Android System using 30% battery

ajmatson

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Looks like I am having the same issue with my new S7 Edge on Verizon. I went to bed last nite and the phone was at 76% charge, yes I do have the AOD on but when i woke up it was at 55%. With Doze and AOD supposedly only taking 1% per hour then the phone should have been a lot higher. Today I fully charged to 100% right before 11am and now at a bit more than 3 hours later I am at 85%, that's over 5% an hour drop and according to the prediction I wont even make it until 8am. Android System is using 55% on mine and notice my screen time is low at 8%, my SOT right at the time of this screenshot was only 23 minutes. Something is up with the new Android OS in my opinion. Also my cell signal per is between 60 - 80db during the whole time :(, My iPhone 6 was able to go two full days with a lot more use than I have been giving my S7E and I I haven't even made many calls with this one, I was on my iPhone all day long.

2016_03_15_13.41.57.jpg

ih8sn0w88

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Screenshot_20160315-150447.jpg
This is mine, and has constantly been like this. I have had nothing but issues with this phone, I even had to factory reset my device the day after I got the phone.I even downloaded package disabler pro and disabled bloatware only. It still hasn't made a difference. This is my usage for today, and my phones been in my pocket all morning. I even had power saver on! I really want to like this phone, but I am having a hard time with this battery crap. So after speaking with a rep for AT&T, they suggested going in and exchanging it for another phone since I am within my 14 days. So now I have to spend more money on another screen protector. Such a headache, reminds me of my old iPhone 4 that was glitchy as heck.

motivr

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
your battery stat is just like mine except mine is S7 flat.
I noticed that my battery doesn't drain at work as much as when i'm at home.
I suspect it might have problem with certain Wi-fi router (I have AC2600 TP link router at home. Motorola N router at work). or maybe 4G/3G siginal level.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Looks like I am having the same issue with my new S7 Edge on Verizon. I went to bed last nite and the phone was at 76% charge, yes I do have the AOD on but when i woke up it was at 55%. With Doze and AOD supposedly only taking 1% per hour then the phone should have been a lot higher. Today I fully charged to 100% right before 11am and now at a bit more than 3 hours later I am at 85%, that's over 5% an hour drop and according to the prediction I wont even make it until 8am. Android System is using 55% on mine and notice my screen time is low at 8%, my SOT right at the time of this screenshot was only 23 minutes. Something is up with the new Android OS in my opinion. Also my cell signal per is between 60 - 80db during the whole time :(, My iPhone 6 was able to go two full days with a lot more use than I have been giving my S7E and I I haven't even made many calls with this one, I was on my iPhone all day long.

View attachment 220461

My understanding is that AOD does not allow Doze to fire. I have not confirmed that myself though, since I don't want to use AOD.

The graph shows Doze is coming online and doing what it's supposed to do. I'm not sure if Samsung "weights" the battery indicator, letting it sit at 100% longer than the battery is actually at 100%. If they are that could be artificially inflating numbers from other people that charge to full and then unplug and let it sit overnight.

I know that iPhone behaves that way so it's not out of the realm of possibility that Samsung is doing the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site
The graph shows Doze is coming online and doing what it's supposed to do. I'm not sure if Samsung "weights" the battery indicator, letting it sit at 100% longer than the battery is actually at 100%. If they are that could be artificially inflating numbers from other people that charge to full and then unplug and let it sit overnight.

I know that iPhone behaves that way so it's not out of the realm of possibility that Samsung is doing the same thing.
I don't think it's is. It only sits at 100 for a couple minutes for me.

bsannes

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
So I looked in app manager and there were a few apps the had high usage. Knox , settings, gear very, and help all said it used 22% of the battery . They all are rolled into the same service package run in think , they say the exact same thing for battery use and mah usage .

Posted via the Android Central App

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
View attachment 220463
This is mine, and has constantly been like this. I have had nothing but issues with this phone, I even had to factory reset my device the day after I got the phone.I even downloaded package disabler pro and disabled bloatware only. It still hasn't made a difference. This is my usage for today, and my phones been in my pocket all morning. I even had power saver on! I really want to like this phone, but I am having a hard time with this battery crap. So after speaking with a rep for AT&T, they suggested going in and exchanging it for another phone since I am within my 14 days. So now I have to spend more money on another screen protector. Such a headache, reminds me of my old iPhone 4 that was glitchy as heck.

I don't think it's is. It only sits at 100 for a couple minutes for me.

We are having the same problem. Its very frustrating for me. I went to bed with 100% charged, woke up in the morning with 82%. I've reset my phone 3 times to no avail. I will be calling Verizon today to get a replacement edge. Im not going to settle, especially at a $792 price tag. This last time I reset my phone I didn't even install any of my personal apps and the phone's battery is still dropping like a bad habit. This happened as well when I tried the Note 5 last year. The battery would drain crazy. I reordered a replacement and the device battery worked as intended. I was consistently getting over 5 1/2 hours of screen on time with the replacement. Barely getting 3 hr SOT with this phone.

I have another edge in the house and that phone android system/os barely trickles upwards past 10%. And this phone has all personal apps installed. The phone in question here, texts all day like nobody's business, social media, uses the phone medium to heavy usage and still have 30 by bed.

Bottom line don't settle, reorder a replacement.

motivr

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
BEFORE (With AOD ON, WIFI ON)
Screenshot_20160315-092305.jpg
AFTER (With AOD Off, Wifi Off)
Screenshot_20160316-075541.jpg

3.5% battery drop per hour Vs. 0.37% drop per hour
turning aod & wifi off definitely "fixed" the problem.
I experiment try twice more with just aod or just wifi off to see which one is the real cause..

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
BEFORE (With AOD ON, WIFI ON)
View attachment 220640
AFTER (With AOD Off, Wifi Off)
View attachment 220641

3.5% battery drop per hour Vs. 0.37% drop per hour
turning aod & wifi off definitely "fixed" the problem.
I experiment try twice more with just aod or just wifi off to see which one is the real cause..

Thanks this helps, but don't feel I should have to turn anything off especially wifi. I don't have unlimited data. I will try to turn off wifi at work and see if it helps. But again my gold edge in the house has everything turned on and is working like it should. Please keep us updated.

motivr

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks this helps, but don't feel I should have to turn anything off especially wifi. I don't have unlimited data. I will try to turn off wifi at work and see if it helps. But again my gold edge in the house has everything turned on and is working like it should. Please keep us updated.
you're right, i'm just trying to stop drainage before possible firmware fix comes out.
By the way did you try your Gold Edge at your work with wifi connected?
because I noticed my S7 (with wifi on, of course) drain a lot faster when it's connected to home wifi.
but seems to be normal when it's connected to wifi at work.
what kind of router do you have at home, and at work?

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
you're right, i'm just trying to stop drainage before possible firmware fix comes out.
By the way did you try your Gold Edge at your work with wifi connected?
because I noticed my S7 (with wifi on, of course) drain a lot faster when it's connected to home wifi.
but seems to be normal when it's connected to wifi at work.
what kind of router do you have at home, and at work?

Gold is not connected to Wifi at work, but is on. Arris router at home. No matter where I am the battery drains fast though. Well ill be taking mine to a Verizon store today and exchanging. This time I wont install any personal apps until I feel comfortable with Android OS and Android system not killing my battery.

ajmatson

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
So not sure if this was the cause as I am going to fully charge again today and re-test over nite but yesterday around 8pm I disabled Knox using Package Disable Pro and shutdown/restarted my Edge. You can see in the battery graph now (which this is the same charge as the image I posted yesterday) at that time the battery leveled out a lot. I used the phone for about 2 more hours normally before bed and did not plug it in. When I went to sleep I had 36% left and woke to 24% with AOD on which is much better than the 25% drain I had before. Now to recap I had AOD on, Wifi was on and the phone sat on my nightstand. For the first time I now have seen Doze kick in as it should overnite. So I an confirm that with AOD on doze should still come on so something else was stopping it the other nites. Maybe Knox is the culprit?? I do get an annoying message when I reboot from Knox but I don't care for the better battery. I will update tomorrow on how the new charge goes now.

Also to note my SOT was only 1 hours 52 minutes for this charge.

2016_03_16_09.34.47.jpg 2016_03_16_09.36.08.jpg

Riopower

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Wait how do your gsam shows Doze (% Screen Off) and Doze Sessions? mine doesn't show that. have you had it since you got the phone? (I have s7)

Last edited:

iliya ilias

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
It's not the always on display its > Marshmallow. I have S7 and rooted LG G3. As soon as I installed any Marshmallow Rom on the G3 the battery drain increased by 30-40%. There's a fix for some rooted devices, but wee have to wait for Google and Samsung to update the S7. Turning on and off wifi will not help much either, and you need the wifi for precise map location.

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I am not seeing much of a battery drain problem as a heat problem (in my opinion). It slowly ramps up from the morning then hovers around 85F which I know isn't burning hot but it is warm to the touch and can feel it in my pocket. I don't have too much running in the foreground. What bothers me is the "held awake" time of 2h 17m over 3h 47m since turned on. This seems alarming to me. I can't figure out what it is.

sling1

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
hmm no problems here & even better battery life with "Package Disabler Pro" <-- No root needed.

No crank down display brightness & disable GPS nonsense etc milking the battery.
The simple fix is disable bloat such as,
Facebook Junk
Drive
Gear VR Junk
Google play Movies etc google voice Junk
Knox Junk
S Voice
Samsung+
Basically the basic stupid bloat & your device will sleep deep

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160316-121029.jpg
    Screenshot_20160316-121029.jpg