Music streaming stops/pauses on galaxy s7

Russr42

Dec 20, 2016
Visit site
I have this problem and it's not related to power saving which is off and hasn't been turned on at all on this phone. It's also the second S7 Edge I've had and others with the S7 Edge have the same problem. There's consistent behaviour - apps that stop music from playing always stop music from playing, it's not intermittent. Pokémon Go is the first app that I experienced it with (but interestingly not Ingress) and it's also happening with Futurama Game of Clones. It used to be when the game was loading that music playing would stop but recently it's started doing it when switching between apps. I have a suspicion it's only full screen (ie. covering the notification bar) apps that stop the music playing. Pokémon Go and Ingress both use the same game engine but Pokémon Go is full screen whereas Ingress isn't. Futurama is also full screen. Nothing else causes music to stop on my phone. I wonder if it might be something in a security update that prevents media from playing in the background if the notification bar is covered.

I have an S7 Edge and listen to Amazon music, have had this stopping issue for months now. I got around it by downloading the music I wanted and just listening to that.
Having read this thread, I looked and my power saving mode was off, always has been.
But I turned it on, the set it to come on at 15%.
Then turned off Restrict All Background Data.
Then, I turned power saving mode off again.
Have now been listening to streaming music for half an hour, no pausing. Don't know why it worked, but glad it did. Hope this helps.

Melle mel1

Jan 3, 2017
Visit site
Is there any workaround to continue using the power saving mode ? Unfortunately, disabling it consumes a lot of battery from my galaxy s6 device....

A workaround that I found was after opening the power save options menu by long pressing the icon I can then disable power saving mode on selected apps. I. E. I disabled the power saving for my Pandora, iHeartRadio, Sirius XM Radio. Then I turned back on power saving mode for the rest of the apps and I have not had a problem since while streaming music.

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I have an S7 Edge and listen to Amazon music, have had this stopping issue for months now. I got around it by downloading the music I wanted and just listening to that.
Having read this thread, I looked and my power saving mode was off, always has been.
But I turned it on, the set it to come on at 15%.
Then turned off Restrict All Background Data.
Then, I turned power saving mode off again.
Have now been listening to streaming music for half an hour, no pausing. Don't know why it worked, but glad it did. Hope this helps.

You had restrict background data on? Then that was the culprit. The point of restricting background data is to turn off data when screen off. No data, no stream.

neodraig

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
I used to have a Galaxy S5 and I never had this problem when I was using Lollipop (as far as I remember).
It started when I updated to Marshmallow, then the music started stopping randomly, both with local music (Rocket Player) or when using streaming (Spotify, Pandora).
Then I updated my S5 to Cyanogenmod 13.1 but the problem was still there :(
I bought a Galaxy S7 Edge a month ago, and I thought that the problem would be fixed, but I was wrong, it's still there :mad:
I have never activated the power saving features and I have even disabled the music players in the App Power Saving list but it didn't work.
I just tried Russr42's trick but I don't if it'll work (as the ptoblem is random).
I also hope that the Nougat update (not yet available for me) will fix the problem.

kriswolo

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
It's not app independent. Because it works fine on my phone, hence it's not s global Android problem.
It was app-independent on my phone.

Just for the record. Last week I got an update from Marshmallow to Nougat and random playback stopping is gone. So there is a good chance that Marshmallow is to blame here.

Master1br

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
I used to have a Galaxy S5 and I never had this problem when I was using Lollipop (as far as I remember).
It started when I updated to Marshmallow, then the music started stopping randomly, both with local music (Rocket Player) or when using streaming (Spotify, Pandora).
Then I updated my S5 to Cyanogenmod 13.1 but the problem was still there :(
I bought a Galaxy S7 Edge a month ago, and I thought that the problem would be fixed, but I was wrong, it's still there :mad:
I have never activated the power saving features and I have even disabled the music players in the App Power Saving list but it didn't work.
I just tried Russr42's trick but I don't if it'll work (as the ptoblem is random).
I also hope that the Nougat update (not yet available for me) will fix the problem.

I have the same exact issue that you have except that i use Poweramp for my music on the SD Card and my new phone is a Tmobile LG V20. Im also on my second V20 and the problem still there. I have tried all the fixes mentioned here but atill happening. I disabled the Tmobile which helped but it seems that it has somenthing to do with Google Chrome. If you a leave a webpage open it seems to make the problem worse. Any thoughts??

spanisheather

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
I am now having the same issue. I have tried all the suggestions and tweaks mentioned here and the ONLY way I can get uninterrupted streaming while not doing something else on the phone at the same time to keep it from going to sleep is by having my phone plugged in while doing so. No need to change any other settings. All the other tweaks and setting changes mentioned did not help at all. After talking with a friend, it appears Apple devices, or at least some of them, function the same way. Have the device plugged in and streams beautifully. I've tested it out with multiple apps and works perfect every time.
Hope this helps others!

HiroboFreak

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I am experiencing this issue with Music streaming to Samsung TV from my S7 stopping playback.

I use Samsung Music app and stream from the app itself and have never had a problem until updating to Nougat recently, however there was a Samsung Music app update around the same time so it could be either.

If the phone is awake it doesn't drop out, only when the screen is off.
I did notice that the TV pops up "Please check network connection" just before the music stops.
When it stops, if I unlock my phone and hit Play it connects again and starts streaming.

I'll try again with the phone charging to see if that makes a difference, but I never had a problem until the last updates.

Frustrating!

HiroboFreak

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Definitely doesn't drop out when on charge.
I had it going for half an hour with no issues.
Unplugged the charger and it dropped out after 8 minutes with the "Please Check Network Connection" pop up message on TV just before it dropped.

Certainly seems like it drops WiFi when the phone goes to sleep even through the phone is set to keep Wi-Fi on when sleeping always.

astrofed

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
Folks, I have found the solution to this problem. On Android nougat, go to setting > Data Usage > Data Saver > Allow unrestricted data usage. In there, you will see the apps that are allow to be running in the background, while the system goes into sleep mode. Find the apps you wish to have running in the background, and enable them. BAMMMMM!

Correction, nope, didn't resolve the issue

Correction again, I did resolve issue.
Setting > Applications > application manager > menu (the top right, 3 dots) > special access (not sure if this is normally available, I put my phone into developer mode) > optimize battery usage > select from dropdown - ALL APPS > find that app(s) that stop working while in sleep mode (screen off) and turn off the optimization.
Verify this corrected my issue.
Hope this helps for everyone else.

Last edited:

HiroboFreak

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
So you removed the optimisation for Samsung Music?

Trying this now....

EDIT:

Nope. Not resolved for me. Streaming stops after about 8 minutes so no change at all. :(

Last edited:

astrofed

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
So you removed the optimisation for Samsung Music?

Trying this now....

EDIT:

Nope. Not resolved for me. Streaming stops after about 8 minutes so no change at all. :(

just to make sure, you also have "allow background date usage" enabled?
got to settings > applications > application manager > select "samsung music" > mobile data > allow background data usage

also go to settings > data usage > see if data saver is on or off, if on, turn it off.

those are the only suggestions I have. I worked for me. I have gotten all the apps that were stopping while screen off, to work properly. I hope this helps too.

HiroboFreak

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
All of the above were already set correctly. :(

I guess I'll need to keep phone plugged in while streaming until Samsung fix it.

Can't stream Samsung Music from a Samsung phone to a Samsung TV.

Awesome! Hahaha

astrofed

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
question? if you don't stream it to your TV, but just play it from your phone, does it still timeout after a few minutes with the screen off?

astrofed

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
the reason I ask, because if you are just using single app, like pandora or spotify, they don't use any other android/samsung services, but the samsung music might, and even more so when streaming to your tv, so you would have to turn off the optimization for those services as well.

Sailor1986

Jul 19, 2017
Visit site
For me: Spotify, Google Play Music, Rhapsody, and YouTube all have the same issue ??????

Called Telus and told them about my problem with my music and videos pausing. I HAD NEVER problem when phone was in the safe mode. They told me it's 3rd party software problem. SO I deleted 360security app and now phone works perfect. I have Samsung galaxy 6 edge.. All you guys should first go into safe mode and try play music or Stream video if it works perfect without pausing it's not your phone or OS it's one of your apps causing this. I Uninstaled 360 security app and no problems.

Last edited:

Bender78

Aug 10, 2017
Visit site
Music has been cutting out on all my players for the last few weeks (Podcast Addict, Black Player, Phonograph). I followed all instructions of changing settings so far, hard reset, bluetooth reset etc but nothing helped.

I noticed that when I went to device maintenance under settings and hit the "fix now" button, it would say 1 app was closed and the music would start replaying automatically.

I then used a task killer and just killed app by app when it paused again. Turns out it was a text/mms message app I have been using for years. It seems only to have become an issue recently.

Since deleting the app, I have listened to a podcast for 45mins+ and the sound hasn't cut out yet. Hopefully will save someone a hard reset as this seems to have worked for me. So far!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc