S7 treats POP3 e-mail differently than S5, why is that?

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
S7 treats POP3 e-mail differently than S5

I am using the standard e-mail app with a TWC POP3 account. I am very familiar with IMAP accounts, but this has NOT been setup as an IMAP account in the past and is not this time. So this is not about wanting IMAP.

Here is how e-mail worked on my S5. If I had it set for "when deleted from inbox" what happened was this. During the day I could download e-mail on my phone....and then when I got home and "deleted it from the server" by using my Outlook client, the next time the phone synced the e-mail disappeared immediately on the phone. This is NOT an IMAP situation, all I have is incoming mail, and if outlook is downloaded, the e-mail on the phone is gone. I could watch it disappear.

With my S7, using the exact same incoming/outgoing servers and ports, it is NOT deleting the email after it is removed from the server. So it acts more like....cough...cough....an ipad does which is a royal pain.

Is there some hidden setting somewhere that changes this behavior? I know there are many other clients, and also the gmail included client, but I also use an exchange account so I like the standard app. Same server settings, same email settings, different behavior.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
BJB1

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: S7 treats POP3 e-mail differently than S5

I have setup one other S7 and another S7 Edge. They ALL are behaving the same (different) way noted above. Is no one else noticing this difference?
BJB1

paulhafer

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Same here...and while this annoying behavior is not the end of life as we know it, I am hoping for a solution where, when the S7 email app syncs with an empty pop3 email server, it will then empty the mail from the S7 inbox...that is still what "sync" means isn't it?

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
There is no doubt the behavior is different between my S5 and S7 with Marshmallow and how they handle POP3. I proved it by having my S5 and S7 syncing and watching what they did!

My solution was to utilize IMAP on my S7's and POP3 on my desktop outlook clients (not typically recommended). Of course when you delete your POP3 account and set it up as IMAP on your S7 you LOSE ALL your e-mail on your phone. No issue for me but FYI.

So the phone does now in fact "sync" like it used to. And if you delete something on the phone, it deletes it on the server just like it used to.

I keep the Outlook desktops as POP 3 and have Outlook set to delete everything from the server when I download to my desktop (which is how I had it on my S5 too). And after opening outlook, the phone when it "connects" automatically clears out the inbox on the phone. There is some clean up....trash also must be emptied, it keeps all sent on phone, etc. etc. But it is the closest I could get to the behavior of my S5.

Please read up on what converting to IMAP means so you do not lose anything you do not want to..... My attitude is everything I want to keep is in my outlook client's PST and with that setup as POP3 it cannot be deleted by any "sync". But of course this will NOT work for anyone that wants to keep all their email on their phone too. In that case setup BOTH as IMAP. But again, research what IMAP on a desktop would do to saved folders, etc. I am not an expert there.

I want things to "disappear" from my phone so IMAP works for me there.

An unusual configuration, but for those that want that behavior, it is working.
BJB1

paulhafer

May 9, 2012
Visit site
as a followup, I installed a different email app (K-9) and discovered that it worked correctly, deleting the email from the app inbox after syncing with an empty pop3 mail server. As before, I have the phone email app set to never delete mail from the server, but that is of course just my preference...all mail is deleted from the server when I download mail to desktop outlook. I would guess the S7 email app "sync" issue is not with Android 6, but rather with the Samsung email app, unless of course for some unknown and strange reason, Samsung actually changed it to work that way by design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463