Android System using 30% battery

setalight

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same issue.

I've got Samsung Galaxy S7 and find myself having to charge my phone twice a day. My phone has been off charge for 4 hours and is down to below 50%, the majority seems to be Android System (knox has used 23%).

How do I fix this?

Matt724

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site

I've got Samsung Galaxy S7 and find myself having to charge my phone twice a day. My phone has been off charge for 4 hours and is down to below 50%, the majority seems to be Android System (knox has used 23%).

How do I fix this?

Download package disable pro and disable Knox and other crap you don't need

brotherqwerty

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I found this thread from a google search.

I just got my S7 Edge on tuesday and my battery lasts at best half a day.

Android services is showing as 30-50% in battery usage.

I haven't seen anythingwith a real fix out there yet.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Takes me, phone, 3-4 days to get everything installed and the way I want. And it would be doing more than average for first couple days.

Austin H

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
I just got my Note 7 about a week ago and have had Android System and Android OS use 20%+ of my battery each almost every day since I've had it. It is an AT&T model and I've disabled most bloatware and added Nova Launcher. I'm an AT&T sales rep and normally can determine the cause of battery drain but this is stumping me and my coworkers.

ricegasm

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
This happened with my Xiaomi Redmi Note 3. It was wake 95%+ or even 100% and android system/system would consistently be taking up CPU or wasting battery (even up to 50% at times). The battery would drain 20% overnight even I had nothing running and no wifi on. Even after a factory reset, the issue continued.

After switching my launcher from the MIUI to Nova Launcher (others should work as well), it seems my phone has significantly less wake %. I've only been using the launcher for a few hours so it's not a for sure solution, but it's the only thing that has effectively alleviated/fixed the problem so far.

Good luck!

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site

How do I fix this?

I don't use Knox and by the end of the day my battery life is 65-70%, mind you I'm a very light user but maybe Knox is eating up your battery

mru007

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Always On Display (AOD) does not consume noticeable battery & no, it does not cause a "burn-in" issue, as some users keep mentioning. It keeps changing it's position on the display & moreover, takes full advantage of the AMOLED display architecture.

This is my first adventure into Android since I went to iOS back with my 4S. I love my new S7. But one question I have is, I have had my phone for 3 days and my battery seems to be running down faster than I expected. When I look at the battery usage. The Android System is always first at 30% and Android OS second at 20%. Is that normal? It seems really high. I understanding it happening the first day as it is building files. But 3 days later?

This "Android System" & "Android OS" consuming more battery is due to the device not going into Deep Sleep state. Some app is stopping to go into Deep Sleep (other than Always On Display because this does not drain battery).
When you buy a new phone, at least give one week for the battery to settle in. If still battery drain issue, then I would suggest anyone (by now this must have been fixed on your phone, because this is an older post) to check for the pre-installed apps (most of which come from mobile carriers) and disable these unwanted apps. If you don't wish to disable an app, check for the permissions that these apps are using & limit those to that only necessary (storage). Then perform a "Wipe Cache Partition" from Recovery Menu. If still the issue persists after a 24-hour window, then take backup & perform a Factory Reset from Recovery menu. This should fix the issue.

I just got my Note 7 about a week ago and have had Android System and Android OS use 20%+ of my battery each almost every day since I've had it. It is an AT&T model and I've disabled most bloatware and added Nova Launcher. I'm an AT&T sales rep and normally can determine the cause of battery drain but this is stumping me and my coworkers.

Disable the pre-installed apps (if you have not already) that come from mobile carriers (AT&T in your case). Then check for the permissions of the other installed apps. Limit those to only what are required (Storage permissions only). Many of these apps take control over the 'Location' permissions or other unwanted permissions & then this battery drain issue starts.
After checking this, I would recommend to perform a "Wipe Cache Partition" of your device from the Recovery Menu.
And then calibrate the battery of your device (Android OS, to be precise), as recommended on
https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-calibrate-the-battery-on-your-android-device
(Not recommended to do this often. Once in four months or so is fine):

1. Discharge your phone fully until it turns itself off.
2. Turn it on again and let it turn itself off.
3. Plug your phone into a charger and, without turning it on, let it charge until the on-screen or LED indicator says 100 percent.
4. Unplug your charger.
5. Turn your phone on. It's likely that the battery indicator won't say 100 percent, so plug the charger back in (leave your phone on) and continue charging until it says 100 percent on-screen as well.
6. Unplug your phone and restart it. If it doesn't say 100 percent plug the charger back in until it says 100 percent on screen.
7. Repeat this cycle until it says 100 percent (or as close as you think it's going to get) when you start it up without being plugged in.
8. Now, let your battery discharge all the way down to 0 percent and let your phone turn off again.
9. Fully charge the battery one more time without interruption and you should have reset the Android system's battery percentage.

Last edited by a moderator:

allensize04

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I have done all of this and the phone still does not go into deep sleep at night, and the android system is still using around 30%. I have just learn to live with it.

wgs84

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Thank you, sling1 !

Here are my results:

View attachment 239859

You guys understand that that's the percentage of the total battery consumed, right? Refer back to post #46 on page 2:

There is no set value that the OS should be using. It is relative to the other usage of the device. If you use your screen a lot more, then the OS usage as a % of total will be lower. If you're one who idles a lot and has a lower screen time, then OS will be higher as a % of total. Jason Stroud1's screenshots are perfectly normal because the phone is idling a lot of the time and the screen is barely being used. Mrrikki's screenshot is perfectly normal because the screen is being used over twice as much. Signal strength, type of connection (WiFi, LTE, HSPA, etc), screen on time, GPS activity, wake activity, etc. all have huge impacts on battery life.

Those screenshots don't prove that Android System and Android OS are using any less battery. They could also prove that you're using Cell Standby and Screen a lot more than Android System. Like my Android System says 23%, but my battery drain over the past two hours has only been 4%.

Ryan Cellini

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
My android system is consistently the highest battery user, but percentages aside I'm getting pretty bad battery life. Average life is less that 9 hours. I had 16% battery life left today after 8 hours off my charger. That only included 1.5 hours of onscreen time. That's really bad. Any suggestions?

amans1282

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site

DanJJ

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Mine was working fine until today. I was going a whole day and still had 30-40% left. Not sure what happened, but an hour after I took it off the charger this morning it was down to 75%. 2 hours later it was under 40%. I charged to 100% again and now 4 hours later it's back below 40%. Most of this is the android system. You can see in the screen shot (angle of the battery drop) that it used to last a lot longer.
Screenshot_20160929-161324.jpg

maximbc1

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
I had same thing happen to me today too. Started today, was good before that and no changes were made to the phone.
Phone is very laggy and slow and a huge drain on the battery by android services. Rebooted 5 times but no help.

DanJJ

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I had same thing happen to me today too. Started today, was good before that and no changes were made to the phone.
Phone is very laggy and slow and a huge drain on the battery by android services. Rebooted 5 times but no help.

Yeah, I tried rebooting like 5 times too. Didn't make any difference. And no changes since yesterday, just started happening today

ndpsorts316

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
I am jumping on the wagon too. My T-mobile S7 has been fine until today. All day my phone was running hotter than normal. I cleared cache and rebooted a bunch of times and nothing has helped. I also went into safe mode and the phone seemed to run much better and cooler. My android system was running at around 53% battery. I also read around the net that possibly oculus has a bad update. I uninstalled all oculus apps in my phone and rebooted. My phone is running much cooler now and it appears the android system dropped in percentage as well. I am going to clear cache once more to be safe and hope that it was Oculus that is causing this.

Does anybody know if Oculus runs in safe mode? I wouldn't think so because its a 3rd party app. Below is my screen shot after removing Oculus.

android.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol