constant SD Card Notification "SD CARD for transferring photos and media"

BHowardTR3

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
got my S7 Edge in Titanium Silver on T-Mobile yesterday and yes it is amazing!

threw a 64gb sandisk micro sd card in it - format card in the phone - recognized and working fine

put some music and pics on the card via my PC

every half hour or so I have this annoying "SD CARD for transferring photos and media" message popping up in my notification shade. It has two options explore or eject.

Anyone know how to disable this?

BHowardTR3

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
got my S7 Edge in Titanium Silver on T-Mobile yesterday and yes it is amazing!

threw a 64gb sandisk micro sd card in it - format card in the phone - recognized and working fine

put some music and pics on the card via my PC

every half hour or so I have this annoying "SD CARD for transferring photos and media" message popping up in my notification shade. It has two options explore or eject.

Anyone know how to disable this?

[This is happening with me as well and all did was press and hold the notification and it took to"system iu" and I just turned off all the notifications" I hope this works from you and I, we shall see.

SAILORdudes

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Same issue and tried all suggestions:
- Used the SD card as storage for camera
- Formatted it

None of it worked. At least good to see it doesn't seem to be an issue with my particular phone or card. Guess it's a bug that will hopefully be fixed soon.

Cheers!

phantomlink

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
The card I was using was a Transcend 32gb Class4 micro I've had for awhile, I swapped it out for a test with one of my dads Kingston 16gb class 10 and I didnt get an error once.

Time to swap out my card it seems

nicklooney

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
When on the lock screen press the SD card notification and swipe all the way up. You then have to unlock the phone, but it takes you directly to the screen that lets you turn off this notification. I would put the path but now that I have done it, I don't remember. If I figure it out I will update.

jcgonzalez311

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. Notification keeps coming back, but I'm also getting a new message. It says "SD card ejected unexpectedly". I was browsing through my gallery and it crashed. Then the SD card would be recognized again and I could see my pics again. Annoyed and now worried...

Posted via the Android Central App

BillArf

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. Notification keeps coming back, but I'm also getting a new message. It says "SD card ejected unexpectedly". I was browsing through my gallery and it crashed. Then the SD card would be recognized again and I could see my pics again. Annoyed and now worried...

Posted via the Android Central App

I would try a different microSD card and see if the issue persists.Only time I see the notification is if I do a restart of my or my son's S7. Your issue could possibly be microSD card related.

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
None of these tricks will stop this from coming back sooner or later. It is a bug of some sort or a hardware issue. You can turn off the notifications in thy lock screen, but the pull down notification with the little menu bar icon will eventually come back even if you unmount the sd card. I'm starting to think that there might be an issue with the fit or pressure of the sd card in the slot. I'm trying a piece of blue tape behind it now to see if that helps at all. (didn't seem to help) Because the card will mount by itself after unmounting and without rebooting, I am thinking that maybe it is simply toggling it's mount but I haven't ever seen it go away by it self when not asleep, so I'm not sure. The other theory is maybe an app keeps calling it up in the background? I prefer the bad contacts theory.

One thing is certain, it doesn't matter what carrier, or what brand SD card.

Last edited:

Marty1781

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if there are multiple issues at play here. Seems some get the card notification pop-up consistently no matter what they do while other like myself only get it after rebooting the phone. Those that get the message after rebooting the phone only, the issue I think is software related (I'm using a 64 GB Samsung card). Those that are getting it constantly throughout the day, could be hardware/pressure or software related like xgman states.

phantomlink

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Since installing a different SD card to test, and then buying a new one I haven't had the message come up yet and my phone doesn't act up anymore and is smooth so my hardware upgrade is now a success

l8knighter

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
I opened a ticket with Samsung but so far they have had me try basic steps to solve the issue so here is what I tried tonight. I am using a PNY U3 Turbo Performance 64GB High Speed MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-I card and whenever I reboot, the message comes up for me as well. Sometimes during the day I will launch my camera app and it will say a SD card has been inserted. Other times it will freeze the camera when launching. I then tried to format the SD card and even encrypt it and it still didn't help. When encrypted after a reboot I would get the SD card along with an encryption message each and every time I rebooted as well. I then tried my older SanDisk Ultra 32GB microSDHC UHS-I Card from my Note 2 that has worked for the past 2 years and it has the same message on my S7 as well. I have an Otterbox Defender case on my S7 so I know the SD card is not getting bumped around so it must be a software bug as I proved tonight its not a problem with the SD card brand/make.

Shmag

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys, just wanted to post a solution to the problem. All of you with this phone, that use an external SD card, are getting an annoying notification that says, "SD card For transferring photos and media," and it doesnt seem to go away. If this message appears over and over again in your status bar, the only known way to get rid of it was to previously just keep "clearing" it out or remove the SD card completely.

If you are receiving a notification "SD card For transferring photos and media" on your Samsung Galaxy S7 and you cannot get the notification to go away, please try to do the following:

1. BACKUP your sd card - plug your phone into your computer and copy off the contents of the SD card
2. On the phone, navigate to: Settings >> Memory >> SD Card
3. In the submenu, choose FORMAT

All of the data on the memory card will be formatted to the correct file system and the memor card will be reconnected to the phone for proper use. The message, "SD card For transferring photos and media" should no longer appear.

Hopefully this helped you out! Thanks!

I tried this and many other suggestions even turned the notifications off. This continues to persist. I contacted samsung and they said they never heard of this issue. Well now they have. They don't have a fix for it. Told me it was an error/issue. Guessing i got a defective phone. I'm returning it tmrw. I'll try a new one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34