Samsung Link AND Kies do NOT work with S7

ovin08

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
I have had my phone since 2/29 and I cannot figure out how to get Samsung Link working like I did with my old S4.
It used to be a snap to get files from my PC to my phone with Link.
My troubles started when I tried searching for the Link app on the play store but couldn't find it. So I had to find the app on the PC and then email myself a link directly to the play store. I'm glad samsung has made it easy for us to find the stupid app.
Once I install it and start the app up it throws a crash error immediately but doesn't close. So I'm hopeful that I could still use it a bit. wrong.
I get the crash error all throughout the app. Even when I shut it down. Funny side note: I get a crash error after I force close the Link app and I'm just chillin on my home screen and I open the Link app in my PC browser and try to access my S7.

In the app itself I can see my PC and my S4 as registered devices but it won't let me select or access them.
And in the PC browser Link manager page I can see my S7 as a registered device but it won't let me access it.

So does anyone have experience with Samsung Link and their S7 so far?

Also, plugging the S7 into my pc and opening up Kies gives me an error saying I'm not the device owner and I need to log into the device as the owner to access kies. I'm pretty sure the last time I checked no one owned this phone other than me.

Before anyone asks I have updated Samsung Link and Kies on my PC to the latest versions as of 3/6/2016.

I've also been submitting questions directly to the samsung support and I recently submitted another question with multiple screenshots of the issue.
I've attached a few screenshots of the errors and what it looks like for me trying to access my comp.
Comp is Brannan-I7, S7 is MrWaffles, S4 is Applesauce

But at first glance it seems that there are more than one Samsung branded apps that aren't even compatible with their flagship phone. Very disappointing.

Attachments

• 20160306_182619.jpg
    20160306_182619.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_20160304-153146.jpg
    Screenshot_20160304-153146.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_20160304-153423.jpg
    Screenshot_20160304-153423.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 80
  • SLDesk1.PNG
    SLDesk1.PNG
    4.3 KB · Views: 210
  • SLDesk2.PNG
    SLDesk2.PNG
    4.9 KB · Views: 219
  • Kies1.PNG
    Kies1.PNG
    61.6 KB · Views: 98

ovin08

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Not sure what you mean.
1) You don't use smart switch to pull files from your PC.
2) Smart switch isn't on the Play store for the S7. It's built in now.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I think samsung is moving on from kies. I haven't used it in a long time. Do you have the latest version of kies?

Justan Baca

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Not sure about Samsung Link since I never used it, but Kies doesn't work with any new Samsung phones. They switched to Smart Switch for that. also Side Sync is what I use to transfer files, so I'm sure Side Sync has replaced Link.

ovin08

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Hmmm... just tried out SideSync and it seems pretty nice to be able to control my phone from my PC but i'm not sure if i would ever use that again.
But it doesn't replace Link. Link lets you have file browser access to all files on your PC and pull files without needing to be on the same network. So if i wanted a some MP3's and I'm away from home i could just pull them off of Link.

And to 20blks: I mentioned I updated to the latest Kies and Link earlier today(3/6/2016)

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I was told by Samsung using their 'Chat Now' feature that Kies does not support anything higher than OS version 5. And that SmartSwitch is the way to go. They instructed me to back up the old phone to my PC, and then restore from the PC to the S7. This required me to download the SmartSwitch app to the old phone and the SmartSwitch program to the PC. I don't have the S7 yet so I can't say how smoothly things will or won't work. I'd love to hear how it's gone for others who have used SmartSwitch in this way.

Arcticwolf1

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I have had my phone since 2/29 and I cannot figure out how to get Samsung Link working like I did with my old S4.
It used to be a snap to get files from my PC to my phone with Link.
My troubles started when I tried searching for the Link app on the play store but couldn't find it. So I had to find the app on the PC and then email myself a link directly to the play store. I'm glad samsung has made it easy for us to find the stupid app.
Once I install it and start the app up it throws a crash error immediately but doesn't close. So I'm hopeful that I could still use it a bit. wrong.
I get the crash error all throughout the app. Even when I shut it down. Funny side note: I get a crash error after I force close the Link app and I'm just chillin on my home screen and I open the Link app in my PC browser and try to access my S7.

In the app itself I can see my PC and my S4 as registered devices but it won't let me select or access them.
And in the PC browser Link manager page I can see my S7 as a registered device but it won't let me access it.

So does anyone have experience with Samsung Link and their S7 so far?

Also, plugging the S7 into my pc and opening up Kies gives me an error saying I'm not the device owner and I need to log into the device as the owner to access kies. I'm pretty sure the last time I checked no one owned this phone other than me.

Before anyone asks I have updated Samsung Link and Kies on my PC to the latest versions as of 3/6/2016.

I've also been submitting questions directly to the samsung support and I recently submitted another question with multiple screenshots of the issue.
I've attached a few screenshots of the errors and what it looks like for me trying to access my comp.
Comp is Brannan-I7, S7 is MrWaffles, S4 is Applesauce

But at first glance it seems that there are more than one Samsung branded apps that aren't even compatible with their flagship phone. Very disappointing.

If you couldn't find the app in the play store, it means your device isn't supported..that's why you're getting all those errors. Best you use something else like side synch or smart switch.

Also, kies was outdated when I got my GS3 4 years ago. Didn't know anyone could still use it....

ovin08

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure if anyone understands but I'm not trying to back my phone up. Link can be used outside of your network to transfer files from your home pc to your phone. Neither smart switch nor side sync do this

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if anyone understands but I'm not trying to back my phone up. Link can be used outside of your network to transfer files from your home pc to your phone. Neither smart switch nor side sync do this
Samsung isn't supporting Link anymore as far as I know. You may have to find an alternative app. There's a few out there, but none that I'm thrilled with.

Tonyl01

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
A Galaxy S7/Edge compatible version of Samsung Link is under development by Samsung and should be available soon in Galaxy Apps.

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

The Samsung Link developers replied to us. They are preparing an update in the Galaxy Apps store which will make the Samsung Link app available for download. Please wait for the update. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you!

If you encounter any other unexpected situation or have more questions regarding our services, please do not hesitate to contact us and our support team will assist you with all the necessary information.

Also, if you visit the Content & Services customer support website, http://help.content.samsung.com, you will be able to find all Samsung Content and Services we are supporting in your country.

Thank you for using our services. Your satisfaction is very important to us.

Kind regards
Customer Service Center

Please visit our website : https://help.content.samsung.com"

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have used KIES on this phone. It works just fine.

Also, you don't need any special program for file transfer if you have Developer Options enabled. If you do that then you just go to Dev Ops and change USB Configuration from Charging to MTP when plugged into (in my case) Windows PC via USB.

To turn on Dev Ops you have to go to about phone and hit something until it turns on Dev Ops. You'll need to search on what to hit. I forget.

Not sure about Samsung Link since I never used it, but Kies doesn't work with any new Samsung phones. They switched to Smart Switch for that. also Side Sync is what I use to transfer files, so I'm sure Side Sync has replaced Link.

ovin08

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Tonyl!!!
I figured it would be something like this since Link replaced AllShare and was kind of a major thing for them for a while and I didn't think they would just drop it completely.

hdhuntr, Samsung link allows you to wirelessly transfer files in AND outside your home network. That's what I'm looking for. I already have developer options enabled and I can transfer the files from my comp with a cable but that's not what I want. Plus Link has the ability to back up your pictures as you take them to your PC for free which is a nice feature.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I missed the wireless bit. Sry...

Thanks Tonyl!!!
I figured it would be something like this since Link replaced AllShare and was kind of a major thing for them for a while and I didn't think they would just drop it completely.

hdhuntr, Samsung link allows you to wirelessly transfer files in AND outside your home network. That's what I'm looking for. I already have developer options enabled and I can transfer the files from my comp with a cable but that's not what I want. Plus Link has the ability to back up your pictures as you take them to your PC for free which is a nice feature.

Tonyl01

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
An alternative to Samsung Link for Galaxy S7/Edge for streaming media files ie photos, videos and music is Plex for Android. Unlike Samsung Link, Plex is unable to access and download non-media files. Also Plex is only able to stream media from the PC on which the Plex Media Server software have been installed on. There is also a once off cost of USD $4.99 to have full access to Plex. An optional subscription service is also available for additional features. Their website is www.plex.tv.

This is good alternative for media streaming until the Galaxy S7/Edge compatible Samsung Link becomes available in Galaxy Apps.

Anysia

May 1, 2014
Visit site
The only problem I have with SmartSwitch is that it doesn't restore Apps from previous KIES back ups. There are a few I didn't want updated versions. The USB cable from old phone to new phone works, but it's an all or next to nothing. What's the point of having back up software that doesn't make a full back up of everything?

Hina Ghori

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
My Galaxy s6, my two Samsung smart TV's and my PC was connected using Link. I was able to pull files from my PC and open them on my TV. With Galaxy s7, Link is not working just the way you described it. I am not sure what app I can use to connect all these devices on my LAN :((( Another disappointment is no RF blaster. I can't use Peel as my universal remote.

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Someone please tell me I'm not going crazy, when I first set my phone up and was transferring some files via USB I got a pop up saying why not do it wirelessly and giving instructions to do it Via a web browser, what with just wanting to play with my new toy I didn't take much notice, Now I cant find this again.