I run my own small business so there are some things i type a lot, on my note edge i have numbers 1-6 set so if i pressed and held the key for a second my set text would appear. I can't seem to do that with my new galaxy s7.
    there's a similar option called "text shortcuts" but it only allows me to input a very short number of characters. Does anyone know if that was a note specific feature? i hope not
    04-05-2016 01:07 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Were you using the stock keyboard on the Note Edge, or a 3rd party keyboard?

I don't have an answer about the S7's stock keyboard, but you could also consider Fleksy, which has a good text shortcut feature. But Fleksy is tap-typing only, without the ability to swype-type.
    04-05-2016 02:44 PM
    SwiftKey might be a good idea.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-05-2016 02:51 PM
    Swiftkey won't let you define specific short cuts, but words you use frequently will start showing up as a suggested word pretty quickly.
    04-05-2016 05:00 PM
    i was using the stock keyboard.
    I downloaded Flesky, seems like it does it by adding a bar of keys you can customize, what i had was better because I could press and hold an existing key and it would give me the option to assign a new function to that key. ;( thanks for the reply
    04-05-2016 06:30 PM
    Word prediction with SwiftKey gets pretty scary accurate the longer it is used though.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-05-2016 07:08 PM
    I downloaded Flesky, seems like it does it by adding a bar of keys you can customize, what i had was better because I could press and hold an existing key and it would give me the option to assign a new function to that key.
    Actually, with Fleksy, you create Typing Shortcuts (essentially short abbreviations, like "wtac" for "Welcome to Android Central"). Then, whenever you type that abbreviation, the full text will appear. True, it requires more keypresses than a long-press, but it might actually be better in terms of typing flow. 9. How to set up Typing Shortcuts – Fleksy Customer Service
    dpham00 likes this.
    04-05-2016 11:00 PM
    I run my own small business so there are some things i type a lot, on my note edge i have numbers 1-6 set so if i pressed and held the key for a second my set text would appear. I can't seem to do that with my new galaxy s7.
    there's a similar option called "text shortcuts" but it only allows me to input a very short number of characters. Does anyone know if that was a note specific feature? i hope not
    I loved that feature on my old phone.
    I recently got the s7 and found a kind of new way. If you go to the keyboard settings, scroll to where you see text shortcuts, at the top, click "ADD" and then you can enter in a number, and type out what you want to appear as suggested text.
    07-16-2016 04:29 PM
    Yes! This is exactly what I'm trying to find out too - I had my old S5 set up so when i pressed and held , for example, the 1 key, it inserted a ! Sign, and I had all 10 numbers set up for the most used symbols. Theno find that they removed that awesome feature on this new "&improved"model? It makes no sense at alland I'm very unhappy about that. I did try the one option they have which is more intended for setting up shortcuts for common phrases, such as my email address. I find that when I type 1 for example, it lists the ! Symbol as I set up,however, sometimes I actually want a 1 and not a !. Is there any way we can let Samsung "powers that be" know how much many of us miss this feature and see if it's something they could re-add perhaps with an update?
    Jimmy Bernstein likes this.
    07-28-2016 04:01 PM
    You can use the Text Shortcuts in the keyboard setup utility. Just add the number you want and the phrase, anytime you type the number the phrase will show up on the suggestion bar. Instead of a long press it's 2 presses. No biggie.
    11-17-2016 07:44 PM
    This should be an easy update on the S7. It would certainly come in handy. I hope that Samsung considers it.
    11-27-2016 11:47 PM
    Go to setting
    General Management
    Language and Input ....open it:
    Virtual keyboard.... open it
    Samsung keyboard.... open it
    Put Predictive text "On" .....
    Press on Predictive text .... you will find "Text shortcut"
    Up right side in blue color there is ADD.... press
    Chose a shortcut like 1
    Chose for exemple the phrase or word let say your email
    Press ADD
    Finish