Battery drainage during the first few minutes off of charger.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Within the first 5-10 minutes, coming off of an overnight full charge (wireless charger), I will see the charge drop within a couple of minutes to 99, then down to about 96 within less than 10 minutes, if the screen is on much of the time. By the time the first 15 minutes goes by, I'm under 95%. Even if the phone was in airplane mode at night, hence no boot required, once it comes off the charger, it will be under 97% in about 6-8 minutes. Is that what your S7's do in the first few minutes? I am considering buying a portable battery back, perhaps a cheap Jackery bar. With the screen OFF, I can go for quite a few hours, running pandora with the main speaker running at max volume without battery depletion issues, but with the screen ON 50% brightness, it drops quick enough to worry me.

yunique

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I always leave my screen on auto and I've never experienced the battery drain you are talking about unless I'm watching YouTube or something as soon as I take it off the charger. Even with always on display it drains very slowly. There must be something going on in the background or maybe low cell coverage?

Posted via the Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Depending upon screen brightness, use of power saving mode, and apps running. I just took mine off the charger and still 100% after a couple of minutes.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The number one and two items on the battery stats is screen and Android System. Everything else is small potatoes, each time I've checked throughout the day. I got the phone four days ago. It doesn't seem bad overall, but the initial battery drop has me concerned.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Mine has only done that to me once and I think that was because it decided to auto update 10 apps at the same time. It was a nice reminder to turn off auto updates. Something I always seem to forget to do with a new device. Haven't had a problem since.

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I've only had mine for one full day . But it does that same thing . I've noticed sometimes it will drop a couple percent pretty fast and then stay on a percent for a long time. I wouldn't worry about it. I think the battery will settle in after a weak and half or two. I fly rc helicopters and planes and use all sorts of different batteries and they act a little weird when brand new or after the first couple charges. . After about 8 charge and discharge cycles they settle and begin to perform there best. I say give the battery a couple weeks or 10 charge and discharge cycles and will be good.

This is just my experience with batteries over the years.

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Noticed the same thing. Maybe it's the fact that while on the charger it looses charge and recharges during the night. And if you take it off the charger right before it's full, it may drop faster.... My 2 cents

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Today is a new day and I am still seeing the battery drop a few percent in less than 15 minutes, after removing the phone from the stand up Sammy wireless charger.

Last evening I had charged the phone using the flat, non-fast-charge version of a Samsung wireless mat, and the phone stayed at 100% for over a half hour after removal from that charger. It was more than an hour before it hit 98%. Now THAT'S what I like! :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The "charge" indicator is actually a "voltage at the battery terminals" indicator. (If anyone has a better idea, get a penny royalty for each phone and you'll be VERY wealthy.)

In order to charge the battery, the charger voltage has to be higher than the battery voltage. So if you remove the phone from the charger the instant it reaches "100%", it's not. The combined battery and charger voltage is "100%", but the battery is probably somewhere around 95% - and it's going to show that as it runs. (The "let the battery settle in for a few charge cycles" argument is valid too. A new, stored-for-a-few-months battery won't be performing at full power for a few cycles.)

Always charge the battery before first use. (If it's internal, have them set the phone up with the charger plugged in.) Give the battery a few "shut the phone off" to "the battery is full" cycles before evaluating it. And check your wireless signal (in the battery stats). If that's weak, it's draining your battery.

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Today is a new day and I am still seeing the battery drop a few percent in less than 15 minutes, after removing the phone from the stand up Sammy wireless charger.

Last evening I had charged the phone using the flat, non-fast-charge version of a Samsung wireless mat, and the phone stayed at 100% for over a half hour after removal from that charger. It was more than an hour before it hit 98%. Now THAT'S what I like! :)
Today is my second day with phone and last night I used the Samsung wireless charger that they sold for the s6. Non fast charger and I have been using my phone since off the charger to read these forums for 45 minutes now and it's only down to 97% . Yesterday I used the charger that came with the phone and when I pulled it off charger it dropped to 96 % within 15 minutes like op described.

Any way just my observation using different chargers.

Last edited:

TrajDroid

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Mine drains fast after being on the wireless charger all night. But if I boost to 100 again it holds the charge and last longer even with constant use. Something with that first use in morning. It needs a little pick me up then works fine. I wonder why.

Trajikdroid

Feb 6, 2018
Visit site
I don't know if this is related but for about two weeks now my S7 will drop almost 50% battery with barely any use in a couple hours. When I check what's draining it's always something different even apps I don't use or even logged into....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if this is related but for about two weeks now my S7 will drop almost 50% battery with barely any use in a couple hours. When I check what's draining it's always something different even apps I don't use or even logged into....

It'd help to see some battery stats. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html
You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae