Galaxy S7-All the right moves and then stumbles at the finishing line (only has 32gb internal)

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. When the Galaxy S6 came out, I joined the chorus of complaints about the changes. Many Samsung enthusiasts perceived the S6 to be an iphone clone, even imitating the 3 tier level hard drive storage. Many of us lamented the sealed batteries, smaller capacity battery, the loss of SD card, loss of water proofing. When the Note 5 came, it was the same thing and even worse, as it was perceived to be nothing but a bigger S6 with an S pen.

Many of us wrote posts regarding the S6 echoing the same sentiments. I for one accepted non removable batteries but said that Samsung stop trying to be an Android iphone and bring back the SD card, water proofing, bigger batteries and stop the then current nonsense of making phones ridiculously thin.

Kudos to Samsung this time around. No one can say the Galaxy S7 is an iphone clone. The return of the SD card, water proofing, bigger batteries and slightly thicker handsets. Bloody fantastic innovations such as water proofing without flaps too-class leading now. Awesome camera innovations such as reversing the nonsense megapixel war and innovating where it truly counts-increased sensor size and lower aperture. Plus the new and class leading duo pixel focus borrowed from DSLR's. The Galaxy S7 has done so many things right and then some. Samsung has gone above and beyond IMO with the addition of other features like a low power always on display, radiator cooling pipes, new gaming interface features such as power saving frame rates and recording of game play. All in all, a brilliant turn around for Samsung with the new S7 handsets with awesome features and specs, and some that are now the top of the tree.

And then they trip at the finishing line by offering only 32 GB in much of the world. Make no mistake-this will be a deal breaker for some. I should know, I am one. I have a Galaxy S5 which I was going to give to my wife whilst I got the S7 Edge. I now will wait and see either the next Nexus, Galaxy Note 6 or S8. This could have been a non issue if Samsung didn't pull the plug on Google's new adaptable storage feature. And before some of you respond, yes I know that Samsung have done an about face and apps can be moved now to the SD card. This is a second class feature compared to adaptable storage. I know from my S5. Firstly, not all the data is moved to the SD card, secondly you have to go to settings and fiddle around with "internal" or "external" storage. Also, not all apps can be moved, some apps can be moved but with loss of features such as widgets and sync. adapters. And finally, when an app gets moved to SD and is updated, it goes back to the internal storage where you have to move it again back to SD. So as I say, this is a second class option compared to Google's new adaptable storage.

How the frigging hell can Samsung be so stupid in 2016 and offer only 32GB? Here in Australia, all the carriers and the stores only have the 32 GB version, whilst online retailers will be offering the 64GB versions too. If I am paying full price straight up, I don't want my phone coming in the mail like an electricity bill. I cannot believe Samsung would do this whilst their main competitor goes up to 128GB. Also, I don't care about a "free VR". What would have been far better if if Samsung rewarded pre orders with a 128GB upgrade and maybe throw in a free let's say 32GB SD card.

I cannot believe some of the stupid decisions from Samsung lately. The Note 5 not being offered in the UK and now this short sightedness of only up to 64GB hard drive, with only 32 GB in a lot of the world. Considering how brilliant the rest of the S7 is.

Well, Samsung listened to the complaints of the S6 and hopefully will make amends of the hard drive with the S8. I believe when a phone is over a thousand dollars here in Australia, the base model should be 64GB. But well done Samsung with the rest of the specs. Hopefully you won't lose too many customers with your hard drive decisions, but unfortunately as I can't live with just 32GB and don't want to muck around with moving apps to SD like I do currently with my S5, I have to overlook your otherwise brilliant new phone. I am confident that the new S7 will outsell by a lot the S6 and S5 and it deserves to. It just would have sold more again if you didn't make the poor hard drive choices.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S7-All the right moves and then stumbles at the finishing line

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree, that is a pretty baffling move, especially considering that even many midrange phones are ramping up their internal storage and RAM specs significantly.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

I respect the opinion, but I have to disagree. I have a 32gb 2014 Moto X and that doesn't have expandable storage. I've been doing fine with it for 1.5 years. And I noticed that my music, photos, and videos by far take up the bulk of my space. Having an SD card slot fixes all that, as all those items can be easily stored on it. Thus, you have 32gb only for apps, which is more than enough.

What's truly embarrassing is a flagship being offered in a 16gb option, like the iPhone. Give me 32gb and expandable storage over 128gb and no expandable storage and $100 per each extra storage option any day.

Posted via the Android Central App

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree, that is a pretty baffling move, especially considering that even many midrange phones are ramping up their internal storage and RAM specs significantly.

Thanks. It's just that this latest S7 is at the top of the pile on so many feature and specs and behind on a mundane item as hard drive size. You would think a flagship Samsung will at least be matching 128GB like other phones and offering all hard drive variants everywhere. This is a bit like some great sports car coming out with every awesome feature then having a tiny fuel tank. Truly baffling. Samsung, next time, unless you are producing the 256GB hard drive, offer 64GB as base model and optional 128GB.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

I respect the opinion, but I have to disagree. I have a 32gb 2014 Moto X and that doesn't have expandable storage. I've been doing fine with it for 1.5 years. And I noticed that my music, photos, and videos by far take up the bulk of my space. Having an SD card slot fixes all that, as all those items can be easily stored on it. Thus, you have 32gb only for apps, which is more than enough.

What's truly embarrassing is a flagship being offered in a 16gb option, like the iPhone. Give me 32gb and expandable storage over 128gb and no expandable storage and $100 per each extra storage option any day.

Apps cannot "be easily stored" on SD, as you say. You have a phone without an SD and I have the Galaxy S5 which I can store apps on it. It is hardly "easy". As I said, not all apps can be moved to SD, not all the data is transferred to SD and some of it remains on hard drive, many apps lose some functionality on SD and there is the constant pain of having to move apps over and over again back to SD every time it updates on Google Play. All this is so unnecessary when Android Marshmallow has the option of adoptable storage, which has the benefits of encryption, which you don't get when you move items to SD.

The whole thing is a really stupid decision by Samsung. Apple will breathe a small sigh of relief with this gaff. I was correct a year ago when I predicted the Galaxy S6 was overall a poor marketing direction by Samsung, and the approximately half the initial forecast sales plus the chorus of complaints from loyal Samsung fans proved that I was right. I am sure Samsung will correct this mistake in the Galaxy S8 like they corrected all the mistakes, (minus the removable battery which for most is becoming a non issue) of the S6.

Fortunately for Samsung, there is a plethora of awesome upgrades which I believe will mostly make up for the bad hard drive decisions. And I believe that the S7 will sell well past the 35 million of the S6, which as I say, is exactly half the initial forecast when it was released.

SZQnl

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site

I agree as well. I was planning to get the S7 and use the Dual-SIM functionality so using SD Card will not be possible.

I guess the internal flash storage is a different tech to SD Cards but surely 32GB->64GB doesn't add too much to the price? I think Samsung are trying to simplify their lineup to maximise efficiency and profits.

But it's great that the likes of Xiaomi exist and offer phones upto 128GB without too much of a price hike. Hopefully Samsung will make the 64GB version more widely available soon. It's still early days!

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

I guess the internal flash storage is a different tech to SD Cards but surely 32GB->64GB doesn't add too much to the price? I think Samsung are trying to simplify their lineup to maximise efficiency and profits.

That does sound correct. And it makes perfect sense. But instead of 32/64 (with the majority offering being 32) it should have been 64/128. For goodness sakes, they are at the moment giving away VR's. Don't tell me that a 128GB hard drive is more expensive to manufacture than a VR headset.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I have a 32gb 2014 Moto X and that doesn't have expandable storage. I've been doing fine with it for 1.5 years.

I think this is going to depend largely on the user. Apps (especially games) keep getting bigger and bigger, with many complex games taking up 1 GB or more of internal storage. So if you're a heavy gamer, more internal storage is preferable. There are also plenty of people who like keeping as much of their music locally stored, or perhaps some videos or movies--that can take up a big chunk as well.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

No no! What's truly embarrassing is a flagship phone NOT being offered in WHITE (in the USA). Now that's a travesty! I'm holding out hope that Verizon might, just maybe, offer a white S7 soon. A girl can hope, right? :) Heck, I have 32GB on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 tablet that I've had for over 2 years. Still have plenty of free space. (For me) a 32GB phone is more than enough especially with the SD card.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

The SD card implementation is probably not identical to the S5. Some of the issues might not be present.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

No no! What's truly embarrassing is a flagship phone NOT being offered in WHITE (in the USA). Now that's a travesty! I'm holding out hope that Verizon might, just maybe, offer a white S7 soon. A girl can hope, right? :)

Why not pink with glitter?:)

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

Apps cannot "be easily stored" on SD, as you say. You have a phone without an SD and I have the Galaxy S5 which I can store apps on it. It is hardly "easy". As I said, not all apps can be moved to SD, not all the data is transferred to SD and some of it remains on hard drive, many apps lose some functionality on SD and there is the constant pain of having to move apps over and over again back to SD every time it updates on Google Play. All this is so unnecessary when Android Marshmallow has the option of adoptable storage, which has the benefits of encryption, which you don't get when you move items to SD.

The whole thing is a really stupid decision by Samsung. Apple will breathe a small sigh of relief with this gaff. I was correct a year ago when I predicted the Galaxy S6 was overall a poor marketing direction by Samsung, and the approximately half the initial forecast sales plus the chorus of complaints from loyal Samsung fans proved that I was right. I am sure Samsung will correct this mistake in the Galaxy S8 like they corrected all the mistakes, (minus the removable battery which for most is becoming a non issue) of the S6.

Fortunately for Samsung, there is a plethora of awesome upgrades which I believe will mostly make up for the bad hard drive decisions. And I believe that the S7 will sell well past the 35 million of the S6, which as I say, is exactly half the initial forecast when it was released.

I never said apps. I said that you have the SD card for photos, videos, and music, while the 32gb phone storage is for apps.

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

No no! What's truly embarrassing is a flagship phone NOT being offered in WHITE (in the USA). Now that's a travesty! I'm holding out hope that Verizon might, just maybe, offer a white S7 soon. A girl can hope, right? :) Heck, I have 32GB on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 tablet that I've had for over 2 years. Still have plenty of free space. (For me) a 32GB phone is more than enough especially with the SD card.

That's "embarrassing"?

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Personally 32GB is plenty. I won't even use a microSD card, I backup my photos in the cloud anyways.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site

I'm pretty sure tmobile is offering a white S7. The only color theybtold us was unavailable was the silver which seems to be exclusive to Europe (or the test of the world)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I'm pretty sure tmobile is offering a white S7. The only color theybtold us was unavailable was the silver which seems to be exclusive to Europe (or the test of the world)

T-Mobile US has black, silver, and gold.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site

I think in time Samsung will either bump up to 64GB standard storage or give more space as options.
Hopefully they will listen to the complaints from this year. You reading this thread Samsung? :)

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

That what all the Notes has always been. Bigger version of the s series with more ram and bigger battery, with a spen.

SR45

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site

I was so disappointed in Samsung in being so stupid in putting a 32 GB storage, and just an SD slot, better camera, water resistance, one heck of a display, beautiful curved screen to feel better in hands, larger battery, and the 5.5 screen that doesn't seem too large, that I went out and Pre-Ordered one and sold my iPhone 6S Plus.

Nice going Samsung. Next version should up the memory a bit

Joe J1

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

32gb is the new 16gb. It was for better profits and so they can have 64gb standard on the new S8

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm