Got S7 Edge & Changes I Hate

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
I am really happy with my new purchase even though i wish it had a 6 inch screen. I came from a Note 4 which i loved. Anyways, certain things i noticed really upset me.

First, it didn't come with a default music, video player, and voice recorder app. I was beyond LIVID. I never use the Samsung store and so glad i went in to browse because i was able to download Samsung's proprietary apps for my music, videos, and voice recording. People who aren't tech savvy won't do this and will assume Samsung tricked consumers and hate the device because they cannot locate the icons when browsing through their apps. Certain consumers will take it at face value that it is either there or it isn't.

Second, you cannot block people anymore. I have one contact who is evil as HELL and the "AUTO REJECT LIST" option is not available in the contacts app anymore. Yes, i know i can remove this person, but i get a certain pleasure knowing i can block instead.

Third, there is no option anymore to change the text message style bubbles. All previous versions had this and now it is not there anymore. One could previously change to different colors and bubble sizes. Very frustrating.

Forth, LIVE WALLPAPERS are gone. I like having different wallpaper options. Ughhh!!!

Fifth, the panels/home screens now have no transition options. There use to be an option where one can pick "3D ROTATION" or "CARD STACK". Also, the home panels now cannot keep going when you swipe to the left. If you have 5 home panels, you can only scroll 5 times and it stops. The same with the app panel page. If you have 3 panels full of apps, it'll only let you scroll 3 times. I like having the option that after scrolling to the end it goes to the 1st page. Instead i need to scroll all the way backwards in order to get to the beginning.

Sixth, flashlight widget is gone. Why? I have no idea.

Seven, the "HIDE APP" feature is gone. I came from a Note 4 and it offered "HIDE APP". That is such a great feature. Sometimes people have nosey friends who wanna browse and riffle through your gallery to see if you have naughty photos and HIDE APP was great to hide the gallery icon so nosey friends can't intrude and now its gone. Why? I have no idea.

I know my review sounds negative, but i do like my device. I just find it odd when they remove features that people love and are functional features. On the plus side, it does seem like it isn't cluttered with bloatware and the battery size has increased. I guess you win some and then lose some. One can never have it all.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Why not post in the Samsung owners forum here? You might get some constructive feedback from people with the same issues.

Kristysangels

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Also check out Go SMS Pro from the Google play store. You can make all sorts of cool wallpapers, lock screens, text messaging screens where you can change the bubbles, and just tons of fun stuff

Posted via the Android Central App

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: Got S7 Edge & Changes I Hate

I am really happy with my new purchase even though i wish it had a 6 inch screen. I came from a Note 4 which i loved. Anyways, certain things i noticed really upset me.

First, it didn't come with a default music, video player, and voice recorder app. I was beyond LIVID. I never use the Samsung store and so glad i went in to browse because i was able to download Samsung's proprietary apps for my music, videos, and voice recording. People who aren't tech savvy won't do this and will assume Samsung tricked consumers and hate the device because they cannot locate the icons when browsing through their apps. Certain consumers will take it at face value that it is either there or it isn't.

Second, you cannot block people anymore. I have one contact who is evil as HELL and the "AUTO REJECT LIST" option is not available in the contacts app anymore. Yes, i know i can remove this person, but i get a certain pleasure knowing i can block instead.

Third, there is no option anymore to change the text message style bubbles. All previous versions had this and now it is not there anymore. One could previously change to different colors and bubble sizes. Very frustrating.

Forth, LIVE WALLPAPERS are gone. I like having different wallpaper options. Ughhh!!!

Fifth, the panels/home screens now have no transition options. There use to be an option where one can pick "3D ROTATION" or "CARD STACK". Also, the home panels now cannot keep going when you swipe to the left. If you have 5 home panels, you can only scroll 5 times and it stops. The same with the app panel page. If you have 3 panels full of apps, it'll only let you scroll 3 times. I like having the option that after scrolling to the end it goes to the 1st page. Instead i need to scroll all the way backwards in order to get to the beginning.

Seven, the "HIDE APP" feature is gone. I came from a Note 4 and it offered "HIDE APP". That is such a great feature. Sometimes people have nosey friends who wanna browse and riffle through your gallery to see if you have naughty photos and HIDE APP was great to hide the gallery icon so nosey friends can't intrude and now its gone. Why? I have no idea.

I know my review sounds negative, but i do like my device. I just find it odd when they remove features that people love and are functional features. On the plus side, it does seem like it isn't cluttered with bloatware and the battery size has increased. I guess you win some and then lose some. One can never have it all.

Every gripe you have can be fixed with an app from the play store. That's the main purpose of having an android. You can do basically whatever you want. They took most of those features off to lighten the pre loaded features and save space for people who won't use or didn't want them

Last edited:

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Everyone gripe you have can be fixed with an app from the play store. That's the main purpose of having an android. You can do basically whatever you want. They took most of those features off to lighten the pre loaded features and save space for people who won't use or didn't want them

Some people deal with change and progress better than others.

Posted via the Android Central App on a kicking Samsung Galaxy S7

Last edited:

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Just so your aware, auto reject and call block are still an option, go to the phone app and settings and you will see it.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

JamalJohnson

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
1.) People complained about bloat on TouchWiz, saying I never used said apps. Now that they are removed from the phone and now optional people complain.

6.) It's in the notification bar's quick settings. Been there for a while now.

7.) Lock the app with your fingerprint using Finger Security from the Play Store, or hide those specific photos in Private Mode which is built into the settings. A quick pull down of the quick settings will lock and hide your pictures and videos from your friends.

Posted via the Android Central App

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Everyone gripe you have can be fixed with an app from the play store. That's the main purpose of having an android. You can do basically whatever you want. They took most of those features off to lighten the pre loaded features and save space for people who won't use or didn't want them
Does live wallpaper from app store work? It is not a default choice?

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

1) My UK Exynos S7 came with the Voice Recorder app preinstalled but not the other two. No need to be livid, you can easily get them from the Play Store. You still have Google Play Music and the Gallery app (which supports video playback).

2) Yes you can:

8b2ced0ccfe9051ca5590a8306855797.jpg

3) They change depending on which theme you have installed.

4) Live Wallpapers still here:

62f235f62978158f4b433a39a5bf1e96.jpg

5) Again, this can change depending on the theme you have installed.

6) It's a toggle option in the notification shade. Easy to access.

6adc26c7b1fc7effa629d373f88d76ef.jpg

7) Private Mode can offer the same functionality by hiding private content (such as images in the Gallery app) behind fingerprint authorisation that only you can access.

55be7f16bb42dd491d0f24d81b08be6f.jpg

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I have some quirky expectations. I want dependable led notifications so watching for reports about it. Some say it works with the right app. Others say it is unreliable which defeats the purpose of notifications entirely. I also love live wallpaper so watching for reports of users using live wallpaper from playstore. I also need flashplayer to use work website so I am waiting for reports about whether it works. I know it hasn't been supported for years but it works in lollipop with firefox.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
I appreciate everyones feedback, but i try not to download just any app from the app store to make my phone do things. I prefer legal apps and not random apps that a teenager develops in his basement and then he has access to god knows what on my phone. I tried everything that everyone suggested and found it helpful to apply those changes that were easy to use on my Note 4, but a bit harder to find in my S7 edge.

I am probably gonna get the Note 6 when it comes out in the fall. I probably won't do the S6 Edge Plus because the curved screen really does nothing for me and i noticed that selections are always accidentally made on the S7 Edge and not on my Note 4 and this is probably due to the curved screen.

I have one last complaint, so hear me out. I am a Samsung Android fan and I just don't understand why Android makes these ridiculous changes when it doesn't benefit anyone. I understand to stay relevant or appear like they are constantly innovating, a software update is made. But no point in doing ridiculous software or OS updates for the sake of just doing it to show consumers changes were made or that they have something new.

For instance, on the S7 Edge, the browser for opening multiple windows is now on the bottom, it was on the top prior to that, and on the bottom before that. What is the point of constantly moving it up and down? So with Android 6.0, it is down, 5.0 is up, and 4.0 is down. Is that logical? Like i said, it appears they make changes just to show consumers that changes were made.

When Android first game out on the HTC G1, there was a new OS update every year from 1.0 to 2.0 to 3.0 and now they have stalled and there are no new OS's every year. Don't fix something that isn't broke.

I can't wait for the Note 6 and i am praying to GOD it has a 6 inch screen. The Note line is in desperate need of a serious make-over meaning a larger screen that is long overdue.

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to hear about these negatives. However, I'm sure some of these problems have workarounds. In fact, I see people have piped in to offer their own workarounds for the issues you described. It does seem strange that some of these features were removed, because the all seem pretty inconspicuous and not a terrible resource hog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy