Changing the text tone for a contact, how can I do this?

kstout2013

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Changing the text tone for a contact

I have a Galaxy S7 running marshmallow. I know how to change the text ring tone for individual contacts and have successfully done that. However, I get texts from my work that come from an email address. I have changed the text tone for my work contact, however texts from them always play my default text tone. It's like my phone doesn't recognize that they are texting me because it's coming from an email address. Has anyone dealt with this or know if there's a way to fix it?

Last edited:

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Go to Contacts and open the contact you wish to adjust. Click Edit in the top right. Now scroll to the bottom and you will see a More button. Click on that and it will expand a bunch more options. Towards the bottom of the expanded options is Ringtone and Message Tone, which you can change specifically for that contact.

kstout2013

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Go to Contacts and open the contact you wish to adjust. Click Edit in the top right. Now scroll to the bottom and you will see a More button. Click on that and it will expand a bunch more options. Towards the bottom of the expanded options is Ringtone and Message Tone, which you can change specifically for that contact.

Please see that I HAVE changed the tone for contacts, I know how to do that. The problem is when I change the tone for my work contact, who texts me from an email address, it does not actually change the sound that is played when I get a text from them, even though I HAVE changed the tone through the contact options. I've changed other contacts (just people with phone numbers) and my phone plays whatever tone I change it to, like it is supposed to do. The problem is only with my work contact who texts from an email address.

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Ah, I must have jumped to a conclusion and skipped over some of your question. Sorry about that. For the message notification in Contacts, it must be specifically looking at the mobile number to determine the incoming message. Since it comes from an email address, that won't work.

The only other thing I can think of is to try an alternative messaging app, such as Textra. In Textra, you can long-hold a conversation and choose the Menu button and then change the notification for that specific contact. I'm assuming that would work for the email address, as you are setting it for that specific conversation/contact, rather than it looking at the mobile number like it does in Contacts. I like Textra much better than the stock SMS as it has so many more options and looks beautiful. Hope that helps!

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so. I created a ringtone that is about 5 seconds of silence named it silent and I assign this ringtone to those contacts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781