Bricked by overheating?

Bridget Booth

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I've had my TMo S7 for a couple of weeks. I was lucky enough to get it when the first wave of them shipped out. I got my Gear VR set today. I figured I'd check it out. I connected it and followed all the instructions. I created an Oculus account and let it download everything it needed, including a software update to the Oculus app. I left the phone on my desk to go take care of some stuff. I come back a few minutes later and my phone is rocket hot and 100% dead. It responds to no commands, no chargers, or being connected to my PC. It's an ex-phone.

TMo is replacing it with zero issues and I have a back-up phone, so I'm not terribly upset. I am curious, though, to see if anyone has seen a problem with either the phone dying after using the Gear VR or getting so insanely hot. FWIW, I did have download booster enabled, which I know tended to get my S5 a little warm. I'd love tips to avoid this in the future. I also gotta say, I'm a little caught off-guard. I've had a few issues with Samsung devices before (a certain washing machine comes to mind), but I've never had a piece of hardware from them just absolutely stop working.

Bridget Booth

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm really thinking it's just me. The spouse's Gear VR should be here tomorrow. It will be promptly going on Craigslist. Now, I don't think it's the headset, because one of my classmates is happily using the same VR set with his S6 with zero problems. YMMV and I hope it's considerably better.

Bridget Booth

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Get this, I got in from class and wanted to get one last chance with it. I plugged it into my PC and Phone Companion came right up and offered to transfer files. I think it's just the screen.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
My phone gets warm while using VR - not sure how warm though.
My S5 overheated while navigating using Google Maps, while charging. Within a day, it was dead.
So I now worry about the phone getting too hot. I'm just not sure how hot it can be before things get 'dangerous'...

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol