Photos taken with the S7/S7 Edge

mesocyclone30

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I have recently switched back to an Android phone after going to an iPhone 6 Plus for a year. i totally love the iPhone camera quality. I wanted to get a GS7 after hearing about how good it is and the camera being top of the line. I was with a HTC One M7 before but got fed up with the phone hardware on Android phones. so now i have the GS7 and am disappointed in the camera lens quality. there is distortions with straight lines not being straight and when photographing lights in the dark the lens flare is awful. see here:
The first shots is with the iPhone 6+

Now with the GS7:

that being said I'm surprised no one else has complained about this. do i need a replacement or is the lens just crappy? I like the phone for the most part. And am glad to be on Android again. ;)

Last edited:

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Pro Mode/burst mode. This is easier as a two-man job but it was just Howie and me.
Howie has been with us for about 5 weeks. He showed up one very stormy night. He was
scared, wet, wounded, full of fleas, worms, and starving. Now he's NONE of those things plus
loved SO very much, happy, healthy, neutered and up on his shots.

Howie&Biscuit.jpg

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Try shooting in pro mode and adjust your aperture (2nd option from the left) down (larger number). That will let less light in. Just slide the adjustment back and forth and you'll see the difference on the screen. You might need to slow down your shutter speed too. Just slide it back and forth till you get the picture you're wanting.

This is kinda a crude comparison as there are no lights...wait, I DO have some lights I can demonstrate with. But here is one of the ligthts in my bathtub. The one that has the green color wash all over the white tub was shot in auto. See how the light it's self is blown out? To keep that from happening, you need to let LESS light pass thru the lens. A larger aperture number is a smaller opening...less light passing thru.

The second picture is in Pro mode with the aperture and shutter speed adjusted till I just got the nice green color (vs blown out white color) of the light. Depending on how you adjust the slider, you'll get different results. I like using a 2nd curtain flash that gives me a tight light (not blown out) with "star" rays and it illuminates the scene. I don't think the S7 has that...but maybe it does :) Just using those two sliders... aperture and shutter, you can see what the scene will look like. Hope this helps. Probably not explaining very well. I have a grand-daughter impatiently waiting for my attention :)
LightAuto.jpg
LightManual.jpg

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I was just going to say I must be missing a setting lol. Don't forget to check the metering mode as well.
I think in the OP photo, the camera is a victim of having such a good lens. I know this sounds daft but what it's trying to do is get as much of the photo exposed as possible which leads to the overblown highlights. All cameras have a limited dynamic range. HDR may have helped in that situation.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I know this sounds daft but what it's trying to do is get as much of the photo exposed as possible which leads to the overblown highlights.

Oh, you're dead on. When that camera peers into the great beyond and tries to set up the shot, it's making decisions.. and for exposure, just about every phone looks at the whole image and tries to find the middle ground, even if that middle ground is the worst possible point on which to expose.

It often pays to just take a moment to check your focus/exposure point.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I take a lot of pictures right here with my granddaughter and "neighbors". The lighting is tricky...mostly shady with some sun. I've found, on my S7, that Pro mode and "spot" metering give me the best outcome but blow out the sky. How can I (or can I?) get a properly exposed subject AND properly exposed sky. I can usually achieve this with using a fill flash on my Canon but that doesn't work with the S7.

SS&Horse1.jpg

SS&Horse2.jpg

SS&Horse3.jpg

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I take a lot of pictures right here with my granddaughter and "neighbors". The lighting is tricky...mostly shady with some sun. I've found, on my S7, that Pro mode and "spot" metering give me the best outcome but blow out the sky. How can I (or can I?) get a properly exposed subject AND properly exposed sky. I can usually achieve this with using a fill flash on my Canon but that doesn't work with the S7

Have you tried it with HDR on, although looking at the pics you posted even that may struggle to get the full range.

mesocyclone30

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
regarding purple flares... i found some discussion about it on XDA Forums. there are others with the problem. one guy thinks it's bad IR Filter problem and the phones need replaced out. S7E Camera Thread - Post #672
Looks like mine might be bad. I see flares from my remote control.
9a6a015e480fc8c501f891b60a58c48e.jpg

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Yes, it's on in this scenario.

What I would do is shoot in raw, drop the exposure compensation down one or two stops and then post process on my Pc to recover the info in the darker areas if needed.

This won't totally fix the sky but it would have helped with the blown out highlights on your granddaughters arm and face in the second image

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol