That's the reason why Samsung isn't supporting the feature. The company said, "Samsung decided not to use the Android Marshmallow 'adoptable storage' model. We believe that our users want a microSD card to transfer files between their phone and other devices (laptop, tablet, etc), especially the photos and videos they shoot with the camera."

"With adoptable storage, first of all the card may be erased the first time it is inserted into the device. This behavior may be unexpected by many users and we don’t want our users to lose their files. Second, once Marshmallow starts using a card for adoptable storage, it cannot be read by other devices, so it loses this ability to be used for file transfer."

Both Samsung Galaxy S7 and LG G5 ditch Android 6.0's adoptable storage feature - GSMArena.com news

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

You sound as if SD will solve the GS7 memory issues. Not Quite. NO APPS can be run from the SD card. (unlike with the GS5) In other words in the GS7 implementation of the extended memory you are pretty much limited to music, video, photos.
Now if it is possible to instruct your APP to locate all the DATA generated for that APP on the SD card, that would address part of the problem. But unless I'm mistaken (and I hope I am) the APPS in the PHONE memory have NO access to the SD card AND vice versa. In other words ALL your APPS are limited to that 32Gig, and in today's world that can get eaten up real fast. Especially since YOU really only have LESS than 25GB after OS & other system overhead.

ClassiCore

I have a Note4 where I have all of my apps on the internal memory and all of my videos and music on the 128gb sd card. 32gb is plenty just for apps.

Posted via my kicking Samsung Galaxy A5

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

Yep, 32gb is way more than enough for just apps. People need to think smart here and stop whining. Music, Pictures, Videos, documents can all go on the SDCARD. Keep the internal only for apps.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

This is why they deleted the adoptable storage in Marshmallow. The problem with the feature is that it requires the memory card to be formatted first and then encrypted, before it starts behaving like internal memory. And once the card gets adopted, you can't remove it (sure, you can do that physically, but that's not recommended) .

Makes perfect sense and I'm glad they did it that way, thanks!

jls1986

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site

I agree ClassiCore. Really would have liked to get one with more internal storage and just not needed an SD card at all. My s5's internal storage is constantly full with my apps and years of texts so I have to run CCleaner daily just so I can install app updates, and that's with all my music and pics on the SD card. Hoping 32GB will be plenty for the couple years I have the phone.

jls1986

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site

This is why they deleted the adoptable storage in Marshmallow.

"The problem with the feature is that it requires the memory card to be formatted first and then encrypted, before it starts behaving like internal memory. And once the card gets adopted, you can't remove it (sure, you can do that physically, but that's not recommended) .

That's the reason why Samsung isn't supporting the feature. The company said, "Samsung decided not to use the Android Marshmallow 'adoptable storage' model. We believe that our users want a microSD card to transfer files between their phone and other devices (laptop, tablet, etc), especially the photos and videos they shoot with the camera."

"With adoptable storage, first of all the card may be erased the first time it is inserted into the device. This behavior may be unexpected by many users and we don’t want our users to lose their files. Second, once Marshmallow starts using a card for adoptable storage, it cannot be read by other devices, so it loses this ability to be used for file transfer."

Well then they could have just shipped the phones with the feature disabled by default. Then people that want to use it can go in and enable it. I've had my s5 since it released and haven't taken the SD card out of the phone a single time.

jastman

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site

That might be the simplest and smartest solution I have ever heard!! I wish they could have done that, or better yet, find a way to push an update out so this could be a possibility. But of course they always have to dumb it down for the masses cuz too many basic smartphone users couldnt handle it or grasp it. Lame.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

Monetary without any doubt, most people buys the cheapest option anyway and Samsung saves on logistics and production costs.

Posted via Android Central App
Here in UK, the vast majority of people buy the 32GB S6/S6 edge.

brava27

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

What a silly post. 32gb is more than enough for everything development.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

I'm guessing XDA will find a way to enable this option and allow for adoptable storage. It could still be done without root access.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

With all my pics and videos on my SD card, my current phones internal 32gb still has 6gb available. 32gb is a lot of apps and crap to hold lol

anon(730457)

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

I have an HTC One M8 with 32GB of internal storage, wher 16GB is used with 200 apps, 6GB of "other" (including BeyondPod podcasts), 1GB of photo/video (I admit I'm not a heavy camera user, and I offload them anyways), but most of my storage is in a 32GB microSD card, which contains mostly Music (18GB), and the Android folder there (which contains app data and was completely automatic) only contains 2.3GB of data and would reside just fin on internal storage, so currently I'm not worried about Samsung's decision to include only 32GB of internal storage with a microSD card slot. 64GB total will be fine for me for years, but I'm not sure what you put on your phone.