Music streaming stops/pauses on galaxy s7

Vallario

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
I've had the Samsung galaxy s7 (sprint) for the past week and the one bug/glitch I've noticed has been with music streaming. It doesn't matter if it's pandora or spotify but the music will suddenly stop playing either halfway through the song or after the first song requiring me to unlock my phone and once the app is back on my screen it starts playing again without having to hit the play button. Its happened on 3g, 4g, WiFi, while driving, with bluetooth headphones, regular phone speakers etc. I've tried turning the phone off and on, and clearing the cache however nothing is working. I've looked up previous issues and people have said the comcast app with the s5 caused similar problems but I don't have that problem. Upgraded from a s5 last week with none of these problems. Any fixes?

I tried everything! I totally gave up and considered it my luck. Until tonight, after months of suddenly unable to play music without having to unlock my phone.. I Googled for help one last time. While trying to follow directions in the settings, I noticed my power saving mode was turned on. WaaLa! Problem fixed. I never write issues or reply with solutions but considering how desperate I was, I'd help anyone out in this matter. I can't believe it was something so simple, I hope this helps!

Dontaves Wright

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Note 5 I always keep mine in Power saving mode. Who doesn't? So I figured it out! I use Spotify. My music kept cutting off after 1 song. Had to keep the app open. You know how it is. This should work on any streaming music app.
1. Go into Power Saving Mode
2. Unchecked restrict all background data

Simple as that. Nothing complicated or hacks. It's all about knowing your phone. There getting more complicated with each software upgrade. I hope this helps.

VACaver

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I have an S5 and use Rhapsody (or Napster as it's now called). Never had an issue until I did the upgrade to 6.0 a few weeks ago. Now a song will start, play for a split-second, stop, play for another split-second, stop, and do the same thing over and over as if it can't connect . I've done all the so-called fixes listed here and still have the issue.

For what it's worth, I'm streaming on Youtube music at the moment and having zero problems.

Any suggestions?

Bruno Alex Oliveira

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
So I have a Samsung G6Active that I've had for just over a year. Music and Audio apps worked great...until I got the Marshmallow update. Since then, audio plays for about 10 minutes (+/- a couple minutes) afterwhich the audio pauses. Amazon Music Player, Google Play Music, Pandora, Podcast Addict, SoundCloud, it doesn't seem to matter which app. I experience this problem regardless of whether power saving mode is on or off so that is not my issue despite all the helpful suggestions in the thread. It is very strange that this started to happen after the OS update (but it sounds like I was just lucky it didn't happen to me with Lollipop). I'm about ready to do a factory reset, but I've seen that others have tried that without success. Does anyone have any other suggestions that do not relate to Power Savings mode?

Hey,
You could solve? I have the same problem and not solution found. I have one Moto X2 with Android 6.0.1. I tried all solution shown here, but not solved for me.

cchi7427

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
I've had the Samsung galaxy s7 (sprint) for the past week and the one bug/glitch I've noticed has been with music streaming. It doesn't matter if it's pandora or spotify but the music will suddenly stop playing either halfway through the song or after the first song requiring me to unlock my phone and once the app is back on my screen it starts playing again without having to hit the play button. Its happened on 3g, 4g, WiFi, while driving, with bluetooth headphones, regular phone speakers etc. I've tried turning the phone off and on, and clearing the cache however nothing is working. I've looked up previous issues and people have said the comcast app with the s5 caused similar problems but I don't have that problem. Upgraded from a s5 last week with none of these problems. Any fixes?

This is happening to me too. Spotify, soundcloud, and my podcast apps. I'm so frustrated - just bought this phone after switching from apple and starting to regret that decision.

daLionTamer

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
I had this problem then realized it only happened when I had power saving mode turned on, turn that off before you listen to music

This worked for me!! I was about go off on Spirit and Samsung. I couldn't use iheartradio or pandora. I was using my old note 4 to stream. Thank you so much

David Schmid1

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Thanks also for the heads up. I was having an issue when using the Amazon Music App and bluetooth headphones and the music streaming stopped when the screen was locked. To fix it I turned off App power saving for this app only. Steps were:
1) click the gear icon at the top of the screen
2) scroll down and click on Battery
3) Under App power saving click DETAIL
4) Find Amazon Music, click on it and choose Turned off

Nathan Dally

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
So I have a Samsung G6Active that I've had for just over a year. Music and Audio apps worked great...until I got the Marshmallow update. Since then, audio plays for about 10 minutes (+/- a couple minutes) afterwhich the audio pauses. Amazon Music Player, Google Play Music, Pandora, Podcast Addict, SoundCloud, it doesn't seem to matter which app. I experience this problem regardless of whether power saving mode is on or off so that is not my issue despite all the helpful suggestions in the thread. It is very strange that this started to happen after the OS update (but it sounds like I was just lucky it didn't happen to me with Lollipop). I'm about ready to do a factory reset, but I've seen that others have tried that without success. Does anyone have any other suggestions that do not relate to Power Savings mode?

