Screen Burn-in an Issue?

TJGEsq

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I pre-ordered the S7, and it will be my first phone with an AMOLED screen. However, I'm a little concerned about burn-in after playing with a few Samsung phones at Best Buy the other day. The display units all had burn-in (except for the new S7s).

My primary concern is that I often take long road trips and have either Google Maps or Car Dashdroid on my screen for 4-5 hours at a time. Is burn-in a realistic concern? Those Best Buy display units are likely on for 12+ hours a day, 7 days a week, so they aren't good examples of ordinary use. But how long is too long to have the screen on? I'm wondering if I would be better off sticking with LCD given how I use my phones.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Burn in is still a potential issue with static images on AMOLED screens. The location of Always On is supposed to change in order to avoid burn in.

stevenkisor1

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the input. Sounds like I probably won't have an issue.

Well, not so fast...

I use Waze extensively, ever day, total time of approx 5 hours/day.

I first started using it on my Motorola Droid Max (with Amoled screen). I noticed screen burn in (especially Waze's little white icons) in the first several months. I went back to Verizon , and they actually replaced the phone. I was more careful with the brightness on the second Maxx, but still after about a year, the Waze icons were burned into the screen somewhat.

My next phone was a Samsung Galaxy Note II, also on Verizon. I was extremely careful, to keep the screen brightness at a minimum, or on automatic. After 2 years, I noticed again, the little white Waze icons slightly burned into screen.

My current (and about to be replaced) LG G4 has an LCD panel vs Amoled. After 8 months, there isno screen burn-in, because its LCD.

My S7 is to be shipped Friday (or hopefully before) and I do NOT plan to install Waze, because of the screen burn-in issue.

BTW, I have contacted Waze developers several times, to see if they could wither darken or turn off those icons. Never a reply.

So, I would suggest to be careful of your screen's brightness while using any app that has a static (or non moving icon or symbol) in the same place all the time. Just my 2 cents ..

Posted via the Android Central App

dingyibvs

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Don't bother contacting app makers, all they care about is reviews, give them a 1-star review on Play store and you're much more likely to get a response.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Never heard of any real customer with burn-in issues!

Person I worked with had an issue with it on her Galaxy Rugby Pro. Though that was because she had the brightness maxed out and the screen timeout setting was set to 10 minutes and always had her text messaging on the screen. She upgraded to the S6 Active, and have gotten her to not do that anymore and her Active is just fine.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I pre-ordered the S7, and it will be my first phone with an AMOLED screen. However, I'm a little concerned about burn-in after playing with a few Samsung phones at Best Buy the other day. The display units all had burn-in (except for the new S7s).

My primary concern is that I often take long road trips and have either Google Maps or Car Dashdroid on my screen for 4-5 hours at a time. Is burn-in a realistic concern? Those Best Buy display units are likely on for 12+ hours a day, 7 days a week, so they aren't good examples of ordinary use. But how long is too long to have the screen on? I'm wondering if I would be better off sticking with LCD given how I use my phones.

The phones in store are usually max brightness and on 24/7 due to the demo software and being plugged into a power source/alarm system. I've worked in a Verizon store nearly 4 years and rarely see a customer device with burn in, our demos develop it in a matter of months.

Posted via the Android Central App

mesocyclone30

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I think i just got some bad screen burn in today. was out train watching and had the phone on the drone controller on the almost whole time so the phone and controller would be ready for the drone to launch in time for the next train to shoot video of. didn't realize it was on so long as time flew by fast and all. i just used a screen tester for a white screen and it looks bad. just hazy marks. now what should i do? is this covered by warranty? I cleaned the screen of course to make sure.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I dunno, I used my Note 2 extensively for nearly 3 years, using it to navigate, and I did an 8hr road trip with my S7Edge with Waze on, and both times came out ok.

mesocyclone30

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I think i just got some bad screen burn in today. was out train watching and had the phone on the drone controller on the almost whole time so the phone and controller would be ready for the drone to launch in time for the next train to shoot video of. didn't realize it was on so long as time flew by fast and all. i just used a screen tester for a white screen and it looks bad. just hazy marks. now what should i do? is this covered by warranty? I cleaned the screen of course to make sure.
Update i partially removed my screen protector and voila it's the protector!!! what a piece of ****e. it's the IQ Shield clear Protection for your device. the wet kind. any ideas of a better one that's matte finish and case friendly that covers the edges decent?

VioletEve

Apr 7, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I have had my phone (Samsung S7) for less than a year. I play Ingress on it a lot at high brightness and I noticed last night that the scanner image of the game is burned into my phone. Sigh.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12