Galaxy S7 keeps disconnecting from Wifi

tycobb280

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I got my S7 a couple days ago. Set up and transfer of all my data went smooth with no issues. The only problem I am having is it keeps disconnecting a reconnecting to my wifi. It is constant connected disconnected connected disconnected. It's never connected long enough for me to get anything done. I have read about this issue, and fixes for previous galaxy generations, like turning off wifi power save mode. I have tried different settings, and and even tried the push button WPS connection or whatever it is with my wireless router. please help

BillArf

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Before you blame the S7, I would try the S7 with other WiFi access points. The issue may very well be with your WiFi access point (your wireless router) and not with the S7. Very often people making complaints such as yours, with their devices disconnecting, etc. are running very old, very iffy WiFi access points. Of course, there is also a chance that something in your environment is interfering (stepping on) with your WiFi and thus the intermittent disconnects. Again, do troubleshoot.... go to a different location, access a different WiFi access point and ascertain if it really is your S7.

AndroidDale

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge,Gold
Router: ASUS Wireless Router RT-N66U

My connection also repeatedly drops. I've messed with it a little. It's only when connected to the 5 ghz. It doesn't do it on the 2.4. I have 3 other android devices that connect just fine. I'm convinced it's the phone. There was a similar problem in many of the S5's.

sryan2k1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing the same issues on a new Verizon S7.

I'm a sysadmin so my home network isn't what most people have. The router is a UBNT EdgeRouter, and wireless is via an AeroHive AP230 (.11ac)

The issue isn't the infrastructure. Hopefully a update comes soon to fix it.

sfont84

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Same problem here. S7 on ATT with Linksys E4200 router. My old S4 and a Galaxy Tab S 10.5 are able to hold onto the 5GHz band with no issue. My S7 seems to lose it during standby (smart network switch is off and is set to keep wi-fi on during sleep). It will even drop connection sitting next to router. When I wake the phone, the 5GHz is not connected, but shows up in the available network list but with an error "Internet not available". I am able to select the 5GHz network manually and connect with no problems or password required. It will then hold the connection for the several minutes I am using the phone.

Samsung tech support had me to full factory reset. I then set the device up as new and only attempted to log onto the network. Same problem.
ATT escalated problem up to their engineering level.

tjonesjr

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem. I believe this is a Bluetooth Problem. By default BT Scanning is enabled to improve location. Disabled it. This resolved the wifi disconnects for me.

Settings > Location > Improve Accuracy > Bluetooth Scanning : Turn it off

mlmcgahee

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I got my S7 a couple days ago. Set up and transfer of all my data went smooth with no issues. The only problem I am having is it keeps disconnecting a reconnecting to my wifi. It is constant connected disconnected connected disconnected. It's never connected long enough for me to get anything done. I have read about this issue, and fixes for previous galaxy generations, like turning off wifi power save mode. I have tried different settings, and and even tried the push button WPS connection or whatever it is with my wireless router. please help

Go to WiFi settings, click more in the upper right and chose advanced. Try turning off "smart network switch". It seems to be on by default. This may resolve your issue.

dawaster

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
I change my setting from lte/3g/2g to 3g/2g and it seems to have sorted out the problem. It used to disconnect from wifi and stay on 4G but now it stays on wifi

sryan2k1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
At least on my Verizon unit I have wifi and bluetooth scanning off, and smart switch disabled. Still seeing the same issue. I disabled IPv6 (on the network side) for fun and that didn't help.

Also at least on the VZW ROM Smart switch isn't enabled by default.

vikingfuneral

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
I also have the RT-N66U. The latest router firmware might have wifi issues. I'm planning to try rolling back the firmware. I don't just have issues with my s7, but also a Sony TV.

Craig Stevens

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
This is definitely an S7 wifi problem! I have reset routers, wiped the cache of the S7, turned off blue-tooth, gone to recovery mode, even reset the software to factory version. It works fine for a little while, then the next thing you know, the play store doesn't work, Pandora doesn't work, etc. over wifi. Some apps work on wifi, but any app that takes streams of data, quit working on wifi. I can turn off wifi and go to 4GLte data and everything works fine. Then I turn wifi back on and everything stops. Each reset buys some time but nothing works more than a day or two at best. I'm ready to return the phone. My S5 never had these problems and works fine today. In fact, no phone I have ever had had these kind of wifi problems.

HNLE

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
This could be related to why listening to steaming music apps such as Soundcloud and Spotify, it keeps on pausing and stopping

Rlin5741

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
In general, I have had wifi issues on a fair number of devices when I purchased as an "early adopter" - i.e. shortly after release. The latest example is iPad Air 2, which wouldn't work with my fairly new Linksys 802.11n router. It would take a couple weeks or months before the manufacturers fixed the issues with a patch.

From these experiences, I would say the following things have generally helped:
  • Set DIFFERENT SSIDs for 2.4 and 5GHz bands. I have found that most devices and routers do a terrible job dynamically switching between the networks if each as the same SSID - I think the chipset recognizes the SSID and constantly jumps from one band to the other depending on which had the strongest signal.
  • Disable the bluetooth and wifi SCANNING feature (not bluetooth itself as one of the prior posters cited). This setting is found in "locations" and allows your phone to scan for recognized wifi and bluetooth networks even when wifi or bluetooth is turned off to pinpoint its location. Given that bluetooth only has about a 50 ft range, its puzzling why the bluetooth scanning is even an option
  • Set the channel width in the router to 20 MHz or 40MHz. Some products can't recognize the 80MHz channel widths (my old S5 couldn't recognize my travel router if I had it set to 80MHz. Note that this may slow down your connection.
  • Disable Smart Network Switch (in Wifi Advanced settings) or other similar setting that dynamically switches between Wifi and mobile data depending on network access
  • Get 802.11ac-capable router. This may be less of an issue now, but for a couple years after the ac standard came out, a lot of ac clients would have issues with legacy non-ac routers. Obviously not ideal.

nightcynerg

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
The wifi on my Galaxy S7 Edge keeps disconnecting. I'm the only one on it and have extremely fast internet. I ran my s5 and s7 at the same time I completed my email, sent and opened facebook on my s5 while my s7 edge just sat there blank. I shut off my s5 and it still sat there doing nothing. it's pretty annoying that a phone that is 2yrs older is faster and better than my new one.:mad:

Ms Mini

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
It's a problem with some Samsung Galaxy S 7 and S7 Edge phones. I have the same problem. My cell carrier is ordering a new phone and sending this one back. My carrier said they've been getting several calls. I've had my phone 3 days.

vikingfuneral

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Update:

The ASUS rt-n66u had a recent firmware issue. I'm using stock asus firmware these days, not dd-wrt. I resolved that and still have (less frequent) issues with wifi and the s7.

I've tweaked some settings and they seem to have helped somewhat. I turned off auto band selection and set channel width to 40MHz on the router.

Posted via the Android Central App

twodaend

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
I have the S7 Edge and the Asus RT-N66U and I too have my wireless drop on the 5GHz channel. I have different SSIDs for the 2GHz (20MHz) and 5GHz (40MHz) channels and I have them both in my phone. Whenever I connect to the 5GHz, everything is fine while using the phone. However, if I put my phone down for a bit and come back to it, I get the WiFi connected noticed and it is now on my 2GHz channel. I have the latest firmware on my Asus with BT location scanning and Smart Network Switch off.

I don't know what I could change in my router as other devices are just fine. to the 5GHz channel and stay connected (iPhone 6 Plus/5S/5, iPad, Laptop, etc.)

sillehrabbitz

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
DX I have a wifi connecting problem at work. It won't automatically connect to the saved network and tries to connect to the other one that doesn't work. Everywhere else it automatically connects to the saved network..except work..I have to manually click on the network for it to work. Q.Q

Froide

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem. I believe this is a Bluetooth Problem. By default BT Scanning is enabled to improve location. Disabled it. This resolved the wifi disconnects for me.

Settings > Location > Improve Accuracy > Bluetooth Scanning : Turn it off

This worked like a charm. Thank you!
(FYI, Smart Switch was aleady off.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18