05-19-2016 01:44 PM
29 12
tools
    Simply put, can anyone with coding/software development insight offer some sort of explanation as to why Touchwiz on new Samsung phones like the S7 and S7 Edge drops frames/stutters/lags? These phones have the latest in high-powered SOCs and GPUs, as well as years of time under development by a major company with vast resources, which is why I am curious as to why these phones still have occasional software slowdowns practically out-of-the-box.
    03-22-2016 09:58 PM
    Tons of bloat and poor optimization.
    03-22-2016 10:23 PM
    I've heard that before and I just don't get it. TouchWiz, and Android in general, are both well beyond the infancy stage, so one would think that they would be well optimized by now.
    03-22-2016 10:30 PM
    I've heard that before and I just don't get it. TouchWiz, and Android in general, are both well beyond the infancy stage, so one would think that they would be well optimized by now.
    Android is very optimized ever since the project butter, in its pure version that is. Touchwiz on the other hand, while has gotten vastly better from years before, still lags here and there but nothing major
    barondebxl likes this.
    03-22-2016 10:43 PM
    I wonder why it still lags though. Like, from a coding standpoint.
    03-22-2016 10:51 PM
    Can't explain why, but I will say that I've not seen any lagging with Nova.
    03-23-2016 12:21 AM
    Doesn't lag on my s7 or s7 edge. Touchwiz gets bad press for no reason these days.

Posted via the Android Central App on a kicking Gold Samsung Galaxy S7
    03-23-2016 02:39 AM
    For the most part my GS7 runs smoothly, but no matter what it doesn't match the level of smoothness of stock Android for things like scrolling and animations.
    03-23-2016 05:18 AM
    My beef with samsung is the amount of unremovable bloat that runs in the background and ears at battery life. I can live with lag but cant with crappy battery life
    03-23-2016 05:23 AM
    My beef with samsung is the amount of unremovable bloat that runs in the background and ears at battery life. I can live with lag but cant with crappy battery life
    You can use package disabler from the play store to disable most apps
    03-23-2016 06:56 AM
    As someone who has owned the Nexus 5X, the Nexus 6P, and the S7, the S7 is the fastest and least laggy.

For me, TouchWiz isn't laggy. This goes for my S7 and the Galaxy Tab S2 that I own. The S7 is the least laggy phone I've used.
    03-23-2016 09:39 AM
    Most of the time my S7 is smooth and quick, but it still stutters when scrolling quickly through settings or the Google Play Store.

The GPU rendering profile in Developer Settings shows how many frames are dropped during use, especially when scrolling.
    03-23-2016 11:05 AM
    No lag here yet...but I came from a LG G3 which was a nightmare compared in so many ways.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-23-2016 11:28 AM
    Considering a 7, so this scares me regarding lag. I'm on 6p now and it just doesn't stutter, ever.

03-23-2016 12:15 PM
    Considering a 7, so this scares me regarding lag. I'm on 6p now and it just doesn't stutter, ever.

Don't get me wrong, I've been incredibly happy with my GS7 and the stutters are few and far between.
    03-23-2016 12:26 PM
    no lag whatsoever for me, touchwiz "lag" is way over blown by nexus fanboys who try to convert everyone else to nexus phones

mayconvert and chanchan05 like this.
    03-23-2016 12:42 PM
    My TW doesn't lag...

03-23-2016 12:42 PM
    The most prominant lag is occasional stuttering when scrolling on web pages, settings pages, Google Play Store, etc.
    03-23-2016 01:10 PM
    The most prominant lag is occasional stuttering when scrolling on web pages, settings pages, Google Play Store, etc.
    I don't know what you are seeing but I read your post, switched to the Google Play store, and just flew through a huge list of apps with no lag at all.
    yunique likes this.
    03-23-2016 06:58 PM
    As I said, stutters are few and far between. For the most part, my phone runs perfectly smooth. I was just wondering why, even at its best, Touchwiz is not as smooth as the latest version of stock Android.
    03-23-2016 07:13 PM
    My touchwiz doesnt lad on the s7 or my note5 w 6.0.1

The only time i experience issues is when an added app lags a little bit, and that certainly isnt the phones fault.

