Google maps app not working on wifi on new s7

Cptchin2205

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
I have recently upgraded to a Samsung s7, as in last week. Did the whole two for one deal and got the wife one as well. Since then google maps hasn't worked in wifi. Works great in cell data, but in any wifi it can't connect. On either phone. I have tried it on my wifi, ran thru a Netgear ac1750 dual band and various free WiFi. I have cleared cache, data, uninstalled, reinstalled, restarted my phone all with the same results. Maps won't update or download while connected to wifi either, along with Google play for some reason. I even went as far to set a separate port forwarding in my router for 465 but no help. The actual maps website works great with zero issues, but the app can't find any location or navigate to anything. I also have location enabled with gps, cell data and wifi if that helps. Any help would be great! Thanks!

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
That's very odd. I just tried using only WiFi (enabled Airplane mode, then turned WiFi back on) and Maps worked fine. It located my position, was able to find other addresses, and got directions.
It's really odd that BOTH your phones won't connect. Hope you get it figured out.

Posted via the Android Central App

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm also on verizon with regular s7. And I tried maps with airplane mode on and also disabled mobile network and maps seem to load just fine .
Maybe double check Google map settings and settings on phone for Google maps.
That's weird yours don't work.
I hope you figure it out.

LanceAllan

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm thinking it's a router issue, try using a different WiFi source or try disabling ipv6 on your router and see if using just ipv4 fixes the issue

Sent from my Adamantium™ S7 edge

arodarte

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem, no way to download maps or google earth if using wifi, but cell data is fine. Use AT&T for cell and TWC for internet. Seems like Samsung should want to fix this major problem pronto if they want to keep selling this model.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
It's working fine for me.What are your location settings set to?

Long press the location quick settings icon and see what "Locating method" is set to.

Deewef

May 7, 2016
Visit site
I have the Samsung 6 also through Verizon. My phone recently updated to Marshmallow. Since that time I have experienced all the same problems with my Google Maps that you are describing as well as with other apps attached to my Google account. I have done 1 soft reset and two factory resets and maps still won't work over wifi. I'm still looking for a solution. Verizon has agreed to replace the phone but I am hoping to find the problem before that time.

LanceAllan

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
I have the Samsung 6 also through Verizon. My phone recently updated to Marshmallow. Since that time I have experienced all the same problems with my Google Maps that you are describing as well as with other apps attached to my Google account. I have done 1 soft reset and two factory resets and maps still won't work over wifi. I'm still looking for a solution. Verizon has agreed to replace the phone but I am hoping to find the problem before that time.

Have you tried on any other WiFi besides your own? Try a friend's and a couple public WiFi points and see if it works, it will help narrow down the problem

Krista Honchar

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Same problem. At&T phones. Comcast wifi. S7 phone. Maps works on data when out of my wifi range, but will not work when I am in the house connected to the house wifi. I know the wifi is working as phone confirms I am connected and I am using FB and messenger apps. When I turn on airplane mode and then manually turn on wifi, it works fine. Google Playstore also seems to be affected as I tried to install some other map tools and they wouldn't download until i did the airplane on/manual wifi thing. Maps worked just fine up until 2-3 weeks ago. I map stuff on my laptop and send it to my phone and LOVED it, but it won't work now. I have to send as a txt (rather than a pin) and open the txt once away from the house. HELP!

LanceAllan

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
Same problem. At&T phones. Comcast wifi. S7 phone. Maps works on data when out of my wifi range, but will not work when I am in the house connected to the house wifi. I know the wifi is working as phone confirms I am connected and I am using FB and messenger apps. When I turn on airplane mode and then manually turn on wifi, it works fine. Google Playstore also seems to be affected as I tried to install some other map tools and they wouldn't download until i did the airplane on/manual wifi thing. Maps worked just fine up until 2-3 weeks ago. I map stuff on my laptop and send it to my phone and LOVED it, but it won't work now. I have to send as a txt (rather than a pin) and open the txt once away from the house. HELP!

did you try disabling ipv6 on your router and see if using just ipv4 fixes the issue

Krista Honchar

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
I haven't tried that and I'm not sure I want to - I have an S6 for work that is working just fine, so I feel like it's sth in the phone itself for the s7. I have 2 gmail accounts - one for work and one personal - s7 is tied to personal, s6 is tied to the work addr. We have a 2.4 and a 5gh router and both are tied to the 2.4 signal. Otherwise, I can't see any differences between the two other than one works and one doesn't.

HedoBum

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
I have the polar opposite problem. New S7s (3 brand new ones on the same account)...all 3 of them will not search addresses when on phone data but when on WiFi, Google Maps works perfectly as it should.
I contacted my service provider (Bell) and they couldn't figure it out...they sent me to Samsung, who also couldn't figure it out. Samsung sent me to Google, who had no clue how the settings even worked out the S7. Half an hour with Google and dude sends me back to Samsung (actually SamsungUS, who for some reason had to send me to SamsungCanada). Back with Samsung Canada they once again didn't have a clue. So after an hour and a half on the phone playing "pass the buck" I finally found the answer...I have to find a different map app. Any good ones out there?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10