S7 video quality issues

CTIGUK

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Have major concerns about the quality of video being recorded by my S7, visible in the following video.

https://youtu.be/6pCRRbB-Zh4

*apparently I'm too new to post active links, so you'll have to trust me, c&p or search 'point dume - S7 video quality issues' on youtube*

The video in the link was filmed in FHD 60 FPS, and the issue is the 'color banding' or fragmentation visible in the color of the sky throughout the recordings. Instead of being a smooth backdrop, the colors of the sky frequently seem to fragment /group up and become blocky, almost like the video is poorly compressed. Particularly visible from 1:15 onwards.

I watched someone else's video sample online and it didn't seem to suffer the same issue. Ive had a look at the settings and can't seem to see anything that may cause this. Anyone have any ideas or similar issues?

Last edited:

CTIGUK

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks - yeah the SD card I'm using is a U3: 'SanDisk Extreme 32GB UHS-I/U3 Micro SDHC Memory Card Up To 60MB/s Read With Adapte-SDSDQXN-032G-G46A' so should be plenty fast enough.

I have no idea what the awful quality is about, can't seem to find any others with issues, but it could just because it's too soon.

05 TypeS DC5

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I was also having issues w/ my camera yesterday, noticed first 2-3 seconds the camera would move around and the video quality was awful with video tearing for first few seconds then after few seconds it works fine.

today i guess after rebooting phone it looks ok.

CTIGUK

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Update - followed some tips from a Samsung tech to no avail. 4K/UHD is also showing as even more of an issue than 1080 60fps. I'm sure someone techy could explain why this might be - 4k compressed looks even worse? I'm 3 posts away from posting links to the screenshot, so I'll update when I can.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Same. My first 2-3 seconds are really bad.

Update: Rebooting my phone fixed it. Guess it was software related.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

CTIGUK

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
For those interested - three sample videos of the poor quality can be found here. Others have begun commenting that they have experienced similar issues in all recording modes, but worst in FHD60

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjb1yvLQUxljakYRkd-RlPr00COjSOCcw

Another user said they returned the phone and had the same issue with the replacement. I'm getting a replacement Saturday due to dead pixels on the screen, so we'll see if that's the case with my new one too.

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks - yeah the SD card I'm using is a U3: 'SanDisk Extreme 32GB UHS-I/U3 Micro SDHC Memory Card Up To 60MB/s Read With Adapte-SDSDQXN-032G-G46A' so should be plenty fast enough.

I have no idea what the awful quality is about, can't seem to find any others with issues, but it could just because it's too soon.

You want a SDXC U3. Up to 90mbps with minimum of 30

JindoJake

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Other threads have mentioned that turning off video stabilization helps, because the camera has built-in hardware-based stabilization, that sometimes doesn't play nice with the software stabilization algorithm. Might be worth a try.

JJ

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800