Galaxy S7 Issues With WiFi when Bluetooth is on

mattb16teg

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Greetings all!

I just activated my S7 yesterday and already came across an issue. It seems to be WiFi slows to a crawl or becomes unresponsive when BlueTooth is turned on. I've tested this on 2 networks thus far and turning Bluetooth off always does the trick.

Currently chatting with Samsung as a first line of support.

Maybe a defective device?

***********EDIT*********** POSSIBLE FIX*****************

Many of us have fixed the issue by installing 3rd party apps that have Bluetooth permissions. Most of those have been the Dunkin Donuts app.

Last edited:

mattb16teg

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
So I am waiting for the phone to backup and then will do a system restore and go from there. Yay, spend all day setting up a new phone to just reset it and do it again. Hopefully the new Smart Switch program works well.

mattb16teg

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't even call it a slow down, basically nothing. But I factory reset it and it looks to be ok, trying to restore my crap on it now. Maybe it is a setting that is coming over and causing an issue.

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Try turning off smart network switch In wifi settings.

Check for firmware upgrade for your wifi router.

Posted via the Android Central App

snikt228

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue not only on my new S7 Edge, but also on my wife's Note 5.

The Note 5 was upgraded to Marshmallow and is having the same issue as my new S7 Edge. Wi-fi works fine with Bluetooth is off, but once you turn Bluetooth on it's completely unresponsive, almost like a 2400 baud connection or something.

Can take 2-5 minutes to load a web page.

Turn Bluetooth off and it takes off and is back to normal speed.

Tried wiping cache partition and resetting network settings. Two totally different phones, has to be some 6.0.1 issue?

mattb16teg

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Try turning off smart network switch In wifi settings.

Check for firmware upgrade for your wifi router.

This was never on from the Default settings on my device.

While I agree that's always a good idea, in this case probably not as it occurs on every wireless network I have been on(Personal or Corporate).

mattb16teg

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue not only on my new S7 Edge, but also on my wife's Note 5.

The Note 5 was upgraded to Marshmallow and is having the same issue as my new S7 Edge. Wi-fi works fine with Bluetooth is off, but once you turn Bluetooth on it's completely unresponsive, almost like a 2400 baud connection or something.

Tried wiping cache partition and resetting network settings. Two totally different phones, has to be some 6.0.1 issue?

Interesting. So, I have gotten a little more into the issue, for me, it seems to be when Bluetooth is NOT paired to anything. So if I have bluetooth paired to my JamBox, WiFi works fine and I am able to stream Pandora to said Jambox perfectly. If Bluetooth is NOT paired to a device that is when the issue occurs.
I have to call a higher tier Samsung HD today.

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
old s5 did the same, if i used my 5g band on my router there was no issue.
super easy to test with speed test. sprint s7 seems not to have this issue when testing last night.

primal5

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Same issue here glad to see its not just me. I'm trying the bluetooth off solution now as I've tried the rest to see if this is a long term "fix" .

mattb16teg

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
old s5 did the same, if i used my 5g band on my router there was no issue.
super easy to test with speed test. sprint s7 seems not to have this issue when testing last night.

I'm not even going to bother with changing bands, channels, etc, on my home router as this happens anywhere, so let's say at work, I can't do anything to the wireless router so they need to figure out the root issue for this problem.

Same issue here glad to see its not just me. I'm trying the bluetooth off solution now as I've tried the rest to see if this is a long term "fix" .

Glad to see others are having this issue as well. I just have been turning Bluetooth on in my car or at the gym(to use my headphones) but hopefully the patch this issue soon.

Calling Samsung now, will report back.

mattb16teg

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Alright, so Samsung referred me to Verizon. I will try to stop by a store or I believe there is one of those Samsung kiosks at my local Best Buy. Keep you posted.

GBP87

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I had this very same issue with my Note 5 when I upgraded to Marshmallow on Verizon. I did some research.

First, Bluetooth uses the 2.4 ghz band to communicate. As you know, WiFi also operates on that band. Hence, if I had the Bluetooth toggle on my phone active (not even connected to another device) , the WiFi network would not work. Switching to my 5 ghz WiFi network, it worked just fine. Before I factory reset my phone, I tried resetting the modem, cable box, etc. to no avail.

I factory reset my Note 5 and ever since then, no issues. Also, no issues on my S7 (which I received yesterday) with the 2.4 ghz network.

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
i used link2 Panasonic cordless phones, so i had to keep Bluetooth on at the house.
never did find a fix

never tried the factory reset

Entcee

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I have this exact problem on a Verizon S7 (not edge). I was close to giving the phone back until I found this thread. Turned BT off, and wifi now works! I use BT quite a bit so I will be toggling BT button... a lot! Hopefully there will be an update to fix this soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12