I agree touchwiz gets a bad rap still for problems that have been fixed.

Not a coder, so my opinion is prob next to useless, but my opinion is that there will always be a bit of "lag" in any man made device. Not everytime, but the possibility is there.
    Ive seen stock android hiccup slightly, and people worry about it. Samsung is smart to keep touchwiz in my opinion, because it sets them apart, and they have vastly improved it.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!
    yunique likes this.
    03-23-2016 09:23 PM
    I'm genuinely curious why someone would replace a 6P with a carrier phone. What's driving this interest? The camera? The 820 Snapdragon (although you said your 6P performance is fine)?
    03-24-2016 12:32 PM
    I don't know what you are seeing but I read your post, switched to the Google Play store, and just flew through a huge list of apps with no lag at all.
    Could it be that he is scrolling the Play Store list before it's been downloaded fully from the internet? If I am on any app or site that isn't fully loaded, of course there is a delay getting down the list. I can duplicate his complaint by opening the play store, clicking Top Charts as an example, and scrolling the list before the list has chance to fully populate. If I wait about 3-4 seconds, then I can scroll the whole list fluidly.
    03-24-2016 12:40 PM
    I'll stay out of the argument about if it lags or not. That is because I BE SMARTS.

But it's a matter of running processes and threads. A CPU can only do X number of things at one time. A simplified way to look at it is that the four cores on your CPU can do four things at once — one task per core. If you try to do five things, the CPU has to switch between processes. This means that there is a measurable amount of time that a task isn't being worked on. When you have hundreds of tasks that all need to run, that measurable amount of time can be long enough that we can see it.

You mitigate this by assigning each task a priority. Higher priority tasks get to run before lower priority tasks. This is a big part of what people call optimization. Developers try to figure out what tasks need to run as often as possible to provide the best user experience. Samsung is getting really good at this, because they have to be good at it.

A phone like the Galaxy S7 has a bunch of features that need to be available for instant use. That means part of their software has to be running all of the time. Meanwhile, the threads that run the user interface are always running and need to be at the front of the queue. Add in apps that you've downloaded that need to stay alive and "listen" for things to happen, and you've got a long list of things that need to happen all at once. The CPU can't do this, so it switches back and forth as fast as it can (which is really, really fast) according to priority.

When your doing so many things that even high priority threads are waiting for their turn with the CPU, you notice it. And some people notice it more than others. There's no doubt that a phone like the Nexus is doing less "stuff" at once than a phone like the Galaxy S7 is, because the Galaxy S7 is capable of doing a lot more.

And this doesn't even take RAM and memory swapping into account.

I will say this — modern Galaxy S phones are the only phones out there that have the hardware to run all the things that are going on at once. If you tried to get as much "stuff" to happen on a Nexus 6P as a GS7 has going on, everyone would hate the experience. My time with the Galaxy S7 left me with the impression that Samsung is doing just fine when it comes to running a complicated User Interface and a long list of various features at the same time, and even if there are a few instances of stuttering, it's still an engineering marvel that they can do what they are doing on mobile hardware.

While you might be like me and not want all that "stuff" going on or not really like the interface, lag is no longer an issue with the Galaxy S7. It's one of the most impressive and capable computers available when it comes to a performance/feature ratio.
    03-24-2016 01:00 PM
    I'm genuinely curious why someone would replace a 6P with a carrier phone. What's driving this interest? The camera? The 820 Snapdragon (although you said your 6P performance is fine)?
    Hi, not decided if I'll keep the s7 but will use it for a bit to see. It's really just the physical size of the devices. The 6p is the best phone I've ever owned but I do struggle with one hand use and the s7 fits perfectly. There are many times where I just want to use one hand to operate and the 6p is very challenging to do that with.

Also the water resistance. I'm at many kids outdoor events with my kids and take lots of pics in various weather.

03-24-2016 05:34 PM
29 12