New S7- half screen is black

anon(8826006)

May 4, 2014
Visit site
So got my new Verizon S7 on Saturday. It made it less than 24 hours.

20160327_134729.jpg20160327_134755.jpg

Tried rebooting the phone (about 4 times now), and nothing changed. Can't even log in as I am unable to guess where the letters are to log in. Yes, the touchscreen is working in the black area.

What's interesting to me is the "screensaver" display with the time seems to work properly, but when I wake it up the video on the right is very obviously out. Exactly 50% of the display.

Had my old phone returned to service, and will be getting a new S7 today (everything was closed on Easter Sunday).

Anyone else seen such a failure?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There's something going on with your phone at the hardware/kernel level (the effect is somewhat familiar to people who try out custom kernels that have gfx issues). If it is persistent, there is probably little you can do to address it. But its not a result of damage, it's a defect and should be covered under warranty.

anon(8826006)

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Replaced today at the cell phone kiosk in my local Costco. The manager has been with them for 8 years and has never seen anything like that.

They just exchanged it for a new one. Took a little while to arrange but pretty pain-free.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Replaced today at the cell phone kiosk in my local Costco. The manager has been with them for 8 years and has never seen anything like that.

Oh, I wouldn't doubt it... on unmodified phones, this isn't something that is all that common. The only times I've seen a phone do this, the phone has been running a custom kernel and there was something screwed up in the build that the dev needed to address.

Braindamage2181

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
Yep same issue on my 3rd s7 in 4 months have 6 day wait for new one to come .....they try ed o say water damage could be issue but funny 8ts waterproof and never been near water