S7 alarm and timer issue - goes off, no sound

tucker973

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Hey, so this morning I woke up nice and rested with the sun shining a bit too brightly - and realized I missed my alarm! I never sleep through alarms. So I tested it and set a timer, than another alarm - both went off without sound. I changed none of the settings, didn't mess with anything. I rebooted the phone and tested again, and everything seemed OK... but that is very, very troubling. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Are you using Do Not Disturb by chance? If you are, there are actually settings there that let DND silence everything ... even alarms.

My other thought was that you accidentally set the volume to 0 in the "options" area of the settings when you were creating the alarm ... it'd be a two-step process, but it can be done.

I haven't had such issues on either my Verizon or T-Mobile model — alarms ring just fine on default settings here.

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Mine did the exact same thing this morning, the only thing that changed was the security update last night.

tucker973

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Are you using Do Not Disturb by chance? If you are, there are actually settings there that let DND silence everything ... even alarms.

My other thought was that you accidentally set the volume to 0 in the "options" area of the settings when you were creating the alarm ... it'd be a two-step process, but it can be done.

Didn't change to DND or volume zero - those were the first things I checked just to see if I hit it by accident. I didn't, and the restart fixed the issue. It worked fine today, but I'm super paranoid now...

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Didn't change to DND or volume zero - those were the first things I checked just to see if I hit it by accident. I didn't, and the restart fixed the issue. It worked fine today, but I'm super paranoid now...
I'm going to be setting a backup alarm for a few days, in case the problem reappears.

eldorado89

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I've experienced the exact same thing.

I've also noticed that during the day when I use my headphones sometimes I just don't get any more sound out of them until I restart the entire device.

Maybe it has something to do with scenes that trigger ? I do use those.

drennen42

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm having this same issue right now. I set 3 alarms, 6:00, 6:20, and 6:40 to go off every weekday. The past 2 days none of them have worked. I do not have DND on, and all volumes are maxed (ringtone, media, notifications, and system). This morning I opened the clock app, went to alarms, opened each of them and tried changing the alarm tone. Usually when tapping on a tone in the list it plays the sound, this morning it did not. Then I went to youTube to test the media sound. I received an error for each video I opened because the sound wasn't working. I was still receiving haptic feedback and sounds when typing, so the system sounds were still working, just not the media. I restarted the phone and it worked again, so I went back into the alarms and tried playing the tones again and it broke all media sounds again. Could it be an issue with the clock app or more specifically, the alarms?? Either way, this needs to be fixed ASAP!

kelela92

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Oh that's worrisome. I know with mine, for whatever reason, when I have it on DND, the first alarm goes off as it should. The second and third just beep (not the tone I have it set on).

Strange things going on with these phones.

Polocoste

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi all, just wondering if there is supposed to be a 'repeat weekly' option when setting alarms on the S7? I see that I can choose the days of the week that I want the alarm to go off, but Imsee no option to tell the phone to do the same thing every week...am I missing something?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey, so this morning I woke up nice and rested with the sun shining a bit too brightly - and realized I missed my alarm!?

What alarm app are you using? By chance, is it a third party app?

Many third party apps do not properly register alarms with the system... So when Doze fires, it's sleepy time for that app (and those alarms).

Do you have a little alarm icon in your status bar, by your signal icon? If you don't... The alarm's toast.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with alarms and dnd. I have multiple alarms a day and they all go off ok. Got my phone before release date.

FallenAngel1978

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same issues but i'm also finding calls are not ringing occasionally. It worked fine this morning, all three alarms went off, calls sounded, everything fine. Then my midday alarm failed, had two missed calls that didn't ring and when i try to play music it does nothing for about 10 seconds then fades in rather than start immediately as it normally would. It's not a slydial app, dnd, muted etc. Using stock apps for alarm etc and tones are those that came with it. Partner has an identical phone, bought at the same time, same updates etc yet has no issue! Model No: SM-G935F Going to try a factory reset, if that doesn't work then it's back to the shop for a replacement.

tucker973

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Just an update - I feel better knowing I wasn't alone in having this issue. (Again, all stock, no custom sounds/apps, sound on, DND off, etc) That said, I thankfully haven't experienced it ever again since the first time it made me late for work. I wonder if it was a fix slipped in with the WiFi fix Verizon pushed?