Change DPI scaling to condensed (or modify DPI to anything you want)

anon(9013794)

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: Change DPI scaling to condensed

That's pretty cool trick , but I thought changing the grid size would do the same thing ?

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

That's pretty cool trick , but I thought changing the grid size would do the same thing ?

That would for your home screen but this changes it for everything (icons, notification panel, settings, etc.)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Defently going to try this

I believe you will love it. I certainly do. It gives me more room for notifications within the notification panel and I also just like the smaller icons at the top (battery percent, BT, etc.). :).

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site

I went back tried it again, I actually like what it does in shrinking the status bar icons, clock, battery, etc

Kevin Demers

May 25, 2013
Visit site

As a heads up, This absolutely DID break Android Pay/SafetyNet on my Verizon S7 Edge. It was a ***** to track down.

So for me, in summary, this breaks Android Pay in the same way that the adb DPI modification method does.

crazed_z06

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

As a heads up, This absolutely DID break Android Pay/SafetyNet on my Verizon S7 Edge. It was a ***** to track down.

So for me, in summary, this breaks Android Pay in the same way that the adb DPI modification method does.

"Break" Android Pay? How so?
Seems to be working fine for me after the change..

EDIT: Actually Im using Samsung Pay.. nevermind.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I don't use Android Pay or Samsung Pay so neither one is a loss to me if this breaks it.

Anyways, I did this to my Edge last week and love it. The screen resolution looks the same as my Note 5 now.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I don't use Android Pay or Samsung Pay so neither one is a loss to me if this breaks it.

Anyways, I did this to my Edge last week and love it. The screen resolution looks the same as my Note 5 now.

I have been using Samsung Pay even after making this change -- no break here :).

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site

to be clear, samsung pay works (there is some saying the initial setup screen gets broken with the scaling change) and android pay will (i am fairly certain) work, but will not be able to add a card (if this is the case, you can go back to the original setting add the card and then go back to the condensed setting)

the issue is that it seems like even though this is an user adjustable option, it is achieving the same thing the adb command does, which is changing the DPI density from whatever is the factory default (and i'm guessing referenced in the build.prop) which when android pay does its check for system integrity, it comes up with a conflict and fails.

the samsung pay issue i think deals with the scaling issue of the onboarding process (i think the video part of it gets messed up and you can't move forward) but has no issue working if you're past that part of the process. (it doesn't seem to do the same kind of system check that android pay does.

can someone who has only done the condensed option (not the adb command) try to add a card in android pay and see if that's possible?

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

The UK still doesn't have any contactless bar card and apple pay. Highly annoying!

I tried the different scaling and it's nice. Ended up reverting back though.

Blacklance

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site

Does this do anything to improve quality? Cause I'm old and if all it does is make things smaller then its just going to make me squint more!

Also, does removing the app automatically change DPI back to default?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

What part of Samsung Pay isn't working? I haven't tried it in a store since changing the DPI. but I can see the bar at the bottom of the home screen and can swipe up to open Samsung Pay.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

What part of Samsung Pay isn't working? I haven't tried it in a store since changing the DPI. but I can see the bar at the bottom of the home screen and can swipe up to open Samsung Pay.

It works -- I wouldn't worry about it. I did the change the second I learned about it and have used Samsung Pay without issue when out.