$700 for a phone, and LESS functionality for astrophotography? Also, shutter speed question

CRSandler

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic phone. But I mainly upgraded so I could get RAW photo capture and long exposure times, and with Camera FV-5, the maximum exposure time is DOWN to only 1/8" from 30 seconds with the S5 running Lollipop 5! So that means the S7 is not useful for astrophotography. Even the stock Camera in Pro mode will shoot 10 seconds - still less than the 30 I was getting with the S5.

Anyone know of a good way to plead with Google to get our long exposure times back under Marshmallow?

CRSandler

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Shutter Speed with Third Party Camera apps

I'd like to shoot long exposures (15 or 30 seconds) with apps like Camera FV-5, but it looks like the longest you can open the shutter with an app under Marshmallow is 1/8 of a second. It was 30 seconds with Camera FV-5 and my Lollipop S5! Anybody else concerned that the shutter speed is too fast to do good astrophotography and other long exposures? Does Google listen if you ask them to change things? Thanks all!

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You need to plead with Samsung, not Google. Google creates the basic OS which can be found only (pretty much, anyway) on Nexus devices. All the other manufacturers adapt and/or skin the base OS to their own liking and then the carriers often add their own skin and/or custom apps on top of that.

And why did you "upgrade" to a phone without first checking to ensure that specs which are important to you will be met by the new device?

Alleyviper13

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
sounds like you need to buy a real expensive camera,

Its a phone with a camera.........If you want the best top notch quality photos in different lights or filters or shades then buy an expensive CAM and switch phones. This camera is great for daily use. You sound like you need it for professional style stuff...............ITS A PHONE.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
The phone is awesome. People come here with these minor gripes to get attention from us who love the phone

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Mod Note, I clarified the title to include astrophotography, since the number of people who use smartphones for this on a serious level is very very small.

snikt228

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Astrophotography? Come on, it's a smartphone with a tiny sensor. You should get a real camera with at least an aps-c sensor and fast lens.

Astrophotography is very demanding on camera gear to get good results, can't cheat the laws of physics

CRSandler

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
No, no - I've loved all my Galaxies from the S3 through this ... it IS awesome. But I can't fathom why something that actually a lot of people are doing nowadays - smartphone astrophotography - is NOT possible on the S7 when it WAS possible on the S5. The S5 allowed 30 sec. exposures with Camera FV-5.

CRSandler

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, but it was going well with the S5, is my thing. I don't want fantastic results - it's the feature REDUCTION that's driving me bonkers.

CRSandler

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
True enough - and thanks for your guidance - it's because the S5 was doing great, and I love Galaxies, and the S7 supports RAW image capture where the S5 didn't. But while they gave us RAW image capture with the S7, they took away the long exposure times!

CRSandler

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
You need to plead with Samsung, not Google. Google creates the basic OS which can be found only (pretty much, anyway) on Nexus devices. All the other manufacturers adapt and/or skin the base OS to their own liking and then the carriers often add their own skin and/or custom apps on top of that.

And why did you "upgrade" to a phone without first checking to ensure that specs which are important to you will be met by the new device?

CRSandler

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Since we're here....can you post up some of your astrophotography shots from your previous phone? I'd like to see how a smartphone handles this

CRSandler

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
No, but watch this space, because I was just starting down the road.... I bought the Orion steadypix Pro smartphone adapter, cuz you really can do astrophotography with a smartphone nowadays. When I found out the S7 captured raw images and the S5 didn't, I pre-ordered the S7 because I knew I'd get one eventually anyway. Since finding out the S7 has such a lamentable shutter speed limitation, I setup my s5 with Wi-Fi because of course it's still perfectly usable as a camera, and works with Camera FV5 for long exposure low light work, unlike the S7 alas. So I finally I'm ready to move beyond the very few first cruddy shots I took initially with the S5... Now I just need a few clear nights! Check back!

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 6, 2013
Visit site
What you're talking about is such a niche feature that the mainstream doesn't care, and the mainstream is who buys phones. What matters to the public is having the best point & shoot, auto-everything, looks great in any lighting condition, and makes my selfie look like Annie freakin' Leibovitz took it. Those are the goals that Samsung and Apple strive for and for the most part achieve. Both companies add and remove features constantly to hone their devices to bring their customers the perfect nirvana, so don't be surprised that a feature is available on one model and received little to no feed back, then disappears on the next iteration ...

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Didn't I say that? :)

bable

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
It's not a phone guys... It's a phone, camera, map, calendar, compass, MP3 player, browsing device, paperweight, nut cracker, and more. It's a device that touted its camera and this person assumed they would improve things instead of cripple them. Granted I did my research and chose not to buy one because there are too many compromises for me, but this person is just frustrated that they didn't do their own research and was hoping there might be a work around available through our independent community.

Sorry buddy, I don't know of one and developers probably can't make one soon since Samsung blessed the s7s with a locked boot loader :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude