BillArf

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Wipe the Cache Partition:

Turn off the S7 off
Press and hold “Volume Up”, “Home” and “Power” all at the same time
When the “Samsung” logo appears, release “Power”
At the “Android” logo, release the other two hardware keys as well
Wait for access to the Recovery menu (may take up to 60 seconds)
Once in the Android System Recovery menu, press “Volume down” repeatedly to navigate to and highlight “wipe cache partition”
Press “Power” to confirm
Once the cache partition is wiped, “Reboot system now” will be highlighted
Press “Power” to confirm and reboot your device

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
You forgot to put that there is now a yes or no option in the list.

After you select wipe cache partition there is a yes or no selection to make, and to be honest it doesn't really make sense why it is there lol.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

bsteppuhn

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Why do you wipe the cache? Just curious. I've seen it on threads but never understood why

Posted via the Android Central App

BillArf

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Why do you wipe the cache? Just curious. I've seen it on threads but never understood why

Over time, your apps write to the app cache on your smartphone and eat up /use precious system resources while slowing everything down. Also, also a smartphone issue can often be simply addressed with a cache wipe.

BillArf

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site

After you select wipe cache partition there is a yes or no selection to make, and to be honest it doesn't really make sense why it is there lol.

No, I did not forget. :cool: I did say press power to confirm choice as in confirm, the "yes".

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
No, I did not forget. :cool: I did say press power to confirm choice as in confirm, the "yes".

I see now, as thorough as the procedure tounoutlined was, i i didn't realize the confirm was for the yes no lol

BillArf

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Does this process typically lose any application configuration or just the cached data?

Just cached data. For the record, wiping the cache partition is a positive thing to do. Also, turning the phone off and then back on at least weekly is a positive thing to do. Both of these things only take a few minutes to accomplish.

anticlutch

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Restarting the phone weekly is fine, but there's no real reason to clear out the cache too often. I only typically do it when troubleshooting for wakelocks/quickly draining battery, after a system update (e.g. x.x.1 --> x.x.2), or after an update to the Google app or Google Play Services. You can also achieve a similar result by going to Settings > Storage > Internal Storage and tapping on the 'Cached Data'.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The Y/N makes HUGE sense if it is also on factory data reset choice as well. I FDRed my Note 4 twice while trying to clear the cache. Glad to see this was added.

anticlutch

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
That seems like a much easier way to clear cache. Is it achieving the same thing as the more complicated process?

Frankly, I'm not familiar enough with the inner workings of Android to definitively say one way or another about that. From my own experience however, on some of the phones that I own where the recovery mode is locked out by the carrier, clearing the cache from inside the settings menu seems to achieve the same result as doing it from the recovery mode would on another phone. In other words, if a Play services update or Google app update is causing wakelocks or just generally negatively impacting the battery, clearing cache from the settings menu seems just as effective at fixing it as clearing it from the recovery mode.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Turning the phone completely off than on or just a restart?

Just cached data. For the record, wiping the cache partition is a positive thing to do. Also, turning the phone off and then back on at least weekly is a positive thing to do. Both of these things only take a few minutes to accomplish.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm new to Android and all this stuff sounds like the same kind of old wives tale that isn't substantiated by any official documentation. For example on ios you see users swipe away apps from the multitasking screen and when you ask them why they do it its because "somebody told me it does xyz or whatever". In fact Apple released a doc explaining that this was totally unnecessary. Can somebody here provide a link to something that states that this cache cleaning process is necessary with a supposedly modern OS like Marshmallow? This kind of thing shouldn't be necessary.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm new to Android and all this stuff sounds like the same kind of old wives tale that isn't substantiated by any official documentation. For example on ios you see users swipe away apps from the multitasking screen and when you ask them why they do it its because "somebody told me it does xyz or whatever". In fact Apple released a doc explaining that this was totally unnecessary. Can somebody here provide a link to something that states that this cache cleaning process is necessary with a supposedly modern OS like Marshmallow? This kind of thing shouldn't be necessary.

Interesting post. Sometimes I do stuff because it's recommended without knowing why. Although this step isn't as drastic as a FDR I'm still curious as to what exactly it accomplishes and why. Anybody know the facts behind this action?

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This won't be scientific because I am not a SW engineer but the idea generally I believe is that the cached data isn't the latest data because it is cached. So when you have an updated app it might handle old cached data in a different way than it would handle the new updated data from the server. That new server data has been optimized or updated to work properly with the updated app. Theoretically it should not be necessary but practically it is or there would not be a method to do it.

Believe what you will , do what you will...Bottom line is it can't hurt and I know it has helped me in the past.

Interesting post. Sometimes I do stuff because it's recommended without knowing why. Although this step isn't as drastic as a FDR I'm still curious as to what exactly it accomplishes and why. Anybody know the facts behind this action?

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
So what's the difference between going into recovery and going into Settings>Storage>internal storage. This is a lot simpler

Posted via the Android Central App running on my Galaxy S7

Attachments

• 29870.jpg
    29870.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 166