The S7 was delivered yesterday and it's now got a full charge. I'm going to use Smart Switch to move from my S5.

Before I get started, should I first activate the S7 and THEN do the Smart Switch transfer?

Also, since I'll be using a new SD card in the S7, how do I handle the old card from the S5? Should the old card be inserted into the S7 before doing the whole Smart Switch transfer, etc.?

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-09-2016 07:48 AM
    Usually you get instructions from your carrier on how to activate with or without your old sim card.....
    03-09-2016 07:53 AM
    Usually you get instructions from your carrier on how to activate with or without your old sim card.....
    I'm asking about the SD card, though...
    03-09-2016 08:12 AM
    I don't believe any of the simple data transfer options work with the SD cards, but I could be wrong. Is the new card a higher capacity? If not, why bother with it? If it's higher you may need a card reader and a computer.

03-09-2016 08:29 AM
    I don't believe any of the simple data transfer options work with the SD cards, but I could be wrong. Is the new card a higher capacity? If not, why bother with it? If it's higher you may need a card reader and a computer.
    I have read that, when doing the Smart Switch transfer, you shouldn't include the contents of the old SD card as it will be installed to the new phone's internal memory (not to the new phone's SD card if installed).

I got a new card because it is faster and has a higher capacity. I'm just not clear on the proper way to get the apps and data that's stored on the old card operational on the new phone, and then ultimately moved to the new SD card.
    Carlo Villa likes this.
    03-09-2016 09:12 AM
    OK, trying the transfer this afternoon, and it has been hanging at 99% for about 50 minutes now. The setup is by cable - S5 > S7. Rats! Doesn't give me confidence in the process...
    03-09-2016 06:47 PM
    OK, trying the transfer this afternoon, and it has been hanging at 99% for about 50 minutes now. The setup is by cable - S5 > S7. Rats! Doesn't give me confidence in the process...
    Where did you get this new SD? Just asking because that behavior seems too similar to when using a cheap knockoff SD card, it will copy something until it reaches the real SD card capacity and will hang there. Talking by experience here.
    03-09-2016 07:14 PM
    Where did you get this new SD? Just asking because that behavior seems too similar to when using a cheap knockoff SD card, it will copy something until it reaches the real SD card capacity and will hang there. Talking by experience here.
    I didn't have the new SD card in the phone yet.

I finally just disconnected the cord, re-started each phone, and re-connected the cord. It worked. I have not yet checked to see what apps/data made it to the new S7, but once I'm sure all the apps from the S5 are installed on the S7, I'll then try using the old SD card (from the S5) in the S7 to be sure all the apps and data on the card sync up OK with the phone apps. If that works, I think I'll try doing a simple copy / paste with the old / new SD cards.
    03-09-2016 09:28 PM
    I haven't done smart switch yet (still waiting for my phone)
    I also have an S5 and today I plugged it in to my PC and made a copy of the SD card in it onto my desktop.
    I then umounted the card in the S5, took it out and put my new higher capacity card in, then plugged it back into my PC and copied the folder from my desktop to the new card.
    I'll then complete smart switch without the SD cards in and insert the new one into my new phone upon completion.
    03-09-2016 10:24 PM
    If the fresh micro SD didnt come with one id try to find a micro sd to sd adapter, if your pc/laptop has an sd slot. I got my GS7 today. First activated it, did the cable transfer from my S5 and then swapped my 16gb micro sd ive had since the OG Droid X. I will eventually get a larger one and swap everything over with the adapter in windows and install the larger card in the phone. Your way of backing up the card to pc via usb is also applicable.
    03-09-2016 10:32 PM