Change DPI scaling to condensed (or modify DPI to anything you want)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
S7 Edge - Easy Tweak For More Screen Space

I found this while browsing around today ... I would suggest following the steps below as you get a lot more screen real estate for your apps, your notification bar, and it also makes the icons at the top smaller. Changing it to "Condensed" helped me get a good amount of space within apps and everything. I am LOVING it.

It does say to use Nova to get to the setting (which you need to do) but after the reboot (when selecting Condensed) you can change back to your original launcher.

• Download Nova Launcher from the Play Store
  • Long-press an empty space in the homescreen and find the Widgets section
  • Choose the “Activities” widget and place it on any homescreen page
  • Find “Settings” and then pick .DisplayScalingActivity
  • Once the new widget shortcut appears, tap on it
  • Choose between Standard and Condensed
  • Enjoy more overall space around the OS, including those oversized statusbar icons that take up half the status bar

Below is a pic of my notification space .. I get more! :).

Attachments

• 1458332863890.jpg
    1458332863890.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 201

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: S7 Edge - Easy Tweak For More Screen Space

I saw this on PhoneArena this morning too!! The best hidden feature ever! Before this, when I shrank my display font down to "Tiny", it still didn't condense everything like this does. Now I feel like I'm taking much more advantage of the screen real estate than before!

Great phone just made greater.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I saw this on PhoneArena this morning too!! The best hidden feature ever! Before this, when I shrank my display font down to "Tiny", it still didn't condense everything like this does. Now I feel like I'm taking much more advantage of the screen real estate than before!

Great phone just made greater.

I agree sir! :D.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

Great tip, thanks for sharing! The scaling had been bothering me and this helps allowing you to see much more information on the screen.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Yep saw this on Reddit yesterday and applied. Enjoying the additional real estate!!!

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Change DPI scaling to condensed

Wow! It looks great! Everything is so tiny! That's what she said. Beat you to it.

Posted via the Android Central App

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

I don't have the activities widget, can't get any of this to work. My guess is this won't work on all S7 models

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

I don't have the activities widget, can't get any of this to work. My guess is this won't work on all S7 models

You need to do it from Nova Launcher. After it's done, you can switch back to TouchWiz and uninstall Nova if you want to. The setting will stick.

atomicpower

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
How to easily change screen dpi to match note5, no root (thanks Jeff and Daniel!)

Jeff Springer posted a tutorial about changing dpi settings for s7 and s7 edge. Credit needs to be given to Daniel from XDA for finding this too. It was really easy. I already use Nova Launcher so this took 2 minutes. Check out the vid if you think everything looks too big on your phone.
https://youtu.be/JZFy391_avs
I hope that's the link. If not, just search Jeff Springer on youtube. It should be a more recent vid cuz i just saw it on G+.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

This is just a setting change. Samsung just hid the option

sfldg

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site

you might have to clear cache / temp files after, i did it and it caused lag every now and then

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

This is what I have always wanted from Android phones. The option to switch to a smaller display density so that more stuff can be displayed on-screen.

I have always disliked the stock display density or DPI setting. It's just too big. A point proven when I used the LG G4 at stock DPI. It's really uncomfortable to use after you're used to a phone with a smaller DPI like a Note 5 or a Nexus 6P running the N Preview at a smaller DPI set in the settings menu.

This is a breath of fresh air, and Samsung gets even more respect from me by having this setting, even though it's hidden. It's LG's turn now, along with countless others.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae