Galaxy S7 screen dimming?

A

AC Question

I have a brand new s7. I love it except I hate the keyboard (auto correct/replace)

And my biggest issue...

The screen keeps going dim off and on...I have the brightness turned the whole way up with the auto adjust shut off...but when I'm in a text screen that has alot of white I notice it will dim off and on. I haven't noticed it when watching shows. But it's really annoying when texting or anything of that nature.

Has anyone else had this problem? I reallyou dont want to have to send the phone back but it's looking that way....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy s7 screen dimming???

Welcome to Android Central! Are any power saving modes turned on? And you don't have Smart Stay on, do you?

rickgurri

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Me too! I had the problem of dimming with the s6 and it drove me nuts. Now the s7 same thing. And I have noticed it happens always while texting. I tried using Verizon texting and its the same issue.

rickgurri

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Are any power saving modes turned on? And you don't have Smart Stay on, do you?

I had mine on and now the problem seems to have gone away. I hope it lasts. How did you know this and why would it affect the dimming?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Which did you have on? Power Saving or Smart Stay? I remember this because I've seen it mentioned a few times on this forum (you may have noticed that I'm on here a lot--I may have a problem;)). Power Saving might affect the duration the lockscreen is visible because it's trying to minimize power usage, so dimming and then shutting the screen off sooner would make sense. And Smart Stay is supposed to detect when you're looking at the screen or not, so if you look away, it will detect that and shut the screen off.

rickgurri

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Which did you have on? Power Saving or Smart Stay? I remember this because I've seen it mentioned a few times on this forum (you may have noticed that I'm on here a lot--I may have a problem;)). Power Saving might affect the duration the lockscreen is visible because it's trying to minimize power usage, so dimming and then shutting the screen off sooner would make sense. And Smart Stay is supposed to detect when you're looking at the screen or not, so if you look away, it will detect that and shut the screen off.

I never have power saving on and I keep it to max brightness.....and uncheck automatic. Every phone or device in the world stays at the setting you want except the damn s6 and s7. Why?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Ok, and Smart Stay is off, right? Do you have any 3rd party power/battery saver apps installed? Or screen dimming apps like Lux?

rickgurri

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Ok, and Smart Stay is off, right? Do you have any 3rd party power/battery saver apps installed? Or screen dimming apps like Lux?

Yes off. I have tried 3rd party and they havent helped either. You think Lux would be any different?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I was asking about screen dimming apps not to try to solve the problem, but rather to see if a screen dimming app might be causing the problem.

Sorry, but I'm not sure what else to try next. Hopefully others will have more ideas!

rickgurri

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

I was asking about screen dimming apps not to try to solve the problem, but rather to see if a screen dimming app might be causing the problem.

Sorry, but I'm not sure what else to try next. Hopefully others will have more ideas!

Oh ok. No I dont have any.

anyrealexperts

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site

Does anyone actually know what this feature is, and how to disable it? I think we can all blindly press buttons, but anyone with actual insight would be greatly appreciated.

DutchOwl

Jun 12, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone actually know what this feature is, and how to disable it? I think we can all blindly press buttons, but anyone with actual insight would be greatly appreciated.

Its the screen mode. Go to Settings > Display> Screen Mode change it from the adapting setting to the AMOLED Cinema

Last edited by a moderator:

FeistyVixen85

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site

I have had my galaxy s7 since March 1st day it came out and I have been playing the same apps for over a month then all the sudden as of yesterday only when I'm playing a game if I don't touch the screen every 10 seconds it will start dimming and getting darker and darker. I tried your suggestion and didn't work. I don't understand nothing changed or updated between yesterday and the day before.
Someone please help

beltedearl

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site

I am having the same exact issue as FeistyVixen85. When it starts to get darker and darker, I have even tried to stop it by opening the pull down menu and manually slide the brightness slider but it just keeps going darker. The only thing I have found so far that stops it from happening is when I check the Auto box.

Iliyria

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site

I am having the same exact issue as FeistyVixen85. When it starts to get darker and darker, I have even tried to stop it by opening the pull down menu and manually slide the brightness slider but it just keeps going darker. The only thing I have found so far that stops it from happening is when I check the Auto box.

I would also like to add that this issue started happening to me as well today.

As the previous two notes have indicated, selecting auto does stop the screen from auto dimming but there is something it does not stop and that is the system performance. When the screen begins to auto-dim after around 7 seconds, i saw a significant system performance hit, like the kind where you go from 'High Performance' settings on a laptop to 'Power Saver mode. Touching the screen or pressing any button brings it back to normal. Note I don't have any power saver options on either.

I also noticed it does not occur when in system apps (Settings menu for ex.) or in browsers like Chrome.

It happens to me outside of games as well. I have seen this happen when viewing my app list, though I do use Lightning Launcher as a UI modifier. Seems like all third-party apps exhibit the issue to me.

DaSmitz

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
I would also like to add that this issue started happening to me as well today.

As the previous two notes have indicated, selecting auto does stop the screen from auto dimming but there is something it does not stop and that is the system performance. When the screen begins to auto-dim after around 7 seconds, i saw a significant system performance hit, like the kind where you go from 'High Performance' settings on a laptop to 'Power Saver mode. Touching the screen or pressing any button brings it back to normal. Note I don't have any power saver options on either.

I also noticed it does not occur when in system apps (Settings menu for ex.) or in browsers like Chrome.

It happens to me outside of games as well. I have seen this happen when viewing my app list, though I do use Lightning Launcher as a UI modifier. Seems like all third-party apps exhibit the issue to me.

Happened to me as well do you have a speed booster running? Turns out DU speed booster was my problem I removed it & problem was fixed

Last edited by a moderator:

Iliyria

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site

I'm not aware of any that I've enabled or downloaded. I checked for "DU Speed Booster" but could not find that as an app installed on my device. I also did a quick google search of "Android Speed Boosters" and compared some of those to my existing system apps but could not find any on my phone.

I agree though that something is modulating the performance of my phone when on some apps and not others, but I just can't find what that would be. I ensured that the Gaming Tools / Gaming Launcher settings are off as well as made sure the built in power saver options are off. I even updated my phone this morning after ignoring the "An update is available for your phone" message for weeks, but that didn't seem to resolve the issue.

Is there some other list of performance modulating apps that could have come with the phone itself, or the bloatware that T-Mobile may have put on the device, and somehow it was activated by itself today?

*Side note, i uninstalled my UI Modifier 'Lightning Launcher' and the phone still exhibited the same performance modulation*

Wbrada

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site

I'm not aware of any that I've enabled or downloaded. I checked for "DU Speed Booster" but could not find that as an app installed on my device. I also did a quick google search of "Android Speed Boosters" and compared some of those to my existing system apps but could not find any on my phone.

I agree though that something is modulating the performance of my phone when on some apps and not others, but I just can't find what that would be. I ensured that the Gaming Tools / Gaming Launcher settings are off as well as made sure the built in power saver options are off. I even updated my phone this morning after ignoring the "An update is available for your phone" message for weeks, but that didn't seem to resolve the issue.

Is there some other list of performance modulating apps that could have come with the phone itself, or the bloatware that T-Mobile may have put on the device, and somehow it was activated by itself today?

*Side note, i uninstalled my UI Modifier 'Lightning Launcher' and the phone still exhibited the same performance modulation*

I'm having the same problem and I have cspire so it's not a t-mobile problem.

Iliyria

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site

Factory reset did not resolve the issue either. Seems related to gaming applications, or apps that are somehow being classified as games. For instance, any game I use exhibits the screen dimming/performance downgrade issue after about 7 seconds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21