Smart Switch or Kies?

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I was going to back up my S5 using Kies, and a pop-up appeared for SmartSwitch. I Live Chatted with a Samsung rep who said Kies won't work with any OS higher than 5.
Is SmartSwitch the best/only way to go?

Posted via the Android Central App

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
That's always the hope, but not always the reality, depending at times on who you talk to. This forum is often more accurate. ;)

BearlyFloats

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
SideSync has also been pulled for the Mac so my only option with the Note 5 has been either an OTG dongle or SmartSwitch. Kies is a total no go.

tkco

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Smart Switch worked well for me. I connected old Galaxy S4 to new Galaxy S7 with a cord. Pretty smooth process. Doesn't transferred apps but not their settings (have to re login to each app service). But I sort of expected that.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Smart Switch worked well for me. I connected old Galaxy S4 to new Galaxy S7 with a cord.

I've seen others talk about just connecting the phones with a cord, too. I've already backed up my S5 to my PC, using the PC-loaded SmartSwitch program. Maybe I didn't need to do that, based on what you and others have done (hooking one phone to the other directly)?

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I have successfully used Wondershare Mobile Transfer to totally backup my wife's Galaxy S4 to my MacBook Pro. Need the USB cord, but it is one of the few programs that will give you a choice on what to back up. It also backs up all text messages. My wife is in real estate and hardly ever deletes text messages and uses them to communicate with other agents. When her S4 hit the concrete and the screen cracked she really needed a new phone WITH all her text messages and everything else. I got her a S6 and used this program to totally transfer everything. Worked perfectly. Good luck.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Another question or two on SmartSwitch -
If I have some apps currently moved to the SD card in the S5, do I need to include the contents of the card when I do the backup?
Or, since I'll just be moving the card from the S5 to the S7, do I just pop the card into the S7 when it gets here and be good to go?