What's the advantage of the 4:3 ratio?

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
One advantage is when you print the picture the 4:3 ratio is better for picking the standard size pictures you want, or so i am told.

A photographer told me that.

I like the 16:9 better because it is full screen on my phone, but i guess i can see the advantage of that

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
16:9 is just a crop of a 4:3 ratio... they cut the top and bottom off to make it wide screen. There is no phone that shoots "real" widescreen photos, and there are only a few cameras that can do it... last I checked.

osta.doc

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
My thought is that if I send my pics to my TV, I want to have taken that pic using "widescreen" mode, so the entire image matches my phone pic?

It's what keeps me from trying an iPhone, which I really want to do. It makes zero sense that the iPhone won't allow widescreen.

You shouldn't have to employ a third party app to make that happen.

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
16:9 is just a crop of a 4:3 ratio... they cut the top and bottom off to make it wide screen. There is no phone that shoots "real" widescreen photos, and there are only a few cameras that can do it... last I checked.

The G4/V10 default to a 16MP 16:9 picture. the 4:3 version is actually the cropped version.

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Why have a 4:3 ratio? Why not use the entire screen for the camera?

Posted via the Android Central App

There is no advantage in the current state of mobile sharing. it was a standard for a very long time and many companies just stick to that standard even though it doesn't make much sense these days. LG is currently one of the only companies I know of that defaults to a 16:9 full resolution photo

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The G4/V10 default to a 16MP 16:9 picture. the 4:3 version is actually the cropped version.
I must have been out of it for awhile. The Note 4 16MP does the same thing as the G4/V10. Nevermind... don't listen to me... tonight's a bad night!

scupking

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I don't no what the advantage is but DSLRs are all 4:3. There is an option you can change it to 16:9. Thats what I have my S7 set at.

Liskrig

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
More versatile for editing. With 12 MP per photo, you can throw a 16:9 crop, or my personal favorite 2:1 to give your images the look of a movie still.

I always frame my shots with the intention of using a unique aspect ratio.