Bump

kriswolo

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
[*]Background data - Didn't check this, but I hadn't changed anything so I'm not sure why this would suddenly be an issue.
Mistake. For me turning power saving off didn't solve the issue, but restricting background processes did.

As you install new apps, the number of background processes is growing. At some point there is too many of them and Android starts optimizing by shutting some of them down. From time to time it happens to apps that play audio. The process is shut down and the playback stops. This could probably be solved by giving the audio app background process a higher priority. Unfortunatelly I don't know how to do it nor if it's possible at all.

Anyway restricting background processes seems to be working for me. I have a HTC One 9 running Android Marshmallow. Currently I am testing the "1 background process at the most" option and playback doesn't stop. I can go up to 4.

Stuart Parr

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I have this problem and it's not related to power saving which is off and hasn't been turned on at all on this phone. It's also the second S7 Edge I've had and others with the S7 Edge have the same problem. There's consistent behaviour - apps that stop music from playing always stop music from playing, it's not intermittent. Pokémon Go is the first app that I experienced it with (but interestingly not Ingress) and it's also happening with Futurama Game of Clones. It used to be when the game was loading that music playing would stop but recently it's started doing it when switching between apps. I have a suspicion it's only full screen (ie. covering the notification bar) apps that stop the music playing. Pokémon Go and Ingress both use the same game engine but Pokémon Go is full screen whereas Ingress isn't. Futurama is also full screen. Nothing else causes music to stop on my phone. I wonder if it might be something in a security update that prevents media from playing in the background if the notification bar is covered.

Stuart Parr

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Just to add that it's not all full screen apps - I installed a couple of other full screen games and they don't do it. The only difference is that they are fixed landscape games. That's probably a red herring.

Stuart Parr

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Also pertinent is that the apps don't just block music playback, they also interfere with OK Google recognition and controls on Bluetooth and wired earphones.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Mistake. For me turning power saving off didn't solve the issue, but restricting background processes did.

As you install new apps, the number of background processes is growing. At some point there is too many of them and Android starts optimizing by shutting some of them down. From time to time it happens to apps that play audio. The process is shut down and the playback stops. This could probably be solved by giving the audio app background process a higher priority. Unfortunatelly I don't know how to do it nor if it's possible at all.

Anyway restricting background processes seems to be working for me. I have a HTC One 9 running Android Marshmallow. Currently I am testing the "1 background process at the most" option and playback doesn't stop. I can go up to 4.
That only happens in a poorly coded app, or poorly coded firmware where the phone's OS doesn't know that it shouldn't shut down an active process. Seems like HTC isn't so good at that based from your post. Which really isn't applicable here because this thread is in the Galaxy S7 forum because it's supposed to cater specifically to Samsung Galaxy S7 units with this problem.

BLo444

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
This issue started on my S7 with Pandora and Pokemon Go. Totally bums me out that I can't stream music and play Pokemon Go. Any suggestions?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
This issue started on my S7 with Pandora and Pokemon Go. Totally bums me out that I can't stream music and play Pokemon Go. Any suggestions?
Pokemon Go and Spotify works togethee fine for me. Try downloading Spotify and see if it works. If it does, it's a Pandora app problem and try contacting devs. If it still has problems, could be the phone.

kriswolo

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
this thread is in the Galaxy S7 forum because it's supposed to cater specifically to Samsung Galaxy S7 units with this problem.
The problem seems to be Android-related. And as was mentioned before it is app-independent. And most probably also firmware-independent.

I am still investigating this. Limiting background processes certainly helps, but allowing only one, two, three or even four background processes at a time is a severe restriction for a modern smartphone.

ShelbyNg_ATCo

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
I think there is. In my case when I went to disable Power Saving Mode thanks to the forum's advice I only unchecked the Restrict All Background Data part leaving Power Saving Mode on. That took care of the issue while letting me the use of Power Saving Mode on my S7. Thanks a lot for all your help, guys, I really appreciate it!

Blessings to you all!

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The problem seems to be Android-related. And as was mentioned before it is app-independent. And most probably also firmware-independent.

I am still investigating this. Limiting background processes certainly helps, but allowing only one, two, three or even four background processes at a time is a severe restriction for a modern smartphone.
It's not app independent. Because it works fine on my phone, hence it's not s global Android problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC