Android System using 30% battery

allensize04

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
This is my first adventure into Android since I went to iOS back with my 4S. I love my new S7. But one question I have is, I have had my phone for 3 days and my battery seems to be running down faster than I expected. When I look at the battery usage. The Android System is always first at 30% and Android OS second at 20%. Is that normal? It seems really high. I understanding it happening the first day as it is building files. But 3 days later?

legin111

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
That is way high for the system and os. They should be both around 8% something is running for sure. On other android devices including my g4, when I upgraded to MM. I had found that a lot of apps not upgraded or optimized. Some even randomly syncing for no reason.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
All depends on what the rest of the phone is doing. If you aren't doing much then the system will account for most of the CPU useage. It's all down to percentages.

Posted via the Android Central App on a kicking Samsung Galaxy S7

allensize04

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I cleared my cache. i don't have that much loaded yet. I guess I can do a master reset. Unless somebody has anymore ideas? The battery usage is that for just that battery cycle or is it over a course of a few days?

So it might be higher just because I am not doing much on it. Ok that makes sense. I guess I will see what happens tomorrow at work.

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
For some reason It's always been high on my phone, I have an S7 Edge. I also have a Note 5 but Android OS is always high on the S7 whereas on the Note 5, it's 3%. I use both every day just as much and get 3-6 hrs screen time on each and that Android OS % never seems to change.

I'm thinking this has to be normal because it's not affecting my battery life or usage in anyway.

victoryrules8

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Im suspecting that this is just the way samsung and marshmallow are reporting the information to you? Mine is high as well but is not a significant battery drain. I am still getting 5 hours SOT consistently so I don't think it's anything to really worry about .

Posted via the Android Central App

redtailed

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
My S6 lost about 0.5% per hour idle overnight.

My S7 looses 1% per hour overnight. It is almost all Android system. It is held awake a lot, and virtually no deep sleep or doze. Something is goofy about that.

When I woke up this morning. I was lightly using it, trying to figure out the battery usage, I lost over 10% in less than an hour. A lot of this was still Android System.

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
My S6 lost about 0.5% per hour idle overnight.

My S7 looses 1% per hour overnight. It is almost all Android system. It is held awake a lot, and virtually no deep sleep or doze. Something is goofy about that.

When I woke up this morning. I was lightly using it, trying to figure out the battery usage, I lost over 10% in less than an hour. A lot of this was still Android System.

Do you have AOS turned on? That may be preventing deep sleep. Also, I note for the first time on a phone, the percentages actually add up to near 100. Thus, if total consumption is quite low mere maintenance of running the phone is going to be a big part of what gets used.

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site
5b8acc1cd836ba20f9d22a03e5752045.jpg

Same thing here

anon(470989)

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Do you have AOS turned on? That may be preventing deep sleep. Also, I note for the first time on a phone, the percentages actually add up to near 100. Thus, if total consumption is quite low mere maintenance of running the phone is going to be a big part of what gets used.

AOD (Always On Display) should be the correct acronym to avoid confusion.

redtailed

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site

No, I have always on disabled (don't want the burn-in). I never got that much Android System usage on the S6. So far this S7 is a step back in battery performance for me.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
No, I have always on disabled (don't want the burn-in). I never got that much Android System usage on the S6. So far this S7 is a step back in battery performance for me.

But how long does your battery last though? If it's almost all day then you have nothing to worry about.

Posted via the Android Central App on a kicking Samsung Galaxy S7

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Strange mine is doing OK, this is today's performance I have most of the pointless features like always on display, smart stay etc. Should be getting nearly 24 hours with 5 hours screen time based on this.

eb308ff113fc1823a6713bb82ac45773.jpg

f1118c3c083333a881cb23d3d2b176e2.jpg

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
AOD (Always On Display) should be the correct acronym to avoid confusion.

O.K. Point well taken. But to be even more accurate AOD is not an acronym, because it does not make up a word, like fubar, snafu, laser or radar.:D

Last edited:

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze