I have a question that is a bit complicated but I will try to explain it clearly. I appreciate you sticking with me and giving any feedback you have.

I currently have a Verizon Family Plan with 2 smart devices active on it. My wife had to get a new phone recently so we are paying that off by the month. I am using an old phone that is paid for an off contract on the plan. I am looking to get a new phone now.

Staples has the S7 with a $400 rebate on a new line. Here is my question. Can I get the new S7 by adding a line to my current Family Plan? Further, can I then swap my current phone with the new phone to get my number on the S7 then cancel the line I am currently using (which is not on a contract) and have the S7 with my current phone number on it? Basically, I want the new phone on my current number and when all the swaps are done I don't want to be paying for 3 lines. Hopefully that makes sense.

Apparently you can swap devices within a Family Plan but I am unsure if they have anything in place to prevent the workaround I am proposing. There is a video on how to do it on Verizons site but I can't post a link because I don't have 10 posts yet.

Anyone have any input here? This seems too easy so I am assuming I am missing something.
    03-20-2016 04:57 PM
    I believe that what you're asking should not be a problem, I've done it before, ( bought a new phone and switched numbers ) and then the old phone that is not on contract can be eliminated from your plan.
    But to be 100% just go to a Verizon store or call and ask before you pull the trigger, but all in all it shouldn't be a problem.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-21-2016 12:22 AM
    So you want to buy a new phone...transfer the new phone to current number and current phone to new number and then cancel new number...by doing this you would get new phone at promo price without having to pay for a 3rd line...I'm pretty sure you can't do that...the promo prices are generally line dependant and not phone dependant...I think you must have the new line active 3 months before you cancel it in order to keep the promo price...also be aware that if you go from a current edge plan to one of the new xl plans the smartphone deduction goes from 25 bucks a month to 15 or 20...of course I could be wrong...make sure to post your results...
    03-21-2016 01:05 AM
    This might help. I had an s4 that was replaced through insurance and activated it, bought the s7 added a third line. Switched old s4 # to s7,activated old s4 under new (s7) line then transfered contents and disconnected the line not under contract.s4 was on plan but not contract.had no problems and my bill dropped 20.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-21-2016 10:06 AM
    You should be ok so long as you keep the line which you got from Staples for 6 months
    03-21-2016 10:40 AM
    Thanks for the replies so far. I am trying to find the time to make it to Staples to get the phone. Worst case I get it and am stuck with a new number. I have heard of people porting their current number to Google Voice and then forwarding it to the new number. It wouldn't be that big of a deal either way.

On a related note, I did make it to a local Staples and attempted to buy the phone. The experience was horrible. They hadn't sold a phone in over 6 months and nobody knew how to log into the Verizon system. They finally figured it out, then nobody including the store manager knew how to navigate the system. He spent about 15 minutes clicking around before I completely lost confidence and just walked out. I have 2 other Staples stores to contact now but they are 45 minutes and 1 hour away, respectively. FYI, apparently not a single Staples actually stocks any phones either so you have to walk in and order it only to return 3 days later when it arrives to pick it up and get it activated. This might end up being more of a pain than it's worth...
    03-23-2016 05:22 PM