03-10-2018 08:59 AM
160 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I've noticed mine has stopped when I didn't download any apps to the sd card. Only thing I have on there right now is music and pictures.
    03-20-2016 12:54 PM
    I might of found something that works.
    I tried the following:
    -Go to Settings and select Battery
    -Tap More on the top right side and select Optimize Battery Usage
    -Change the dropdown menu to All apps
    -Scroll down to System UI and deselect it to de-optimize it
    Since doing this last night, the only time I see the SD card notification is when I restart the phone. I haven’t seen it appear between sleep and back on but I will keep on checking for the next day or two and see how things go.
    I hope this works for you!
    03-20-2016 12:59 PM
    I might of found something that works.
    I tried the following:
    -Go to Settings and select Battery
    -Tap More on the top right side and select Optimize Battery Usage
    -Change the dropdown menu to All apps
    -Scroll down to System UI and deselect it to de-optimize it
    Since doing this last night, the only time I see the SD card notification is when I restart the phone. I haven’t seen it appear between sleep and back on but I will keep on checking for the next day or two and see how things go.
    I hope this works for you!
    Thanks for the tip I just did your suggestion. Fingers crossed...
    03-20-2016 01:31 PM
    Just got it again. Thought it was a text message, nope. Also when I just went to take a picture it gave me the memory card prompt that it gives like when you first put a card in....Maybe it won't come back after now...
    03-20-2016 02:38 PM
    Since It seemed to be working fine with my Samsung Evo+ 128gb card, I decided to install the original card I had in there which was a Samsung Pro+ 128gb but now I'm getting that notification again and probably more often than before. So I guess Deselecting the optimization didn't work. If there is no solution by Wednesday I think I will try and exchange the phone again for the third time and hope for the best.
    03-20-2016 09:31 PM
    Hi, I am having the same notification and occasional "media card not supported" problem and the only way to get rid of it is to remove the SD card (!.. On the same note, I noticed that "MediaServer" process is running constantly and eating my battery, every time the SD card is inserted...

Tried reformating SD card (64G, SanDisk), to no avail... Huston, we have a problem...
    03-21-2016 12:18 AM
    After exchanging the phone on Saturday, I have not had one notification other than the normal reboot one. Seems to clearly point to some defective models or at least ones with flaky contacts fitting.
    03-21-2016 01:33 PM
    Other thing I'd recommend is trying another card.
    Almeuit likes this.
    03-21-2016 02:28 PM
    I haven't had the notification come back since I moved an app, just one, to the memory card.

I was just getting the "SD card for transferring photos....."

No card mounting errors....
    03-21-2016 02:40 PM
    I haven't had the notification come back since I moved an app, just one, to the memory card.

I was just getting the "SD card for transferring photos....."

No card mounting errors....
    Update, a restart got the SD notifications going again, 2 hours from reboot to notification. Also my app I put on the sd card was unavailable. Had to switch it back to internal then external again. Probably will be silent until another reboot, but is no permanent fix. Guess I'll try a different card...

EDIT: ANOTHER NOTIFICATION UGH!!!!!!
    03-21-2016 09:45 PM
    Update, a restart got the SD notifications going again, 2 hours from reboot to notification. Also my app I put on the sd card was unavailable. Had to switch it back to internal then external again. Probably will be silent until another reboot, but is no permanent fix. Guess I'll try a different card...

EDIT: ANOTHER NOTIFICATION UGH!!!!!!
    Try this
    Go to battery and stop optimization of 3 processes,
    System UI, Download manager and Media storage.
    That's what I've did, in addition I've formated the card through the phone after that.
    Restarted, and so far all good.
    I believe that one or all of them being stopped / killed by system and therefore all starts over, including all memory mounted and read, including external SD card.
    03-22-2016 07:23 AM
    Try this
    That's what I've did, in addition I've formated the card through the phone after that.
    Restarted, and so far all good.
    I believe that one or all of them being stopped / killed by system and therefore all starts over, including all memory mounted and read, including external SD card.
    Thanks for the info. What I did last night, is I popped in an older 32gb sandisk ultra class-10 from my galaxy s5 that had been flawless for 2 years. Formatted, restarted, normal reboot notification, camera working properly, etc. X-fered all my data. No notifications so far (12+ hours) with this Sandisk Ultra 32gb. Problem is, it's only 32gb .

As it is I still have System UI battery optimization, turned off and that is it.

I'm going to try a SAMSUNG EVO+ 64gb and see if I have success.

May be hardware related, may be software. I have a gut feeling it may not be playing well with certain UHS-3 speed cards, or it may be hardware (size) related to certain cards not seating properly, so I'm going to stick with UHS-1, and fwiw use a SAMSUNG card because they are the same brand.
    03-22-2016 07:44 AM
    Glad to see that this is not a persistent issue and can be fixed
    03-22-2016 07:54 AM
    Need to measure the "fix" over a day or 2. to see if it truly fixed. My worry is it is just hiding the issue and the card is still being "disconnected" and "reconnected" due to a flimsy design/connection.

I would hope that a permanent fix from Samsung (maybe adjusting the tray design slightly) to improve the connection would be offered.

I do not think it is a software issue, my gut is that it is hardware issue.

And by the way I did the recommendation:

And I just got the notification again (1 hour later)
    03-22-2016 08:07 AM
    Need to measure the "fix" over a day or 2. to see if it truly fixed. My worry is it is just hiding the issue and the card is still being "disconnected" and "reconnected" due to a flimsy design/connection.

I would hope that a permanent fix from Samsung (maybe adjusting the tray design slightly) to improve the connection would be offered.

I do not think it is a software issue, my gut is that it is hardware issue.

And by the way I did the recommendation:

And I just got the notification again (1 hour later)
    Guys been following this forum, and thought I had a fix, but as soon as I copied all my files on card yesterday, all notifications came back today. I think it's hardware of card slot being defective and soon ssas card being used a lot, it happens.
    I've used 2 brand new cards, expensive, Samsung Evo Plus and SanDisk ULTRA, same problems.

My suggestion and decision for myself, is to return the phone back to where you've bought itit, if it's not too late.
    I believe Samsung knows about this and already fixed it. It's only defective in early batch, that's why many other people saying all works perfectly, including memory card.
    03-22-2016 04:15 PM
    I opened a chat ticket with Samsung tonight and during the conversation their response was "Pradeep Y: It is a become a known issue."
    They had me try booting into safe mode in which the notification still came back and proved its not a 3rd party app. They also had me clear the cache but that didn't help either. The only option currently is for me to send in my device for repair which takes 2 weeks and I declined at this point.

Pradeep Y: Hi, thank you for reaching out to Samsung Technical Support. How may I assist you?
    Brian: Both of my Samsung S7 phones receive constant SD card notifications either when I reboot the phone or when I don't. I have tried different SD cards and even reformatting the card and it still continues. It appears there are a TON of people reporting this same problem on this forum Is this a hardware problem and I should warranty both phones or will this be solved in a future software update?
    Pradeep Y: Hello, Brian.
    Pradeep Y: I understand how difficult this is for you. However, please rest assured I will do my best to resolve the issue.
    Pradeep Y: May I ask you a few questions to help you better?
    Brian: Sure
    Pradeep Y: Are you referring to model number SMG-930P?
    Brian: Correct
    Pradeep Y: Thank you for confirming.
    Pradeep Y: Have you performed any troubleshooting steps to fix the issue?
    Brian: Yes multiple hours worth
    Pradeep Y: Thank you for confirming.
    Brian: Both S7 phones have the same issue and have identical new 64GB micro SD cards. I have tried different SD cards and the issue remains. I have hidden the notification and it still returns after a reboot or multiple times per day.
    Brian: I have tried formatting the card, encrypting the card, and nothing seems to help. As I read on the forums there are multiple people having the same issue.
    Pradeep Y: I understand how something like this can really test your patience. I will make sure that you receive all the assistance you need.
    Pradeep Y: Let us perform few troubleshooting steps to fix the issue.
    Pradeep Y: Let us boot the device in "Safe mode" and check for the result as it will disable all the third party applications on your phone and will help us to isolate whether the issue is with the device itself, or due to the installed applications.
    Pradeep Y: Below are the instructions for Safe Mode :
    Pradeep Y: First Power the device off.
    Pradeep Y: After power off, Press and hold the Power key.
    Pradeep Y: When the Samsung logo is displayed on the screen, release the Power key and immediately hold down the Volume Down key.
    Pradeep Y: Hold the volume key till the the device completely reboots.
    Pradeep Y: If successful, Safe Mode will appear on the device screen in the bottom left corner.
    Pradeep Y: Note: To exit Safe Mode; power the device off.
    Brian: The up, down, or both volume keys?
    Pradeep Y: Up or down.
    Brian: Trying those steps now
    Pradeep Y: Please let me know if you face any difficulty in performing the above steps.
    Brian: The phone booted normally and not into safe mode. Let me try it again.
    Pradeep Y: Sure, Brian.
    Brian: Ok I used these instructions (). I was releasing the power button at the first Samsung S7 logo and I needed to wait until the 2nd one.
    Brian: Now it says safe mode during the device unencryption but when it fully boots it goes out of safe mode. Do I need to disable device boot encryption to get into safe mode?
    Pradeep Y: Yes, Brain.
    Brian: ok just a minute, trying that
    Pradeep Y: Sure, thank you.
    Brian: ok I am in safe mode
    Brian: And sure enough the SD card notification is there at the top
    Pradeep Y: Please check now after in safem mode you are receiving the notification
    Brian: Yes its there
    Brian: It says "SD card"
    Brian: For transferring photos and media
    Brian: So would you agree this problem is NOT 3rd party app related then?
    Pradeep Y: Yes, I do agree Brian.
    Pradeep Y: Let us perform wipe cache partition on the device.
    Pradeep Y: 1. Power the device off
    Pradeep Y: 2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
    Pradeep Y: 3. When the device vibrates; release only the Power key.
    Pradeep Y: 4. When the Android system recovery menu displays; release the Volume Up and the Home key.
    Pradeep Y: 5. Navigate with the Volume keys to the wipe cache partition option and press the Power key to select.
    Brian: Cache wipe complete
    Pradeep Y: Please reboot the device Brian.
    Brian: ok
    Pradeep Y: Thank you Brian.
    Brian: SD notification is there again
    Pradeep Y: Okay.
    Pradeep Y: Let me check for alternate options to help you.
    Pradeep Y: In this case let us perform factory reset on the device.
    Brian: Some people on the forums think its a hardware problem, others think its a bad design in the water proof door on the SD card.
    Brian: I am hesitant to perform a factory reset because everyone on the forums said they already tried a factory reset and it still returns.
    Brian: So have others reported this issue or am I the first?
    Pradeep Y: I agree with you.
    Pradeep Y: It is a become a known issue.
    Brian: So any idea what Samsung will do to correct the issue? Is it a hardware flaw or will it be fixed through a software update?
    Pradeep Y: As it is a s7 device it runs on the latest software.
    Pradeep Y: I have tried all troubleshooting steps and regrettably it has not fixed the issue. The next step would be to have the device physically examined. The other options would be to check with your carrier for any additional alternatives they may have
    Brian: Like I said because both my phone and my wifes are having the issue I doubt they are both bad unless its a flaw in the design.
    Brian: My coworker has an S7 on Verizon and it has the same problem so it shows its not carrier specific.
    Brian: Can you open a ticket with your team and keep me updated?
    Pradeep Y: Yes, Brain.
    Pradeep Y: I will surely help you file a ticket.
    Pradeep Y: We will bring the device in for evaluation, and the repair technician will determine if the cause of damage is due to defect or an external source. If a defect is found by external source, you will receive an email with the option to pay for repair. If the damage is caused by a defect, the device will be repaired under warranty.
    Pradeep Y: > The TAT (Turn-around-Time) for the phone service is 2-3 business days for shipping + 5-7 business days for Service + 2-3 business days shipping.
    Brian: Is that my only option to send it in? Since you stated "It is a become a known issue." what are others doing that have the same problem?
    Pradeep Y: Following the same procedure as per samsung policy.
    Brian: How long is the warranty on the S7?
    Pradeep Y: It will under warranty from the date of purchase till 12 months.
    Brian: I think I will wait a few months and see if the issue can be corrected via software update or after talking to Sprint before I send it in for repair.
    Brian: I don't want to be without a phone for 2 weeks if it does turn out to be a software issue.
    Pradeep Y: I do understand your point, I agree with you completely.
    03-22-2016 09:06 PM
    Wow, what is this about paying if the issue is with an external source. Its happening with to many people. What external source? Its the phone or software no questions about that. They should just fix the phone right and be done with it. These phones should have been tested properly before release. As expensive as these phones are they shouldn't have issues like this. I'm taking mine back to the store today and exchanging it for a new one. I hope that it will work properly.
    03-23-2016 11:23 AM
    Greetings S7/S7 Edge nation,

Same problem here. My wife and I purchased two new S7 Edge phones, yet her phone, with a 128 GB SD card, is the only one having the issue. Mine has a 16 GB SD card and I haven't seen the notification once since I installed the card 4 days ago.

I see that a factory reset has solved the problem for SOME users. Has anyone done a factory reset AND formatted the SD card, YET still suffers from the same problem? Also, any word from the horse's mouth (Samsung)?

Just a bit of history here: prior to this recent purchase, we had 4 Samsung products: Smart TV, 3D BLU-RAY player, an S3 phone, and an S4. We luved them all. However, ALL BUT THE S3 had defects (with thousands of online threads on each subject), yet Samsung never owned or admitted to any of them.

Moral of the story: there's a pattern of hiding/ignoring defects here. This is a $700+ phone and we aren't going to tolerate their games this time.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Please and thank you 😊😁

S.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-24-2016 10:13 AM
    Has anyone else actually opened a ticket with Samsung? If not I encourage you to open a ticket so they know how many users are having the problem. You can open a ticket by going to the Samsung website and clicking on support. Here is the response I got from opening an email based ticket:
    Thank you for taking the time to contact us at Samsung Technical Support. We always appreciate hearing from our customers.

It must be upsetting as you are receiving SD card notification on the phone when you reboot. I can certainly understand your concerns regarding the issue. I will assist you with the required information.

I appreciate your efforts in trying to troubleshoot the issue by changing different cards and formatting the cards.

I have checked the resources and see that as of now we do not have any reported updates regarding the SD card notification issue. The issue you are experiencing might be due to the below possible causes:

1. Third party applications may cause the issue.
    2. Physical or liquid damage on the phone.
    3. Phone software not up to date.

To isolate the issue, please perform the below troubleshooting steps.

Soft reset: These steps will refresh the internal circuitry of the
    phone.

Please perform a simulated battery disconnect on the phone, by pressing
    and holding the Power button and the Volume down button simultaneously
    for approximately 10-20 seconds to reboot the device.

If the issue persists, try to boot the phone in safe mode. These steps
    will disable the third party applications and will refresh the internal
    circuitry of the phone.

Safe mode:

1. Power the device off
    2. Press and hold the Power key.
    3. When the device vibrates; release the Power key and immediately hold
    down the Volume Down key
    4. Keep pressing the Volume down key until the device boots up
    completely.
    5. If successful, Safe Mode will appear on the device screen in the
    bottom left corner.

Note: To exit Safe Mode, power the device off.

If the issue stands unresolved, perform hard key reset on the phone.
    These steps will completely reset the device, deleting ALL settings and
    all data on the device (including phonebook entries, pictures, games,
    and messages).

Please backup the data using the Smart Switch software. Please access
    the link below to Know more about the Smart Switch.

Link:

To download the Smart switch on your Computer, please follow the below
    link.
    Link:

To download the Smart switch on your MAC, please follow the below link.
    Link:

Once you install the software on your PC, please follow the below
    instructions to Back-up the data.
    1. Open the Smart Switch application.
    2. Connect your device to PC\MAC.
    3. Tap on Backup.
    4. Tap on OK.

Once you backup the data, please follow the below Factory reset steps on
    your device.
    1. From the Home screen, select Menu.
    2. Select Settings.
    3. Select General tab.
    4. Scroll to Back up and reset.
    5. Select Factory data reset.
    6. Select Reset device.

I am positive that the issue will get fixed after performing the above
    steps. I hope these options would be feasible for you. If you have or
    need any further clarifications, please revert to our email and we would
    be more than glad to assist you.

Should you desire additional assistance, we invite you to access the web-link speak to a Chat Specialist. Our technicians are more than happy to assist you further. Chat Support is available 24X7.

For additional support and updates regarding your product, please follow us at @SamsungSupport on Twitter or like our page at

Thank you for choosing Samsung products.

If you have a minute, please fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. To begin the survey, click on the “Start Survey Here” link at the bottom of this email. Please note that you can access the survey page only when the pop-up blocker is disabled in the browser.
    03-24-2016 12:09 PM
    Having the same problem on my S7 Edge. Was using a Sony class 10 64GB SD card that I purchased with the phone from T-Mobile, was getting the pop up all the time. Purchased a Samsung Pro Plus 64GB MicroSDXC Memory Card and it happens MUCH less, only once every two days or so. Still it's annoying and is obviously an issue effecting a lot of us.

I wish they would provide a software fix for this as it's my only complaint about the S7 Edge!!
    03-24-2016 06:25 PM
    I've tried 3 different memory cards now. Really seems memory card dependant.

-Sandisk Extreme 32gb UHS-3 = RANDOM NOTIFICATIONS
    -Sandisk Ultra 32gb class10= NORMAL
    But I really want/need, so
    Most recently:
    -SanDisk Ultra 64gb UHS-1 = 1 RANDOM NOTIFICATION SO FAR (happened overnight, formatted and xferred my data last night)

I'm getting ready to exchange the phone.
    I've opened a ticket with SAMSUNG, but they only suggest "reset" type of corrections, which do not work.

There is another thread on the EDGE sub-forum which everyone is providing more data, worth a look/sub:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...g-up-help.html
    03-25-2016 07:49 AM
    Has anyone else actually opened a ticket with Samsung? If not I encourage you to open a ticket so they know how many users are having the problem. You can open a ticket by going to the Samsung website and clicking on support. Here is the response I got from opening an email based ticket:
    I got the same response, tried their fixes, no success...
    03-25-2016 07:51 AM
    Has anyone done a factory reset AND formatted the SD card, YET still suffers from the same problem?
    Yes. Factory reset yesterday morning and kept the card in the phone and formatted it with the reset. I left it unmounted while I set up and installed apps, then mounted it and took a few pictures just to get some files on the card. The phone then set up/moved all the cache folders onto the card as well, not initiated by me. I was hoping when I set it up with the card unmounted it wouldn't do that. Anyway, woke this morning to the notification and then again and again, 3 or 4 times already this morning in the span of 3 hours.

Waiting on my local Best Buy to get them back in stock so I can bring it in for an exchange. Hoping at this point it's the tray and the new batch will have it fixed. Until then, hoping someone finds a definitive solution.

By the way, I have an Edge, but I've been checking here as well.
    Sherif82 likes this.
    03-25-2016 07:57 AM
    I've tried 3 different memory cards now. Really seems memory card dependant.

-Sandisk Ultra 32gb class10= NORMAL
    But I really want/need, so
    Most recently:
    -SanDisk Ultra 64gb UHS-1 = 1 RANDOM NOTIFICATION SO FAR (happened overnight, formatted and xferred my data last night)

I'm getting ready to exchange the phone.
    I've opened a ticket with SAMSUNG, but they only suggest "reset" type of corrections, which do not work.

There is another thread on the EDGE sub-forum which everyone is providing more data, worth a look/sub:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...g-up-help.html
    Updating this:
    -Sandisk Ultra 32gb class10= NORMAL (2 years old, used every day in my S5)
    -SanDisk Ultra 64gb UHS-1 = RANDOM NOTIFICATIONS
    -SAMSUNG EVO+ 64gb UHS-1 = RANDOM NOTIFICATIONS

back to the -Sandisk Ultra 32gb class10= NORMAL (4+ hours so far)

I'm going to exchange mine tomorrow. I just had the thought of copying all data from the NORMAL card over to one of the BAD cards, to see if I can force a fix through some file trickery, but I don't have the energy.

-
    03-25-2016 09:30 PM
    I'm starting to think this is a hardware problem on some devices where the SIM/SD card tray doesn't seat correctly. That would explain why there is no rhyme or reason between carriers, phones, cards.
    03-26-2016 07:54 PM
160 ... 23456 ...