Can LTE be turned off to use S7 successfully with verizon network extender?

curby311

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I am wondering if anyone has been able to use their S7 successfully with a verizon 3G samsung network extender. I've had issues with multiple HTC phones keeping a connection with our extender. There isn't issues with the extender as that has been confirmed since it works well with 2 different iphones. The iphone has a setting that lets you turn LTE off and then the phone quits searching for a very poor 4G/LTE signal and instead defaults to the 3G from the network extender which lets you keep the call connected. It is more of an issue with my HTC in that you couldn't turn LTE off on the verizon phone. I really would like to get an S7 over an iphone but it is dependent on being able to turn LTE off when I am at home. I am wondering if Wi-FI calling may be a solution to having a poor cell reception at home. I would appreciate any input from those that have tried out Wi-FI calling or are using an extender.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
WFC is a great little tool and provided you have a decent enough network connection at your house, it works really well. As for battery savings, your phone will still hold the mobile network up for standby and handoff, so it doesn't totally turn it off.... it'll use less battery since it will power down the LTE data connection and just keep the main carrier signal up, but it's better than not.

I had some other ambassadors check and while the S7 does have the ability to toggle off LTE, Verizon appears to have removed that from their edition. Why? dunno.... it's not a setting you just stumble upon and accidentally change.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
WFC is a great little tool and provided you have a decent enough network connection at your house, it works really well. As for battery savings, your phone will still hold the mobile network up for standby and handoff, so it doesn't totally turn it off.... it'll use less battery since it will power down the LTE data connection and just keep the main carrier signal up, but it's better than not.

I had some other ambassadors check and while the S7 does have the ability to toggle off LTE, Verizon appears to have removed that from their edition. Why? dunno.... it's not a setting you just stumble upon and accidentally change.
You can turn force CDMA on the Verizon S7. I posted a thread about it which is linked to in the sticky FAQ.

curby311

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Thank you both....I'm thinking I'll pick one up this evening and give it a try. Between the WIF and forcing the CDMA it sounds like it should work.

jsieplinga

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I have the VZW network extender and my S7 Edge works just fine with it. I haven't toggled off the LTE at all and it connects pretty reliably. I have also tried the WiFi calling and it seems to work just as well. I'm pretty stoked to have a choice of options in my reception black hole!

curby311

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I'm glad that some of you were able to connect, that is good so it must just be me. What network mode do you have it on in order for it to connect? On my other phone it showed 3G and a house at the top of the screen and did a beep prior to connecting the call, do you have something similar occurring? I'm loving the S7 but I'm struggling still to get any reception at my house. I was having the WI-FI connectivity issues too which wasn't helping matters of testing out the WI-FI calling. That seemed to get better once I turned bluetooth off and restarted the router (it has been set to IPv4 instead of 6). I guess that I can go the route of trying out an app that turns it off I was just wanting to do that as a last resort since I don't want to accidentally screw it up so that I can't get a signal at all.

Last edited: