Photos taken with the S7/S7 Edge

Haridhar

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Am a huge fan of Windows Phone. Been waiting for quite some time, after grabbing Lumia 1520, for a flagship from MS but that didn't happen. As Win Mobile 10 is in build stage n surface phone won't be happening very soon, wish to buy a android (first android phone and only Samsung strictly...no other brand). Would you recommend me to go for s7 edge or wait for s7 edge+?

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Am a huge fan of Windows Phone. Been waiting for quite some time, after grabbing Lumia 1520, for a flagship from MS but that didn't happen. As Win Mobile 10 is in build stage n surface phone won't be happening very soon, wish to buy a android (first android phone and only Samsung strictly...no other brand). Would you recommend me to go for s7 edge or wait for s7 edge+?

I don't expect there to be a s7 edge +. Unless you mean Note 6.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, once Sasmsung announced the specs for the sensor, that caught my attention (looking to upgrade my wife's phone and camera performance is numero uno for her). F/1.7, 1.44 pixels... larger sensor.... I have a 6P and I saw pretty quickly how going to a sensor better able to handle light leads to improved results.... not just in low light, either. One thing that I notice when comparing shots in good light that I've taken with the 6P and G4... is that when you look down at the pixel level, the 6P starts to lose detail due to pixelization effects; it can't be sharp anymore because the pixels are, well, just pixels. On the G4, I'm far more likely to see processing artifacts. Those 'oil painting' smudges and blotches, etc.

When light levels drop, the difference starts to show much 'farther out'. Which makes perfect sense as you compare a shot between the two. We were at a nighttime show and both took basically the same picture. My 6P will have taken a picture with an exposure of 1/40s at ISO200, the G4 took that same picture at 1/30s and ISO900. The G4 pic was brighter, but that's about it. The 6P shot had less noise, far more detail, the bright portions of the picture were'nt overexposed, etc.

Back to the S7. For a lot of the shots you all see online, you might not be able to the advantages that the S7's camera has... the pictures will be scaled down, the quality reduced, etc. One thing I really liked about those camera shots on GSM Arena were that it allowed you go zoom into the original shots and really see the low level detail differences that pop up, even in conditions with a lot of light.

Oh, and don't be worried about the supposed 'loss of detail' by 'dropping' to 12MP. A 16MP 16x9 sensor (like the one in the S6), when switched to 4x3 (which is more in line with the photography world anyhow), becomes a 12MP sensor. Yes, there are other factors like FOV, etc, but you aren't forcing the pixel to look at more information in and of itself.

So I applaud Samsung for joining Google in the 'go big or go home' sensor move.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Irony!

Attachments

• 1456953246269.jpg
    1456953246269.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 1456953258078.jpg
    1456953258078.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 221
  • 1456953269280.jpg
    1456953269280.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 227
  • 1456953277618.jpg
    1456953277618.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 233

ChrisR

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Looking good! How do you guys like the camera settings? Also, is anyone using U1 SD cards? Asking because I was originally getting a U3 but, even so those, some pics will still save to internal memory. So thinking of buying more GBs for the $s and go microsdxc U1, but don't want to waste my time if everybody thinks it'll be way too slow.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Looking good! How do you guys like the camera settings? Also, is anyone using U1 SD cards? Asking because I was originally getting a U3 but, even so those, some pics will still save to internal memory. So thinking of buying more GBs for the $s and go microsdxc U1, but don't want to waste my time if everybody thinks it'll be way too slow.

@ChrisR:

i went through the identical thinking process you did, and ended up with this one:

SanDisk 200GB Ultra UHS-I microSDXC Memory SDSDQUAN-200G-A4A B&H

my reason is that nowhere does it say exactly up to which protocol the S7/S7 Edge are compatible with and can take advantage of! that's ridiculous. who wouldn't put out specs? you know who? those who have devices which would NOT be compatible with the newest and latest protocols, so by obfuscating this detailed specification, they are able to not emphasize it and let the people out there to spread the "downsides of this phone" around.

i love this phone. still, do please tell us if it's UHS-I or UHS-II? After all, we paid ~$700 for it!

that said, we are at where we are, and we're not going to get any more info out of Samsung if they do not wish to disclose this. some eagle eyed testing guy would have to go in with the proper equipment and then let us know!

in the meantime...i decided that i'd opt for this particular version of Sandisk, as the lower capacity models of this same line has, oddly, LOWER SPEEDS, and lack the words "Premium Edition" on the packaging! of course, i understand like we all do that Premium Edition are merely marketing words, but still, if you read the fine print, this 200gb card is faster than the 128gb et al.

so, i ended up with this one which i thought would be the best current compromise given the information that is disclosed to us at this point in time.

Jelly Belly

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Do you have the full size images anywhere for us to see? Most images look great when reduced down to the size. I want to see the noise is the shadows.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
how would one upload an attachment and NOT allow the androidcentral interface to automatically downsize?

i don't see such an option.

ChrisR

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
@Dualmonitors thanks a lot for your answer! Totally agree about the lack of info from Samsung. I feel we are basically being told just get a fast u3 card because it's PROBABLY better when in fact nobody really knows what speed is supported by the device. And then, when I find out by trial and error that I wasted money on a 64GB u3, I now have to spend more on another card because I need more storage. I'd rather get a 200GB from the start like you did. Thanks again for your input, much appreciated!

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
@Dualmonitors thanks a lot for your answer! Totally agree about the lack of info from Samsung. I feel we are basically being told just get a fast u3 card because it's PROBABLY better when in fact nobody really knows what speed is supported by the device. And then, when I find out by trial and error that I wasted money on a 64GB u3, I now have to spend more on another card because I need more storage. I'd rather get a 200GB from the start like you did. Thanks again for your input, much appreciated!

you're welcome.

may i ask what you meant when you wrote: "...when i found out by trial and error that i wasted money on a 64gb U3..."?

i don't follow. how did you find out by trial and error, may i ask? thanks.

ChrisR

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
@Dualmonitors fair question! Let me clarify. I pre ordered the s7 and won't get it until next week. I am working on a storage strategy and I want the max storage I can get i.e 64GB for u3 or 200GB for u1. If I had a guarantee that u3 improves buffering, I'd go u3. Since I don't, I'm leaning towards u1 because I don't want to find out later after trying the s7 that I went for less than half the GBs just because I fell for the u3-is-better-myth. Your input is extremely valuable because I also wanted to find out if u1 works in the real world.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
@Dualmonitors fair question! Let me clarify. I pre ordered the s7 and won't get it until next week. I am working on a storage strategy and I want the max storage I can get i.e 64GB for u3 or 200GB for u1. If I had a guarantee that u3 improves buffering, I'd go u3. Since I don't, I'm leaning towards u1 because I don't want to find out later after trying the s7 that I went for less than half the GBs just because I fell for the u3-is-better-myth. Your input is extremely valuable because I also wanted to find out if u1 works in the real world.

Ah, @ChrisR, you performed a virtual trial and error! ;)

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
@monicakm: if you log into your own account on the androidcentral.com Android app, the pictures will load. it sometimes takes around 10-20 seconds to load all the pictures on a page though.

I am logged into my AC account but can rarely see a photo. Since I can see a few, I have to wonder if it's the way it's upload. Of all the photos in this thread, I can see the first one (dog and shoe) and the light bulb and night view. The rest just show a paperclip. its the same on my S5 and GN 10.1 2014 It might be the difference between uploading from a computer or linking from an online photo sharing site.

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I am logged into my AC account but can rarely see a photo. Since I can see a few, I have to wonder if it's the way it's upload. Of all the photos in this thread, I can see the first one (dog and shoe) and the light bulb and night view. The rest just show a paperclip. its the same on my S5 and GN 10.1 2014 It might be the difference between uploading from a computer or linking from an online photo sharing site.

Are you using the mobile version of AC forums? If so, I notice the paper clips as well. On the AC forums app however, the photos load.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463