For some reason, idk why on both my s7's when you click record on the screen it feels like the screen zooms in. I tried changing from 4:3 aspect to 16:9 but still feels like screen automatically zooms in.

any thoughts ??
    04-04-2016 11:21 AM
    The video camera is usually less wide-angle than the still camera. I see the same phenomenon on my Nexus 6P.
    04-04-2016 11:24 AM
    For some reason, idk why on both my s7's when you click record on the screen it feels like the screen zooms in. I tried changing from 4:3 aspect to 16:9 but still feels like screen automatically zooms in.

any thoughts ??
    Turn off "video stabilization" in the camera app. Totally fixed the problem for me and have no zoom/crop issue anymore.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    04-04-2016 01:49 PM
    Why should we have to sacrifice video stabilization to get the video to NOT zoom in? Mine does the same thing. Just noticed it last night. I turned off vid stabilization and no zoom happened when I started the video. Do you think this is intentional? Not that way with my Canon SX50 HS bridge cam.
    04-04-2016 02:10 PM
    Why should we have to sacrifice video stabilization to get the video to NOT zoom in? Mine does the same thing. Just noticed it last night. I turned off vid stabilization and no zoom happened when I started the video. Do you think this is intentional? Not that way with my Canon SX50 HS bridge cam.
    Your aren't sacrificing anything. That is a digital stabilization setting, not an optical one. It's just a trick to get an illusion of more stability by cropping out the edges. That's all that does. Which is why you are seeing the "zooming". That's the edges being digitally cropped out.
    B. Diddy and paulhafer like this.
    04-04-2016 02:35 PM
    see this quote below, the bottom part is relevant to the electronic stabilisation, the phone has optical image stabilisation also so that is not effected by turning it off.
    It's not an "issue" it is there by design and a result of physical sensor dimensions and orientation. You can speak about professionals and what not but real photographers deal with this on a daily basis as nearly every DSLR shoots in 3:2 aspect ratio.

Switching to 16:9 formated 9.1mp and turning off the digital video stabilization which has no effect on the optical image stabilization built into the camera module will negate the cropping done by the phone when switching to video. I have tested this on phones in the store and know for a fact it works.

Digital video stabilization is done through a process which cuts out the exterior edges of the video in order to attempt to reduce vibration and shakiness. You can test this yourself by comparing the field of view with digital video stabilization enabled and disabled.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    04-04-2016 02:38 PM
    Maybe I'm missing something, but on My Galaxy S7 I've turned off Video Stabilization, and I still have the "zoomed" cropped video...? (Strangely, I don't recall this "issue," or characteristic, till just recently) Thanks for any further suggestion. Paul
    05-11-2016 07:42 AM
    Maybe I'm missing something, but on My Galaxy S7 I've turned off Video Stabilization, and I still have the "zoomed" cropped video...? (Strangely, I don't recall this "issue," or characteristic, till just recently) Thanks for any further suggestion. Paul
    What resolution are you recording in, some show as zoomed due to the crop in the sensor
    05-11-2016 11:18 AM
    Yes.
    One of the trade offs when using a zoom lens of any kind is instability the farther you "zoom" and the result is unsteadiness in the shot. If you turn off stabilization, no zoom allowed. In this case, Samsung [as other manufacturers do too] makes it people-proof for the best results.

The trick is whenever possible set your shot up without the zoom feature, and use slow and steady camera movement and again, if possible, move in closer with the camera instead of using the zoom.
    05-11-2016 11:47 AM
    I was confused by the video stabilization option. So we are saying no matter what the S7 has OIS on always, can't be turned off. The camera option "Video stabilization" is an additional software algorithm that runs on top of OIS. When should this be on? If I am setting and recording someone on stage and I keep the phone relatively still as far as my hands can hold it, is it better to have stabilization off so it doesn't inadvertently mess with my video quality? It is also going to be low-light if that makes any difference.
    05-11-2016 01:05 PM
    I was confused by the video stabilization option. So we are saying no matter what the S7 has OIS on always, can't be turned off. The camera option "Video stabilization" is an additional software algorithm that runs on top of OIS. When should this be on? If I am setting and recording someone on stage and I keep the phone relatively still as far as my hands can hold it, is it better to have stabilization off so it doesn't inadvertently mess with my video quality? It is also going to be low-light if that makes any difference.
    It has OIS which is always on, The EIS works by removing the edges and then using this overspill to keep the main portion stable, that's why people report the image zoomed. Also not all record modes use the same aspect ratio, so this will mean the sensor gets cropped, which shows as zoom.

the easiest way to see this would be to record some test shots using a grid with the different record modes.
    05-11-2016 01:47 PM
    In the 2 scenarios you have described and I've highlighted, my recommendation is to use a tripod with a purpose built camera, since it looks like you have time to prep for the event. Perhaps a grad ceremony or something...don't entrust your memories to a phone camera. If you don't own a "good" camera a reputable camera shop will rent something to you for the day and teach you how to set it up.
    05-11-2016 08:17 PM
    Your aren't sacrificing anything. That is a digital stabilization setting, not an optical one. It's just a trick to get an illusion of more stability by cropping out the edges. That's all that does. Which is why you are seeing the "zooming". That's the edges being digitally cropped out.
    So is there a fix to this or is it something you just have to live with for buying a 700 euro phone?
    03-29-2018 10:37 PM