Antenna quality on newest phones?

semerton

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S7 after being very happy with my S5 for 2 years. After much research I discovered the reason my new phone is not getting all of my texts is because now at least 3G is required for messages plus. The actual problem is I can't get all of my texts while I'm at work due to the location being a "dead spot". Ocassionally my phone will pick up 3G, But I'm still missing some texts. I'm still within the 15 day of returning my phone. It appears (also from what others have said on forums) that the S7 antenna is not as good. So, what android phone is better?

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised by this, my S7's signal strength blows away my LG G3 and my Note 2 that I had before this.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S7 after being very happy with my S5 for 2 years. After much research I discovered the reason my new phone is not getting all of my texts is because now at least 3G is required for messages plus. The actual problem is I can't get all of my texts while I'm at work due to the location being a "dead spot". Ocassionally my phone will pick up 3G, But I'm still missing some texts. I'm still within the 15 day of returning my phone. It appears (also from what others have said on forums) that the S7 antenna is not as good. So, what android phone is better?

Wouldn't this be a network issue?

Posted via the Android Central App

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I can say that my S7 isn't terrible but it gets about 1 bar less signal strength in my home compared to my old M8.

Make it so.

semerton

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Help me understand if that's the case. I have the same carrier, Verizon and the same work location, but new phone is not always picking up 3G. My S5 usually only had a problem when the weather was rainy. Unfortunately the quaint New England town I work in won't allow a tower in the center of town to help with cell coverage.

semerton

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Thank you , that helps me to at least think maybe I'm right. Wondering if anyone knows first hand of new phones that do better with signal strength then the Galaxy S7.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I can guarantee my old htc m7 had much better reception than my S6 and the S6 and S7 have the same crappy antenna

dreaming of electric sheep

semerton

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the validation! Any idea how to help with this? Do I really need to give up my S7? It's just not ok that I can't get texts while at work. Anyone tried the apps for boosting signals? I intend to download one or two when on home wifi and see if that helps tomorrow at work.
ETA: Would switching to the Samsung messaging text app help? I tried it yesterday and didn't think it did but am willing to try again.

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed the same thing with my S7 compared to my S5 Active. Wondering if I should exchange it and try another one...

rhoden

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
So far my phone reception has been terrible and I think I'm going to have to return it for something else. Granted, my house has always been a near dead zone, but it seems worse with this phone. I can hear other people better than before but it seems they hear me worse. I've already had two people hang up on me twice this week and I've rarely had that happen before.

semerton

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Update: Went to Verizon today. Turns out my sim card was faulty. They replaced it and my 4G is now strong. Still a little disappointed in my cell reception at home, but always have been on my S5 as well. I am however receiving all texts without delay and without needing my data on. I'm going to keep it and hopefully find I love it as much as my S5 (which I gave my 17 year old daughter, though if I change my mind she did say she'd trade with me!).