Price Drop? AT&T

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
So I definitely NEED a new phone since I'm using an old windows phone and have officially decided to switch over to android and go with the S7. My current phone does work, it's just annoying and not on the cutting edge. I didn't buy the S7 when it came out, so I have this feeling like maybe I should wait for the first price drop before buying it. I've waited this long, how much longer could it be? How long does it usually take before the first discounts come on these Galaxy phones? $700 is a lot of money for a phone...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't expect a price drop for a few months. Especially since they have/had BOGO deals at the start which was crazy enough.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
When I bought my S5 in May of 2014, it was on sale at WM (2 yr contract) for half price ($100). The phone had only been out for about a month. That's what I'm waiting on. My daughter agreed to do the BOGO but when I called to get the details, we didn't qualify. It had to be on DPP and one of the lines had to be new service :( Still waiting....

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't know how much you expect the price to drop but why don't you just get an S6 if the price is an issue. The different in the S6 and s7 won't be that big of a deal to you since either would be new to you coming from Windows

Posted via the Android Central App

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that is a lot. I paid $270 down and am paying $17 a month for mines with T-Mobile

Posted via the Android Central App

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Seems like I see a lot of phones drop in price like a month after release. Ugh...I just hate to buy it and then see it for $100 less or something a week later lol. And I'm not buying a 6 because the battery is too small on those and they don't have the latest android.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Seems like I see a lot of phones drop in price like a month after release. Ugh...I just hate to buy it and then see it for $100 less or something a week later lol. And I'm not buying a 6 because the battery is too small on those and they don't have the latest android.

If the drop was that soon you can usually get it credited to you. Most phones may have a quick sale but since all the carriers did BOGO I would be shocked to see anything in the immediate future. It is really up to you if you want to wait / gamble on when a sale will be.

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
It sucks they can afford to do a BOGO sale but can't afford to give a discount to single people looking to buy just one phone... ugh. Maybe I'll get mine this week. I'm really nervous about switching everything over and my contacts. Do I have to have a gmail account to use the Google Play Store?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
When I bought my S5 in May of 2014, it was on sale at WM (2 yr contract) for half price ($100). The phone had only been out for about a month. That's what I'm waiting on. My daughter agreed to do the BOGO but when I called to get the details, we didn't qualify. It had to be on DPP and one of the lines had to be new service :( Still waiting....
The s7 is currently $100 on contract at Best buy.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
The s7 is currently $100 on contract at Best buy.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you dpham00 :) Best Buy is 100 mile roundtrip so I called Walmart to see if they price match cell phone prices.
Waiting on a return call from the manager.
ps...they can't price match a cell phone contract. Guess who's making a 100 mile round trip today :eek:

Last edited:

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
My hunch is that you will not see a price drop this generation with all of the annual upgrade options coming out of Samsung's court. The only way the annual upgrade works financially for the carriers is if the value of the phone is still at least half of MSRP, so they're going to do everything they can to artificially keep the MSRP of the S7 as high as possible to be able to recoup their costs of those programs.

yeahizme

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Or try searching craigslist ....sometimes people are willing to depart with their beloved technology bc they need cash in hand...and are willing to settle well below what their technology is worth; HOWEVER, I don't see you finding a S7 or S7 edge for cheap due to the fact it is still fresh in the market- but miracles do happen and you just may find a seller who is strapped for cash. Just make sure the phone is legit. Hope you find what you are looking for @ a reasonable price.

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Just FYI, I'm not looking to sign any contract. You actually spend more money that way, and I don't even think AT&T offers contracts anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781