s7 battery life horrible?

Duffin

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey, to all who've gotten their s7 phones by now, how has your battery life been? I got the phone yesterday and let the battery die before recharging to 100%. This morning, though, it's saying I have only 9 hours and 24 minutes left even though it's at 94%. What gives?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It probably isn't calibrated yet. I wouldn't worry about it. Use it like normal and see what you get.

Duffin

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
How does that happen? I've always just done the thing where you let the phone die and recharge to 100% and it's good.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
That battery meter on the phone is inaccurate. I'm at 95% now and 9 hours and 30 min remaining. But, the first 5% of battery lasted for an hour and a half

Duffin

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Hm, okay, well I'll certainly give it a few days. I hope it catches up. I don't need it 100% accurate, but I'd definitely like a ballpark time of how long it should last. My previous phones were pretty good about saying how long was left.

I mean...it's been off the charger for 1.5 hours and it says it's at 90% right now..

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Couple of things to note:

1) Most phones have a 'dead spot' at 100%.... the percentage is basically just a mapping to a few numbers in the power system... and when you take it off the charger, it'll remain at 100% for a bit before it starts to drop. I seem to recall the G3 I had would hang at 100 for an extremely long time.

2) Those numbers are estimates based on usage. If you take the phone off the charger, turn the screen on and jump right on it, the only thing the phone has to go on is an hour of active, screen on usage. So the "time left" will be pretty short. If you take it off the charger, leave it powered off for a bit, that 'time left' will be a lot longer.

In any case, I'd caution anyone putting a lot of stock in battery usage the first few days you have the phone. You're loading apps, taking a bunch of pictures, etc... it's the honeymoon phase. Once you settle back into 'normal' usage, you'll start to see real info.

Duffin

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Couple of things to note:

1) Most phones have a 'dead spot' at 100%.... the percentage is basically just a mapping to a few numbers in the power system... and when you take it off the charger, it'll remain at 100% for a bit before it starts to drop. I seem to recall the G3 I had would hang at 100 for an extremely long time.

2) Those numbers are estimates based on usage. If you take the phone off the charger, turn the screen on and jump right on it, the only thing the phone has to go on is an hour of active, screen on usage. So the "time left" will be pretty short. If you take it off the charger, leave it powered off for a bit, that 'time left' will be a lot longer.

In any case, I'd caution anyone putting a lot of stock in battery usage the first few days you have the phone. You're loading apps, taking a bunch of pictures, etc... it's the honeymoon phase. Once you settle back into 'normal' usage, you'll start to see real info.

I appreciate the response, it's just weird because I've had Samsung and LG phones and none of them were THIS inaccurate out of the box before.

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
My S7 average battery life is over 11 hours according to GSAM. It's actually been good, I'm a fairly heavy user.

If your home has poor cell signal you likely will see reduced battery life since the phone will transmit it's cell radio at 100% power.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have an S7 Edge that I got on Friday. I am on the first full battery charge now and at first, it was saying I would only get 14hrs standby. I started using it a bit and that increased to over 16hrs. The phone learns how much battery life you will get based on what apps you use and your overall usage. It's going to take a few days before you actually realize the battery life you will be getting.

Also as mentioned above, if you have a poor signal where you are, that will suck a lot of battery power too. Several years ago, I used AT&T. My phone at the time would barely make it past 16hrs standby with a few hrs usage if that. AT&T unlocked my phone and I immediately went to T-Mobile. Because I get much better service on T-Mobile in my area then AT&T, my battery life DOUBLED just by switching the carrier.

Duffin

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
My S7 average battery life is over 11 hours according to GSAM. It's actually been good, I'm a fairly heavy user.

If your home has poor cell signal you likely will see reduced battery life since the phone will transmit it's cell radio at 100% power.

Posted via the Android Central App

Yeah, I know signal will kill a battery. Had it happen a couple weeks ago in a small town, but I have great signal at home and at work.

sling1

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm having great battery life none root stock with good amount of 3rd party apps on board.
Social apps - twitter ,Facebook have push notifications disabled & Weather Underground app has 2 hour refresh

Results: Moderate+ use
8 hour device sleep draw 2-3%
Full LTE , GPS enabled , Bluetooth enabled & Screen Brightness 80%.
22 Hours on battery & SOT 5.5 Hours with 7% battery remaining.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I got the phone yesterday and let the battery die before recharging to 100%.

How does that happen? I've always just done the thing where you let the phone die and recharge to 100% and it's good.

Letting the battery die should be avoided whenever possible. It doesn't help to calibrate anything and is damaging to the battery, which can result diminished capacity (worse battery life) or even in damage to the device itself.

Duffin

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Letting the battery die should be avoided whenever possible. It doesn't help to calibrate anything and is damaging to the battery, which can result diminished capacity (worse battery life) or even in damage to the device itself.

Not really true, the battery still has a charge. It's designed to not discharge completely these days to stop that from being an issue.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not really true, the battery still has a charge. It's designed to not discharge completely these days to stop that from being an issue.

I'm not talking about hitting absolute zero, I'm talking about letting the charge fall to low. Ideal charging usage is to keep the battery between 40% and 80% as much as possible and avoid deep discharges. The battery takes less stress doing slightly more frequent shallow discharges and charges as opposed to high or even full depth of discharge cycles. The two highest recommended actions a person can take to prolong battery life are 1. Avoid excess temperature swings and especially prolonged high temperatures (charging while using GPS, leaving the phone in the sun, extended video or gaming while the phone is hot, etc) and 2. Reducing the depth of discharge (not running the battery too low, and especially never to 0% as that becomes a 100% DoD).

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Results: Moderate+ use
8 hour device sleep draw 2-3%
Full LTE , GPS enabled , Bluetooth enabled & Screen Brightness 80%.
22 Hours on battery & SOT 5.5 Hours with 7% battery remaining.

Was this on the S7 or the S7 Edge?
Because that's pretty good, specially considering you have the brightness set up at almost maximum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar