Low-light camera samples & comparison

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi all, I'm loving the camera on my shiny new Galaxy S7. I've gone out after work and taken lots of photos to directly compare to the phone it's replacing, the Sony Xperia Z5 Compact as well as my work phone, the Galaxy S6 edge.

Here are the full resolution samples (completely unedited raw .jpg output, no enhancements added via editing software) via OneDrive: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9D224292E8241A33!23829&authkey=!AKUntqxGtEqmuzc&ithint=folder,

They are best viewed on a desktop/laptop/tablet to truly see how dramatic of an improvement the S7 camera is, though the differences can still be easily seen on a phone display.

In summary, the Z5 Compact tends to produce more accurate colours in decent lighting vs the Samsung phones but as the light diminishes it really starts to struggle to capture detail and maintain sharpness. The S7 is a noticeable step up over the S6 edge, which is in turn a noticeable step up over the Z5C in most cases. Both the S7 and Z5C have wide-angle optics, notably more so than the S6e. In fact, people worrying about the move to a 4:3 aspect ratio sensor vs the 16:9 one in the S6e needn't, as the S7 is able to capture more of the scene anyway thanks to the wide-angle optics.

Have a look for yourself and I'll upload some of the best examples directly to this post soon. Enjoy! :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I also see the improvement coming from a Note 5. Autofocus is just ridiculously fast even in low light. It's scary. Only thing I regret is the format. I'd wish the full sensor would be widescreen so that video could use the whole image in FullHD VS a cropped version that just doesn't capture the whole thing. But still very impressive images overall. SloMo video still stinks though. :(

txsizzler

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
My only concern with the lower lighting pics from the S7, are the yellowing that is present. Pretty much every review site I have seen that shows the low light capabilities of the phone, show yellowing, and at times its pretty bad. Review sites have also noted this, including CNET. Not sure if I will want to upgrade from the G4 just yet.

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
You could always switch to pro mode and set a custom indoor white balance. It's more work but doable until they hopefully release a software fix for auto WB.

Posted via the Android Central App

death_eater

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Well there are some shots that the S6 is better than S7 but both are way better than the Z5c. I was torn between S7 and Note 5 (with same camera as the S6) but when S7 was suddenly bundled by a 128GB card, there was no time to think but click the order button. I came from a Note 3 so everything is an upgrade for me so can't compare to the last flagships of Samsung.